Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Sensible Australian Election Thread

The Sensible Australian Election Thread

Old Jul 26th 2010, 2:26 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Sensible Australian Election Thread

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Any censorship is the thin end of the wedge. "Independent" agency my @rse.

Yes, I agree. The example I posted relating to filtering in Turkey demonstrates that any form of censorship like this is repugnant to the concept of democracy, irrespective of how well intentioned.

What really irks me about the ALP version, however, is the dogmatic and intransigent attitude that they have to it. Despite being shown that the filter won't work as intended and the easy work arounds that people can employ, the government continue to pursue this policy with a 'we know best' attitude.

And not to mention the array of opposition to the plan from virtually the entire IT industry and other notable groups including Google, Yahoo, the Green Party, Chief Justice Kirby, Amnesty International, the Australian Librarian Association, Save the Children and The US department of State.

Yet still they persist. Why exactly is that?

S
Old Jul 26th 2010, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

Yet still they persist. Why exactly is that?

S
I really wish I knew. I can understand Conroy wanting it as he is a Christian nutjob but he is only really a stooge and following orders. Maybe there is some truth in the rumour that he wants to stop people finding out about the antics of paedophile priests.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 4:51 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

There was a deal cut with the "Christian nut job" Stephen Fielding from Family First. Fielding is a someone who can help hold the balance of power in the senate.

I think Conroy would ditch the filter at the first opportunity such as a senate with a majority.

I noticed a liberal nut job was fired from running for a safe seat for saying muslims should not sit in parliament and that atheists should not run the country.
Originally Posted by NedKelly
I really wish I knew. I can understand Conroy wanting it as he is a Christian nutjob but he is only really a stooge and following orders. Maybe there is some truth in the rumour that he wants to stop people finding out about the antics of paedophile priests.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

I want to ban the phrase 'Fair dinkum'. I would be a happy person if I never hear thoes two words ever again. During the big (dull) debate I really wanted to cut off the mad monks dinkum and give it to Gillard on a silver platter, i thought that would be fair.

Seriously, a vote for the coalition will bring back the good old days of zero work security, you can be laid off at the drop of a hat and have no protection when it does happen. Good if your a small business holder, (see white wealthy).

I prefer labour but dont trust either of the main parties, I did feel sorry for Rudd but feel safer with Gillard as PM, something makes me scared about an overly religous person in charge.

If i could vote i would go green.

oh and im not fattist but am i the only one who thought the size of the member who was sacked 'cos of his anti muslim stance, was a huge problem.....cash for questions could end up as twinkies for questions. He would end up getting pizza delivered to his seat during question time.

Last edited by Sugo; Jul 26th 2010 at 1:16 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 6:34 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Sugo
Seriously, a vote for the coalition will bring back the good old days of zero work security, you can be laid off at the drop of a hat and have no protection when it does happen. Good if your a small business holder, (see white wealthy).
Why ?

Old Jul 27th 2010, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugo
Work security. No there's a oxymoron for you. There never has been, ever, such a thing as work security. All a vote for Labor will do is give power to the unions and they're not interested in work security. All they want is power and picket lines.

If you really care about the jobs then you need to vote for a party that looks after business because it is business that creates jobs.

I prefer labour but dont trust either of the main parties, I did feel sorry for Rudd but feel safer with Gillard as PM
With Gillard as PM this country will regress to the dark ages. Gillard is not a leader. She is not even an effective manager. She is seriously out of her depth.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:22 pm
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Work security. No there's a oxymoron for you. There never has been, ever, such a thing as work security. All a vote for Labor will do is give power to the unions and they're not interested in work security. All they want is power and picket lines.

If you really care about the jobs then you need to vote for a party that looks after business because it is business that creates jobs.
If it wasnt for unions there would be no health and safety, and no award standards. The country is working pretty well with both of those things and there are relatively few workers missing limbs and the such like. No award standards would have people living in poverty and being supported on welfare by the govenment from your taxes.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex_exile
If it wasnt for unions there would be no health and safety, and no award standards. The country is working pretty well with both of those things and there are relatively few workers missing limbs and the such like. No award standards would have people living in poverty and being supported on welfare by the govenment from your taxes.
Health and safety has gotten ridiculous. It's more to do with the overly litigious society we live in nowadays.

As for an award wage. I agree an award is a good thing but I believe that unions are no longer relevant and really don't do a great deal for workers.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 1:27 am

Workchoices gave the unions a boost and a new relevance. HSE is critical when you consider peoples lives and wellbeing are at stake. It cannot be negotiable yet it too often is.

IMO unions will always have a place as long as they use their power responsibly.
Health and safety has gotten ridiculous. It's more to do with the overly litigious society we live in nowadays.

As for an award wage. I agree an award is a good thing but I believe that unions are no longer relevant and really don't do a great deal for workers.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by IvanM
HSE is critical when you consider peoples lives and wellbeing are at stake. It cannot be negotiable yet it too often is.
Health and safety is important but there's being safe and being ridiculous. right now it's becoming ridiculous.

IMO unions will always have a place as long as they use their power responsibly.
And when do they ever do that?
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:27 am

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Health and safety is important but there's being safe and being ridiculous. right now it's becoming ridiculous.
Four dead through electrocution whilst installing pink bats, thats ridiculous.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ex_exile
Four dead through electrocution whilst installing pink bats, thats ridiculous.
That's stupidity by dodgy installers.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:38 am

The problem is people trying to enforce safety through excessive procedures when the big wins are in getting people to behave safely. I am not a member of the union where I work however they are powerful but do not strike and provide a good counter balance. In another thread you were complaining about employers taking advantage of workers.

And when do they ever do that?
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:42 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by IvanM
I am not generally Union friendly, but that makes sense.

Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:44 am

That's stupidity by dodgy installers.
Thats a health and safety failure and a tragedy for the workers and their families.... what do you think that health and safety procedures are for?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.