Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland public servants declare war on Newman

Queensland public servants declare war on Newman

Old Jul 18th 2012, 6:47 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Queensland public servants declare war on Newman

Originally Posted by Pollyana
They get biscuits?!! no-one tell Newman, he'll soon put a stop to that
I still have mine
Old Jul 18th 2012, 7:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
I still have mine
Any chance of a Red Cross package?! - There's a Twiglet shortage here too
Old Jul 19th 2012, 1:32 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Next in the Newman firing line...I know we have some Brisbane parents on here with musical kids, hope this doesn't impact on them

EDUCATION Minister John-Paul Langbroek has identified $22.8 million in cuts for his department and confirmed the axing of the Fanfare school bands festival.

As The Courier-Mail reported today, the $88,000 biennial festival and the $86,000 MOST (Musically Outstanding Students) program have been scrapped by the Newman Government.

About 19,000 school children participate in Fanfare, which will have its final festival in Brisbane at the end of the month.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Next in the Newman firing line...I know we have some Brisbane parents on here with musical kids, hope this doesn't impact on them

EDUCATION Minister John-Paul Langbroek has identified $22.8 million in cuts for his department and confirmed the axing of the Fanfare school bands festival.

As The Courier-Mail reported today, the $88,000 biennial festival and the $86,000 MOST (Musically Outstanding Students) program have been scrapped by the Newman Government.

About 19,000 school children participate in Fanfare, which will have its final festival in Brisbane at the end of the month.
He's really started war with this one, the petitions are up everywhere.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 9:14 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Kim67
He's really started war with this one, the petitions are up everywhere.
I'm not surprised, what a programme to attack
Old Jul 19th 2012, 10:36 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

$22.8 million in cuts
$88,000 biennial festival
$86,000 MOST

He resists until close to the time of the vote/implementation; then relents. Result, a bunch of parents think they've won a victory, but in the meantime he's bought relatively easy passage for $22.6 in education cuts (that parents would usually give him hell over) with a spend of $170k - which he probably wasn't fussed about in the first place.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, a***hole, his children are protected in their own little world of private school, but for those of us that have chosen to take our kids out of private schooling and into the public system to take advantage of schools with excellence programs (one of the big one's music) this is a real kick in the pants. I dropped middle child to school for band this morning at 7.30am and eldest has cello this afternoon so am hoping that the music teachers send home some type of petition for us all to sign too.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 2:42 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Kim67
Yep, a***hole, his children are protected in their own little world of private school, but for those of us that have chosen to take our kids out of private schooling and into the public system to take advantage of schools with excellence programs (one of the big one's music) this is a real kick in the pants. I dropped middle child to school for band this morning at 7.30am and eldest has cello this afternoon so am hoping that the music teachers send home some type of petition for us all to sign too.
Your family was one of those that came to mind when I saw the article as I know your kids are very into music and the Arts.
If it was sport being cut there would be a huge outcry, but these subjects seem to be first for cuts every time, really unfair.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Your family was one of those that came to mind when I saw the article as I know your kids are very into music and the Arts.
If it was sport being cut there would be a huge outcry, but these subjects seem to be first for cuts every time, really unfair.
Thanks, let's hope the Ballet Program doesn't suffer the same fate.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 12:45 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I'll be interests to see what the ramifications are on daughters' school. They do an enormous amount of extra curricular music and the school are particularly proud of there competition winning choirs and string ensembles... (for some reason the wind band are rubbish).....
The principal seems really keen to promote music whenever he's speaking to parents.... Particularly interesting since Newman is our local member!!

(FYi - no I didn't vote for him, either directly or indirectly)
Old Jul 20th 2012, 1:18 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by DadAgain
I'll be interests to see what the ramifications are on daughters' school. They do an enormous amount of extra curricular music and the school are particularly proud of there competition winning choirs and string ensembles... (for some reason the wind band are rubbish).....
The principal seems really keen to promote music whenever he's speaking to parents.... Particularly interesting since Newman is our local member!!

(FYi - no I didn't vote for him, either directly or indirectly)
I thought I remembered you talking about music at school. Brought up in a very musical family myself, and my nephew is now studying Music and Professional Performance at university - we always had plenty of music of all kinds around us at home, but so many kids are totally reliant on schools for music and singing; I feel really sorry for those who will now lose out
Old Jul 21st 2012, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

rajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond repute

I know I'm not the only one on here who works for Queensland Government in some capacity, there are a number of us, some more open about it than others, which is fair enough. This isn't a political rant, and I don't want the thread to become that. I have less than no interest in politics,
[/I]
Maybe there in lies the problem....you cant keep politics out of politics. Victoria is going through something similar but on a much smaller scale as the libs here dont have a thumping majority. I guess people get what they voted for :-(
Old Jul 21st 2012, 8:08 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is that a person, a company, a State or a Country cannot live beyond it's means forever.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

rajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
The problem is that a person, a company, a State or a Country cannot live beyond it's means forever.
So what exactly are you saying - that the public servants SHOULD be fired because we cannot afford them?
Old Jul 21st 2012, 8:15 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

But cutting too many jobs has a serious negative impact, not only on the individuals concerned - but the whole economy.

Rising unemployment leads to increases in benefit payments so government costs go up, at a time when revenues are falling because of lost taxes and peoples response to rising unemployment is often to spend less and save for rainy days. So you end up fairly quickly in a downward spiral which is hard to get out of.

By the way - whats the story with politicians hiring family on temp contracts when all others have been laid off - thats got to be a sticky issue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.