Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

SCHOOLS/LIVING IN THE WERRIBEE AREA

SCHOOLS/LIVING IN THE WERRIBEE AREA

Old Sep 3rd 2009, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough
Default SCHOOLS/LIVING IN THE WERRIBEE AREA

Hi everyone

I have been offered a job in Werribee and we are looking at moving to the surrounding area. I dont want to commute too far.

Does anyone live in this area? Are you able to tell me what it is like and what the schools are like?

Thank you for your help.

Karen
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 10:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SCHOOLS/LIVING IN THE WERRIBEE AREA

Hi Karen,

lots of areas in and around Werribee, depends on your requirements, ie:-

budget
travel time
school (children ages / catholic / other denom. / private etc)

Areas to consider......

Point Cook / Sanctuary lakes - new build
Altona / Williamstown / Newport / Seaholme - established

Schools around Point Cook are a bit of a mixed bag at primary. Point Cook primary (RAAF) seems to get a good review, Callanballac.....er........not so good (although I am sure there are those who are happy there)

Give us some more info, and I am sure you will get some good answers.

Regards

Peter

UK > Sanctuary Lakes > UK > Back to Melbourne next week
Old Sep 4th 2009, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

If you can get in to Werribee Secondary then go for it, although be warned it is a zoned school, so best to check the catchment area before you commit to a long term rental. If you look here: http://www.moving-to-melbourne.co.uk...kes_suburb.htm there is a list of schools and a bit of info about them. In regards to primary schools Point Cook Primary is a great school, although it is moving off the RAAF Base this next year and will start to offer prep to Yr9.
Hope this helps
Kate
Old Sep 4th 2009, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

We have two children, ages 6 and 10. I will be working at Werribee Mercy Hospital. I dont want to commute too far because I find this job pretty hard work and I think I will be working full time for the first year.

We want a school with a good reputation. We would prefer a primary and Ive seen some that go up to year 9 from prep which is great because it means they could be at the same school for a while.

We want a nice area to rent in. Somewhere clean and new(ish). We dont want to be in the middle of nowhere but dont want to be in a city. We are townies.

God - isnt it awful going in so blind! And that is why all the people on this site are invaluable!

Does that make it any clearer? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Karen
Old Sep 4th 2009, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Werribee Hosp is just off the freeway- if you lived towards Melbourne, you would generally be going against traffic unless your shift ends between 7 and 9am.

Hoppers Crossing would be fairly close, Altona, Seaholme, Williamstown etc for more established places. Newer places- there are loads springing up: Truganina, Williams Landing, Point Cook, Tarneit. Kind of depends what you want....it is really hard until you experience it for yourself and identify what is important.
(A friend of mine is a midwife at Werribee and she lives in Lara)
Old Sep 4th 2009, 10:46 am

Nat12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, Hoppers crossing is probably your best bet close and fairly cheap so you wont have to travel far.

I have heard good reports of Bellbridge primary school in this area and also Derrimut heath/Baden powell college if Im not mistaken I think they combined into one now going from prep to senior..??I know a teacher who works there and its supposed to be a nice school.

If you actually lived in werribee/Wyndham vale there is a nice new school that goes from prep - 7(its going up a yr every yr) called Manor Lakes college which I would also recommend.

Living in any of these areas would be ok for travel to and from work as fairly close to the hospital, look at going the other direction towards the city point cook etc it gets more expensive although very nice area.

Hope that helps a bit if you need anymore info please ask, I know a bit about the catholic schools also as I am working in after school care.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

I would avoid Hoppers Crossing and Werribee as places to live, they are a bit feral.

Point Cook, Altona, Kingsville, Yarraville, Williamstown would all be much nicer.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 1:13 am

Nat12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sr71
I would avoid Hoppers Crossing and Werribee as places to live, they are a bit feral.

Point Cook, Altona, Kingsville, Yarraville, Williamstown would all be much nicer.
True but these other places are more pricey and not as close to the hospital, I have heard that Altona isnt the best place to live either.
Williamstown is lovely I would like to live there
Old Sep 7th 2009, 12:49 am
Just Joined

BulletProof is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Point Cook, rent is around $300pw and Werribee Mercy Hospital is 5 minutes by freeway, and 1 stop away (Hoppers Crossing station) from Aircraft station. You'll always be moving against rush-hour traffic (if you work 9-5) whether by train, bus or car. It takes a heck of a lot longer to get to work if you live in Werribee, Hoppers Crossing or any of the surrounding areas north/west of the freeway just because of traffic.

HTH!
Old Sep 7th 2009, 12:54 am
Just Joined

BulletProof is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nat12
True but these other places are more pricey and not as close to the hospital, I have heard that Altona isnt the best place to live either.
Williamstown is lovely I would like to live there
Williamstown is very far away from Mercy Hospital and IMO is a lot more feral than the nicer places in Hoppers Crossing. Hoppers Crossing/Werribee/Wyndham/Tarneit are all very nice places to live with a lot of good people around. It's true that there are localized bad elements, but it's not as bad as the media makes it out to be. I'd stay away from communities anywhere in Australia with a lot of teenagers, as that's where the problems are with out-of-control parties and the like.