Racism in OZ

Old Dec 3rd 2012, 2:28 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racism in OZ

Originally Posted by Zen10
I was offended by the insinuation that the entire country "was racist" and let that be known.
There was absolutely no insinuation! Can you highlight it in the OP?
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
.. unhelpful douche bag replies ..

If you actually use that term in conversation, the USA might be better for you. What a pathetic American insult.

Australia may *seem* more racist, but that is because racist terms in the UK are used here in a non-offensive manner.

Skippies, poms, wogs and pakkis* are all terms for groups of people with similar ethnic backgrounds. After living in the UK for 20 years, I hear these sorts words used in Aus and still wince a bit. They are usually used by the people to describe themselves.

(*Other terms are available)
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

bignick has a spectacular aura aboutbignick has a spectacular aura aboutbignick has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Bibbs

Skippies, poms, wogs and pakkis* are all terms for groups of people with similar ethnic backgrounds. After living in the UK for 20 years, I hear these sorts words used in Aus and still wince a bit. They are usually used by the people to describe themselves.

These words have not yet been sanitized by the do-gooder PC brigade, and I hope they never do! Amen to Australia 4 that. I am Scottish and don't mind being called a Jock/Porridge wog etc etc, yet in some UK quarters certain words are a no-no (pakis eg... a simple shortening of Pakistani same as Scot and Scottish). I get even more confused when some words become a no go for one section to use but ok for another (n****r comes to mind) If people don't want to be called it then don't use the word themselves...reasonable wouldn't u say??

I am also noticing that the word racist tends to be used against mainly white males, yet other sections of society can hurl the 'racist' slanders with complete impunity.

My wife has also noticed this....and shes Asian
Still...what can u do.......
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 6:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bignick
These words have not yet been sanitized by the do-gooder PC brigade, and I hope they never do! Amen to Australia 4 that. I am Scottish and don't mind being called a Jock/Porridge wog etc etc, yet in some UK quarters certain words are a no-no (pakis eg... a simple shortening of Pakistani same as Scot and Scottish). I get even more confused when some words become a no go for one section to use but ok for another (n****r comes to mind) If people don't want to be called it then don't use the word themselves...reasonable wouldn't u say??

I am also noticing that the word racist tends to be used against mainly white males, yet other sections of society can hurl the 'racist' slanders with complete impunity.

My wife has also noticed this....and shes Asian
Still...what can u do.......
I wasn't aware that the "N"word was used by or acceptable to any part of society nowadays? Same as "Paki", generally used as an oiffensive term and not one we encourage on here; I struggle to see the similarity between that and "Scot"
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 7:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I wasn't aware that the "N"word was used by or acceptable to any part of society nowadays? Same as "Paki", generally used as an oiffensive term and not one we encourage on here; I struggle to see the similarity between that and "Scot"
Agree Polly. I don't mind being referred to as a Pom and it is definitely not the same as calling someone a Paki.

Before I moved here, I had read that it was simply a shortening, now I am here I would have to say that is untrue. I cannot imagine any Australian I know using terms like that and thinking it was ok.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 7:46 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Agree Polly. I don't mind being referred to as a Pom and it is definitely not the same as calling someone a Paki.

Before I moved here, I had read that it was simply a shortening, now I am here I would have to say that is untrue. I cannot imagine any Australian I know using terms like that and thinking it was ok.
Yes I agree, I cant see any of our Australian friends using the term full stop. I have heard sports commentators using it almost as if it is acceptable. It has absolutely nothing to do with being PC or any of that nonsense, there is plenty of PC crap in Australia, it is just a matter of respect.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 7:47 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Thanks to most of you for the constructive answers - particularly monkeyalan, bignick, chochobnob and chris955. The rest of you cheers for the unhelpful douche bag replies. It was a genuine question so to those of you who gave your opinions thank you. I'm not really sure why it's so outrageous to ask such a thing, perhaps it was the way I worded it.
No problem. Some people can be quite precious and sensitive about their new home and arent keen on any perceived slur.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bibbs

If you actually use that term in conversation, the USA might be better for you. What a pathetic American insult.

Australia may *seem* more racist, but that is because racist terms in the UK are used here in a non-offensive manner.

In the UK the term "Paki" has been deemed offensive and in Australia it is deemed as a shortening of the word or country Pakistan. Perhaps this is because the immigration of Pakistani people is far less in Australia therefore there is no need to group Pakistani's.

There was a TV commericial in Australia in the 80's that advertised the cricket triangular series and the catch cry went something like "here we go, the Aussies, the Windies, the Paki's". No offense was intended and no one jumped up and down like a PC prat.

Did an Australian ever take offense to being called an "Aussie"?
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 8:47 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
In the UK the term "Paki" has been deemed offensive and in Australia it is deemed as a shortening of the word or country Pakistan. Perhaps this is because the immigration of Pakistani people is far less in Australia therefore there is no need to group Pakistani's.

There was a TV commericial in Australia in the 80's that advertised the cricket triangular series and the catch cry went something like "here we go, the Aussies, the Windies, the Paki's". No offense was intended and no one jumped up and down like a PC prat.

Did an Australian ever take offense to being called an "Aussie"?
So what about abo? Abbreviation or offensive?
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
What do you think? The point being is what is good for one should be good for all. If you can shorten or stick a vowel on the end of one nation or racial group then why can't you do it for another. It's more discriminatry to say "oh it's OK for the Aussies but no good for the Pakis .... whoops sorry ... the Pakistani's" - you get what I mean.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 9:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst I accept that many consider these terms abhorrent, I will always consider them simple shortened terms. Until of course, they are used with aggression and/or an abusive word before them. Paki/Abo/Pom/Jock in my mind is harmless. Someone saying aggressively ****ing Pak/Abo/Pom/Jocki is obviously out of order.

However, they are considered to be abusive nationally and so probably shouldn't be used but I agree with others, if they are considered wrong, the nationals themselves should not use them about each other.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I can accept some Australians use the word Paki non offensively as all my knowledge about it being offensive comes from reading about/living in the UK. A lot of Australians would be like me and avoid it because of this but some wouldn't know and use it in the Australian way as a shortening. In an internet world and with a big increase in migrants from the sub continent this second group would be shrinking now.

No Australian growing up here should have missed the point that Abo has been used as a pejorative for a long time (like Paki in the UK) so I think it is clearly offensive.

Last edited by fish.01; Dec 3rd 2012 at 9:37 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bignick
(pakis eg... a simple shortening of Pakistani same as Scot and Scottish) ...
You've honestly not heard people in the UK using that as an offensive term? The only time I ever heard people using it was when they were being offensive. I really find it incredible that anyone who lived in the UK can think it's a 'simple shortening' - did you live in an area with very few people of Pakistani origin?

I have witnessed several verbal attacks on the basis of race and encounter racism fairly frequently in conversation here. I don't know that I would necessarily say that Australia is more racist than the UK, but I think it is generally far more acceptable to make racist comments here than it is in the UK. That is not to say that all, or even many, people I meet are racist, but I do notice it more than I did living in the UK.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 9:43 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Almo
You've honestly not heard people in the UK using that as an offensive term? The only time I ever heard people using it was when they were being offensive. I really find it incredible that anyone who lived in the UK can think it's a 'simple shortening' - did you live in an area with very few people of Pakistani origin?

I have witnessed several verbal attacks on the basis of race and encounter racism fairly frequently in conversation here. I don't know that I would necessarily say that Australia is more racist than the UK, but I think it is generally far more acceptable to make racist comments here than it is in the UK. That is not to say that all, or even many, people I meet are racist, but I do notice it more than I did living in the UK.
I think some are saying that racist comments are made in a 'friendly' way in Australia. I find Australia generally no more or less racist BUT noticeably more in country areas and North in places like Townsville, Cairns etc.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Abbreviations of words such as Paki or Abo are offensive if people find them offensive. Why would this cause so much confusion? That's something you would teach a child. If you know what you're saying may be perceived as offensive, then maybe you shouldn't say it. Unless your intention is to offend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.