Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth job offer, AUD1600 dayrate

Perth job offer, AUD1600 dayrate

Old Sep 14th 2011, 4:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth job offer, AUD1600 dayrate

Originally Posted by irishbloo
I did on St Patricks day but with blackcurrant in it.Not anymore now I dont drink.
I had one the other week - and regretted it on the first sip.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 4:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itigo
I buy bananas old and cheap, and just nod when the guy says - they're only good for banana bread now love. We relish every mouthful and when the youngest got a stool to nick a 2nd the other day, the firing squad were there immediately.........
Like your women?
Old Sep 14th 2011, 5:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cubeonly
Hi NSK...

Well, my problem is having trawled the web I am not getting a clear picture of the cost of living in Perth and whether it's spiralling.

Then the company offers me double the day rate I would expect to get in UK (why? I ask myself!).

Which adds up to making me nervous about the whole thing. I feel there's a catch.

In my experience, if something looks too good to be true, then it's too good to be true.

That's where I'm at, plain and simple.

Cheers,

The catch isnt 'can I live on 200,000 a year its can my family and I survive ( emotionally ) on opposite sides of the world.

Or the location of where you are going to work, has 'remote' been mentioned.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itigo
Oh dear, a little bit of wee just escaped I laughed so much!!!
Im glad my wit has that much effect on people.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The catch isnt 'can I live on 200,000 a year its can my family and I survive ( emotionally ) on opposite sides of the world.

Or the location of where you are going to work, has 'remote' been mentioned.
Yes.I really would have to think twice if I was offered $70,000 to live on the other side of the world as a single person for three quarters of the year.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Yes.I really would have to think twice if I was offered $70,000 to live on the other side of the world as a single person for three quarters of the year.

Old Sep 14th 2011, 5:49 am
New To Perth!

ScotsSal is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been living in Perth for just over a month and this is what I've been through... I earn double what I did in my last salaried job in the UK, but I seem to have less disposable income, even though I budget a hell of a lot more here than I ever have before. Everything is so expensive (2-3 times more expensive than what I would pay for like things in the UK, like accommodation, food, drink, satellite TV, broadband etc). So, don't expect to feel richer because you earn double what you earnt in the UK as your spending will most likely at least double too, especially if you want to live in a decent, close to CBD area and have an active social life (which, by the way is almost impossible to find, in my opinion, in Perth as everywhere is so quiet and everyone is so clique-y, so it's hard to make friends) and whether you can drive (as everywhere is out in the suburbs and it can be difficult relying on the busses, although the trains are ok) and what you plan to do at the weekends. So far, there's almost nothing I've found enjoyable about being here, and I just keep my fingers crossed that what my work colleagues say that "it gets better in summer" is true as I'm tied here for a minimum 18mths commitment.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

cubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ScotsSal
I have been living in Perth for just over a month and this is what I've been through... I earn double what I did in my last salaried job in the UK, but I seem to have less disposable income, even though I budget a hell of a lot more here than I ever have before. Everything is so expensive (2-3 times more expensive than what I would pay for like things in the UK, like accommodation, food, drink, satellite TV, broadband etc). So, don't expect to feel richer because you earn double what you earnt in the UK as your spending will most likely at least double too, especially if you want to live in a decent, close to CBD area and have an active social life (which, by the way is almost impossible to find, in my opinion, in Perth as everywhere is so quiet and everyone is so clique-y, so it's hard to make friends) and whether you can drive (as everywhere is out in the suburbs and it can be difficult relying on the busses, although the trains are ok) and what you plan to do at the weekends. So far, there's almost nothing I've found enjoyable about being here, and I just keep my fingers crossed that what my work colleagues say that "it gets better in summer" is true as I'm tied here for a minimum 18mths commitment.
Scotsal thanks very much for your honest info!

Give it a bit longer (6 months +) before you consider any decision to quit - on my travels I do that as a rule and always seem to settle in (inc the remote places).

I'm relocating from Abn too. I'm budgeting double everything and it still seems worth it (on paper!).

I'll spend a year or so in Perth then after about a year I might think about bringing wifey and daughter out but the thing is wifey and I are not really hubby-wifey. . . nothing's simple!

Socially, out of work I go to the gym almost every day, and go out and get blooted at the weekends, so would seek to do the same in Perth. So as long as there's a nice posh gym and more than one pub, I'm ok.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScotsSal
Scotsal, hopefully you'll find things a bit livelier now that winter's over, as Perthites do tend to hibernate over the short, sharp winter, and there isn't a lot of the bbq lifestyle going on, certainly in the evenings. It takes a lot of effort to find an activity or place where you can find similar souls. What sort of work do you do and is your workplace somewhere where people are friendly?
Old Sep 14th 2011, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Socially, out of work I go to the gym almost every day, and go out and get blooted at the weekends, so would seek to do the same in Perth. So as long as there's a nice posh gym and more than one pub, I'm ok.
That's what most people here do to entertain themselves, you'll fit in fine
Old Sep 15th 2011, 2:32 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Give it a bit longer (6 months +) before you consider any decision to quit - on my travels I do that as a rule and always seem to settle in (inc the remote places).

I'm relocating from Abn too. I'm budgeting double everything and it still seems worth it (on paper!).

I'll spend a year or so in Perth then after about a year I might think about bringing wifey and daughter out but the thing is wifey and I are not really hubby-wifey. . . nothing's simple!

If you are on a sponsored Visa it is pretty easy to get a de facto partner Visa as well, especially if you have a family with your partner. I am sure there are plenty of peeps on here who can advise on that.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 2:38 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
If you are on a sponsored Visa it is pretty easy to get a de facto partner Visa as well, especially if you have a family with your partner. I am sure there are plenty of peeps on here who can advise on that.
If all he does is go out at the weekend and get 'blooted' then if I was his wife I would be happy he was moving to the other side of the world!!
Old Sep 15th 2011, 4:55 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Then the company offers me double the day rate I would expect to get in UK (why? I ask myself!).

Without knowing what your branch of engineering is, and how much experience you have, I would expect that you happen to have a skill set that is in very short supply in Perth at present - probably in mining or oil & gas. The rate you are quoting is pretty high even for Perth and so you must have something to offer that your prospective employer needs and just can't get anywhere else.

Also the fact that you refer to a 'day rate' implies to me that you are being employed on a contract or casual basis, as otherwise I would expect to see a salary mentioned.

Last edited by KJCherokee; Sep 15th 2011 at 5:00 am.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

cubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by northernbird
If all he does is go out at the weekend and get 'blooted' then if I was his wife I would be happy he was moving to the other side of the world!!
Oy fishface, why so personal? You don't know me and my circumstances - if you did you certainly would not have posted that!
Old Sep 15th 2011, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Without knowing what your branch of engineering is, and how much experience you have, I would expect that you happen to have a skill set that is in very short supply in Perth at present - probably in mining or oil & gas. The rate you are quoting is pretty high even for Perth and so you must have something to offer that your prospective employer needs and just can't get anywhere else.

Also the fact that you refer to a 'day rate' implies to me that you are being employed on a contract or casual basis, as otherwise I would expect to see a salary mentioned.
Hi thanks for your info! It's a contract and certainly not casual.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.