Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth job offer, AUD1600 dayrate

Perth job offer, AUD1600 dayrate

Old Sep 13th 2011, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

cubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant future
Default Perth job offer, AUD1600 dayrate

Hi,

I have been offered an engineering job in Perth, AUD 1600 dayrate. I would work about 220 days a year. Superan comes out of the AUD 1600. I reckon my net dayrate would be about AUD 950 (with LAFHA factored in).

Local terms, so rent etc., car, flights home, etc. all to my account.

I would be in Perth while family stay at home in UK.

I am not sure, noting that Perth appears an expensive place to be.

I reckon I would spend approx. AUD 70,000 per year in rent, utilities, car purchase payments, insurances, food, entertainment.

Is it enough? Would I be able to save about AUD 60,000 a year?

Cheers!
Old Sep 13th 2011, 10:21 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth job offer, AUD1600 dayrate

Originally Posted by cubeonly
Hi,

I have been offered an engineering job in Perth, AUD 1600 dayrate. I would work about 220 days a year. Superan comes out of the AUD 1600. I reckon my net dayrate would be about AUD 950 (with LAFHA factored in).

I reckon I would spend approx. AUD 70,000 per year in rent, utilities, car purchase payments, insurances, food, entertainment.

Cheers!
Well, assuming that you are taking home $950 per day x 220 days ... and you estimate costs at $70k... then of course it is more than enough ? Or perhaps I am misunderstanding your post.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

cubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant future

Asprilla thanks for your reply.

The potential unknown to me, and hence my post, is the cost of living in Perth. The dayrate offered is double what I can expect to get in my line of work in the UK, so I'm nervous that the reason it's double is because Perth is very expensive and therefore I might not be any better off considering I would blow AUD 70,000 in Perth (plus I reckon AUD 12,600 a year in flights to and from UK)!

Cheers,
Old Sep 13th 2011, 10:41 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

The potential unknown to me, and hence my post, is the cost of living in Perth. The dayrate offered is double what I can expect to get in my line of work in the UK, so I'm nervous that the reason it's double is because Perth is very expensive and therefore I might not be any better off considering I would blow AUD 70,000 in Perth (plus I reckon AUD 12,600 a year in flights to and from UK)!

Cheers,
There's plenty of good info on cost of living on this forum, use the search function to find the relevant threads. $80k for a single person in Perth is a very good budget in my opinion. Even if you end up spending $120k you'll still achieve your savings goal (if my maths is right).
Old Sep 13th 2011, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Cheers!
Whether you could save $60,000 a year depends if you have to send money home to to your family in the Uk.If you can save $60,000 you will be doing well.I got paid today and it was gone in one afternoon.Mind you,it was only $100.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Whether you could save $60,000 a year depends if you have to send money home to to your family in the Uk.If you can save $60,000 you will be doing well.I got paid today and it was gone in one afternoon.Mind you,it was only $100.
Oh you are just like me I spend my earning before even it reaches my account.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 11:44 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,
Perth is expensive but COL is not double that of the UK. Overall a bit more when everything is factored in (caveat being that this is for residents living here permanently. If you are temp then costs are usually higher - wherever you live).
Old Sep 13th 2011, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Irishbloo; good point.

My wee spreadsheet indicates the following per year:
> Net pay = AUD 964 x 220 days = AUD 212000

> Cost of me living as single in Perth = AUD 70,000
> Cost of flights to and from UK = AUD 13,000
> Send money back to wifey back in UK = AUD 60,000

> Which leaves AUD 69,000, as savings etc.

Is AUD 70,000 a sensible budget for me as a single in perth?

Cheers,
Old Sep 13th 2011, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I have been offered an engineering job in Perth, AUD 1600 dayrate. I would work about 220 days a year

Cheers!
Are you seriously suggesting that you need to ask if knocking on $200K is enough to live on?

Are you winding us all up? I'm not quite sure how to untangle the irony that someone apparently worth $200K a year doesn't have sufficient ability to figure this out without posting the question.

Are you just blindly fishing for compliments?
Old Sep 13th 2011, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Irishbloo; good point.

My wee spreadsheet indicates the following per year:
> Net pay = AUD 964 x 220 days = AUD 212000

> Cost of me living as single in Perth = AUD 70,000
> Cost of flights to and from UK = AUD 13,000
> Send money back to wifey back in UK = AUD 60,000

> Which leaves AUD 69,000, as savings etc.

Is AUD 70,000 a sensible budget for me as a single in perth?

Cheers,
Just checking, but do you like bananas.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Hi NSK...

Well, my problem is having trawled the web I am not getting a clear picture of the cost of living in Perth and whether it's spiralling.

Then the company offers me double the day rate I would expect to get in UK (why? I ask myself!).

Which adds up to making me nervous about the whole thing. I feel there's a catch.

In my experience, if something looks too good to be true, then it's too good to be true.

That's where I'm at, plain and simple.

Cheers,
Old Sep 13th 2011, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Just checking, but do you like bananas.
Actually yes I like them very much.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Actually yes I like them very much.
You might struggle on $70,000 then unless you just eat them at weekends.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

You might struggle on $70,000 then unless you just eat them at weekends.

How much are bananas then?
Old Sep 13th 2011, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

How much for a pint of Stella in a pub?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.