Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ping pom confused UK>Perth>UK>Perth>Melbourne>UK?

Ping pom confused UK>Perth>UK>Perth>Melbourne>UK?

Old Sep 1st 2014, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ping pom confused UK>Perth>UK>Perth>Melbourne>UK?

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Can you get x-rays bulk-billed? I'd be interested to find out more about this

Super is often overlooked when somparing salary/packages. For most people it is least an extra 9.5% on top of salary - a not insignificant sum

Total super is now close to $2 trillion - much bigger than our GDP of about $1.5 trillion. In anyone's language, that's big

Definitely and Ultrasounds, not sure about MRI's though.

Ring around the local providers in your Yellow pages or via google.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 7:16 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

I'll do that

Thanks
Old Sep 1st 2014, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

sam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to behold

You can get those tests bulk billed you just have to find the correct service provider. When a doctor prescribes a xray or blood tests you dont have to go to the provider he stipulates. You can take your form to ANY provider and they will still do the tests as prescribed. So it pays to ring around and find your local bulk billed provider.

Personally I get 5 weeks holiday per year, plus public holidays and right now I'm sitting on 180 days long service leave, which I can take at half pay if I want and double the length of time. IE: I can take a full year off at half pay after 19 years. These conditions are provided by Australia Post. We also get 14.5 pct superannuation, the average full time postal worker (Postie/Night sorter) is sitting on an income of circa 70K per, (As long as your doing the average amount of overtime, of about 4 hours per week averaged over a year, so for 42 hours per week) annum Plus 14.5 pct employer super. Compare that to the Royal mail in the UK. We also get holiday homes and other perks at a very cheap rate. That would apply to all the fulltimers in the Aus post work force of circa 35,000 employees, which is one of, if not the largest employer in Australia..

My wife a Mental health Nurse earns more, has similar condtions and has slightly more Long service leave after 20 years in the Melbourne Health System.

I'm not sure that anywhere else in the world gives it's employees 6 months of off work on full pay after 20 years servce ? On top of their normal holiday entitlement.

Edit forgot to add, after 20 years and not taking many sickies during her time in the Government hospital system my wife is sitting on circa 35 weeks sick pay entitlement. I'm sitting on about 30 weeks.
So after twenty yeas you get the entitlement that you get after 12 months in the Uk. That sees balanced.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

sam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Of course LSL originated in Australia, NZ and India to allow those working in the colonial service to have an extended stay in Blighty. i.e. we have LSL because of Ping Pong Poms which is ironic that LSL is questioned by same.

"Long service leave is a benefit unique to Australia and New Zealand (and possibly some public servants in India) and relates to their colonial heritage. Long service leave developed from the concept of furlough, which stems from the Dutch word verlof (meaning leave) and its usage originates in leave granted from military service.

In the 19th century, furlough as a benefit as it is now known, was a privilege granted by legislation to the colonial and Indian Services. In Australia, the benefits were first granted to Victorian and South Australian civil servaknts. The nature of the leave allowed civil servants to sail 'home' to England, safe in the knowledge that they were able to return to their positions upon their return to Australia.[citation needed]

The concept spread beyond the public service over the period 1950 to 1975, mainly as a result of pressure from employees seeking comparability with the public service.

Nowadays, long service leave is ingrained in Australian culture and is specified by state based and some federal legislation. Interestingly, it is often not taken when it falls due, leading to calls to reduce long-service entitlement in the public sector."
Remember that LSL is an artefact of poor annual leave loading. And one has to be employed 10 years to be entitled to this. I'd prefer annual leave entitlement.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sam&molly
So after twenty yeas you get the entitlement that you get after 12 months in the Uk. That sees balanced.
Read #60
Old Sep 1st 2014, 7:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Seek and ye shall find:
http://westernradiology.com.au/index.php?p=1_4

I always thought that this kind of thing was not BB

Last edited by Amazulu; Sep 1st 2014 at 7:45 am.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Of course LSL originated in Australia, NZ and India to allow those working in the colonial service to have an extended stay in Blighty. i.e. we have LSL because of Ping Pong Poms which is ironic that LSL is questioned by same.

"Long service leave is a benefit unique to Australia and New Zealand (and possibly some public servants in India) and relates to their colonial heritage. Long service leave developed from the concept of furlough, which stems from the Dutch word verlof (meaning leave) and its usage originates in leave granted from military service.

In the 19th century, furlough as a benefit as it is now known, was a privilege granted by legislation to the colonial and Indian Services. In Australia, the benefits were first granted to Victorian and South Australian civil servants. The nature of the leave allowed civil servants to sail 'home' to England, safe in the knowledge that they were able to return to their positions upon their return to Australia.[citation needed]

The concept spread beyond the public service over the period 1950 to 1975, mainly as a result of pressure from employees seeking comparability with the public service.

Nowadays, long service leave is ingrained in Australian culture and is specified by state based and some federal legislation. Interestingly, it is often not taken when it falls due, leading to calls to reduce long-service entitlement in the public sector."

I wonder what percentage of the Australian workforce gets this federal entitlement nowadays though ? It definitely used to be the vast majority, when I entered the Aus workforce back in 1980. I'd say it's possibly below 50 pct these days with all the contract employees out there.

There is definitely a two tiered employment system in Australia though, Those with federal award protection and those on contracts. It's a lot like carte blanche in taking advantage of those people that dont know the Aus work environment, for the base worker at least.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 7:40 am
Proudly Deplorable

I wonder what percentage of the Australian workforce gets this federal entitlement nowadays though ? It definitely used to be the vast majority, when I entered the Aus workforce back in 1980. I'd say it's possibly below 50 pct these days with all the contract employees out there.

There is definitely a two tiered employment system in Australia though, Those with federal award protection and those on contracts. It's a lot like carte blanche in taking advantage of those people that dont know the Aus work environment, for the base worker at least.
I'm a contractor (always have been) so don't get it. Then again I earn at least 50% more than if I was a permie

The alleged 'job security' of full-time employment is an excuse to pay you less IMO - when it comes to booting out time, being an employee makes no difference from what I have seen
Old Sep 1st 2014, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If I hadn't have taken any sickies during my time with my employer, I'd have at least 52 weeks with them after 19 years.

It's all about accrual with the Australian system.

One other thing about the LSL, is after the 10th year, you dont have to wait another 10 years to get another lot, from the day you qualify you are credited 9 days extra leave per year.... 12 days in my wifes case (in Victorian government health services) for some reason.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 1st 2014 at 7:53 am.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 7:59 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Ping pom confused UK>Perth>UK>Perth>Melbourne>UK?

One other thing about the LSL, is after the 10th year, you dont have to wait another 10 years to get another lot, from the day you qualify you are credited 9 days extra leave per year.... 12 days in my wifes case (in Victorian government health services) for some reason.
Is that the case everywhere? If so - woohoo!

BB
Old Sep 1st 2014, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Is that the case everywhere? If so - woohoo!

BB
Well it is with both of us BB.... Pretty sure thats universally the way LSL works.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

You only get 87 quid a week.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 8:27 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Well it is with both of us BB.... Pretty sure thats universally the way LSL works.
I'm pretty sure it's not the way it works...just to be clear, you're claiming that after 10 years there is suddenly additional annual leave entitlement?
Old Sep 1st 2014, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bcworld
I'm pretty sure it's not the way it works...just to be clear, you're claiming that after 10 years there is suddenly additional annual leave entitlement?
Nope LSL accrues at 9 days per year from that point, it's a separate entitlement that you can take "anytime" after 10 years. LSL becomes fully accessible after 10 years.

It's quoted on our payslips as days available, people take it all the time, even after using up bulk amounts.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 8:40 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
We get it in SA - Long Service Leave :: SafeWork SA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.