Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it really necessary to have a home phone in Australia?

Is it really necessary to have a home phone in Australia?

Old Jan 28th 2009, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it really necessary to have a home phone in Australia?

Originally Posted by fish.01
As others have suggested you can get naked dsl that includes adsl2+ broadband, phone line, free local and national calls all for $49.95 at www.iinet.net.au. No need for landline unless you have a monitored alarm or an alarm that rings your mobile when it goes off.

See http://www.iinet.net.au/naked-dsl/plans.html
Also includes approx 5 free english premier league matches and 4 replays / week. Also on demand repeats of ABC shows from last few weeks/month.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 11:42 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

My uncle hasn't had a landline in the UK for yearsand has no problem there. I think it's becoming more and more common across the world. Even more understandable here - Just say Telstra and you won't have to explain further There must be stacks of people these days without a landline, Tradies often don't, not even for business numbers.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 12:28 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by McBaine
Hi There ,
I think you should be ok , on just a mobile.
Not to sure about broadband though , if you wanted it ofcourse ?
you can do broadband without a land line. just gone wireless with bigpond and they sent out a home network thingy which uses a sim card for your line instead of your landline
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

I don't have a landline anymore. I use mobiles for all Australian calls then for the internet I have 3 mobile broadband with a wireless router which I connect the laptops to for surfing and the Skype phone to for international calls (I have a UK Skype number so family don't have to pay international rates and call me on my mobile)
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

neiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to all

Hi
We are considering getting rid of our landline with telstra and buying a skype phone for the house and just wanted to know if anyone else has done this and how they have got on with it.Also how do you get your broadband if you get rid of your land line i just do not se the point of paying for a land line we hardley use when we both have mobiles to.

Thanks
Neil
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by neiluk
Hi
We are considering getting rid of our landline with telstra and buying a skype phone for the house and just wanted to know if anyone else has done this and how they have got on with it.Also how do you get your broadband if you get rid of your land line i just do not se the point of paying for a land line we hardley use when we both have mobiles to.

Thanks
Neil
We have a 3 internet key plugged into a wireless 3g router. To this router we generally have (wirelessly connected) 2 laptops and our NetGear Wireless Skype phone. We have found it all to work OK, the biggest problem is the router needs a periodic reboot but that is just a case of turning the thing off and on. Our mobiles we have on the Virgin Free to V cap so it doesn't cost us anything to call each other.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neiluk
Hi

Thanks
Neil
If it's a home service you're after you could get naked dsl. See my two posts on it elsewhere in this thread. You get regular broadband without the speed and download limitations of mobile broadband. You can also plug in your regular wired or wireless handsets just like a regular landline (except you plug into router) and get high quality phone with free local and national calls (a lot better than skype). All for $49.95/mth.