Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should we still consider moving to Perth?

Should we still consider moving to Perth?

Old Mar 30th 2011, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

floss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant future
Default Re: Should we still consider moving to Perth?

Sorry, wrote a long reply but thought I was a little unfair. In short, the answer would have to be, 'no.' Most of our time is spent with family or friends we met in the UK. They live in all different areas of Perth and work in all different sectors.

Last edited by floss in dubai; Mar 30th 2011 at 1:38 am.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by floss in dubai
Sorry, wrote a long reply but thought I was a little unfair. In short, the answer would have to be, 'no.' Most of our time is spent with family or friends we met in the UK. They live in all different areas of Perth and work in all different sectors.
I am familiar with the type of people Weebie has written about and he is not making it up. I am not one of this group, so I observe them with interest (like a visitor at a zoo) and can confirm that they are out there. Their attitude is not anti-British or anti-any other ethnic group or occupation group, but is based on location-snobbery.

I know an Australian family who live in the distant slum-like suburb known as Carine. Australian friends of theirs, who live in a Western Suburb location, refer to Carine and similar distant slum-like places as "out your way". A Western Suburbs junior football coach commented at our children's match, "I've never been to Carine before" (apologies to Carine, these were just two examples and both happened to be about Carine, a very nice suburb). My OH and I were speechless). I've heard dozens of similar comments over the years I've lived in Perth. If one is in a pesky frame of mind, one can always get back at them.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD
I am familiar with the type of people Weebie has written about and he is not making it up. I am not one of this group, so I observe them with interest (like a visitor at a zoo) and can confirm that they are out there. Their attitude is not anti-British or anti-any other ethnic group or occupation group, but is based on location-snobbery.

I know an Australian family who live in the distant slum-like suburb known as Carine. Australian friends of theirs, who live in a Western Suburb location, refer to Carine and similar distant slum-like places as "out your way". A Western Suburbs junior football coach commented at our children's match, "I've never been to Carine before" (apologies to Carine, these were just two examples and both happened to be about Carine, a very nice suburb). My OH and I were speechless). I've heard dozens of similar comments over the years I've lived in Perth. If one is in a pesky frame of mind, one can always get back at them.
Those 2 quotes by themselves ("out your way", "I've never been to Carine before") don't seem that indictable? What am I missing?
Old Mar 30th 2011, 11:58 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD

I worked relief at a primary school in Craigie last week. One of the teachers there lived in Innaloo and was asking me where I had driven from. She said it must have taken me ages to drive to work. When I informed her that it was in fact only 8 minutes she was very surprised. It isn't always snobbery, it is just pure ignorance and people with blinkers on to the world outside of their own little bubble. There are plenty of people the world over that don't believe life exists outside of their own boundaries. I am sure that as you say Western Suburbs people are just pure snobs. Again, location snobbery exists the world over.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 12:36 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Those 2 quotes by themselves ("out your way", "I've never been to Carine before") don't seem that indictable? What am I missing?
I don't even know where Carine is
Old Mar 30th 2011, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I don't even know where Carine is
You snob you!
Old Mar 30th 2011, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Which kind of brings us back full circle. If this is what the "Western Suburbs people" are like it's just as well I live happily in Bogan-land with my non-judgemental neighbours.

Damn that quality of life!
Old Mar 30th 2011, 2:41 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

To be fair there was once upon a time I remember it when Carine wasn't the desirable suburb it now is.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 2:43 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by northernbird
I worked relief at a primary school in Craigie last week. One of the teachers there lived in Innaloo and was asking me where I had driven from. She said it must have taken me ages to drive to work. When I informed her that it was in fact only 8 minutes she was very surprised. It isn't always snobbery, it is just pure ignorance and people with blinkers on to the world outside of their own little bubble. There are plenty of people the world over that don't believe life exists outside of their own boundaries. I am sure that as you say Western Suburbs people are just pure snobs. Again, location snobbery exists the world over.
Although ur statement is accurate it proves how important location is in this city and what your seeming to miss is that in Europe people will take on facevalue but in Australia they won't. (Canada is also similar)

The reality is that if you pay the 350-500k to live in a outer suburb you are a piece of shit to the locals that's all.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 2:45 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
Although ur statement is accurate it proves how important location is in this city and what your seeming to miss is that in Europe people will take on facevalue but in Australia they won't. (Canada is also similar)

The reality is that if you pay the 350-500k to live in a outer suburb you are a piece of shit to the locals that's all.
When I lived in the UK people also judged on where you lived. Some villages and suburbs in towns more desirable than others. Sadly it is a human trait.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 2:48 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by northernbird
When I lived in the UK people also judged on where you lived. Some villages and suburbs in towns more desirable than others. Sadly it is a human trait.
Absolutely, But here compared to many UK Villages people here have a lot more money.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 2:51 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Absolutely, But here compared to many UK Villages people here have a lot more money.
Not sure I agree with that. Lots of money in parts of the UK. Poverty and wealth live side by side the whole world over.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

I agree it does happen in Perth a lot with the desirable inner city suburbs - many people will not ever go outside of them unless visiting another country/state - I know of friends who've moved to places and now other friends refuse to visit them!

It's no different from London though, I remember an ex. who lived in Kent who'd never been North of the river, many people would refuse to travel to East/South East London for the fear of getting stabbed, and let alone any born Londoner ever going further North than Watford!

My personal rule for Perth is never travel anywhere outside of where the freeway turns into 2 lanes, and don't go East ever.... ;-)

Last edited by jimbo_d; Mar 30th 2011 at 3:10 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by floss in dubai
I find it sad that you have such a distorted/low view on Perth 'locals'. I'm a Perth local (kind of) and I don't live in the 'outer suburbs' but I have friends all over Perth. I'm heading out to Alexander Heights to visit our closest friends as we speak and I'm not an exception. Most people I know have friends from all over. Living in one area doesn't prohibit them from being friends. Jesus, we're not living in West Side Story, we're adults.

BTW, I wouldn't like to move from 81k in the UK to $130K in Perth. Just my opinion.
Afraid in my opinion there is considerable snobbery here in Perth, to the burb one resides in.
Quite pathetic of those who do partake in such trivea. Put it down in part, to the small thinking of some here.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
I agree it does happen in Perth a lot with the desirable inner city suburbs - many people will not ever go outside of them unless visiting another country/state - I know of friends who've moved to places and now other friends refuse to visit them!

It's no different from London though, I remember an ex. who lived in Kent who'd never been North of the river, many people would refuse to travel to East/South East London for the fear of getting stabbed, and let alone any born Londoner ever going further North than Watford!

My personal rule for Perth is never travel anywhere outside of where the freeway turns into 2 lanes, and don't go East ever.... ;-)
Part of the reason being also of course the distances to drive. Rather curtails social activities,add on the limited public transport options,along with the fact folk don't walk even limited distances....as well as the suburb thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.