Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth House Prices Plummet

Perth House Prices Plummet

Old May 5th 2009, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth House Prices Plummet

Nothing really dramatic happening in Melbourne as of yet... Unless you live in the high end of town.

All that appears to be happening here is the gap between the top end of town and bottom end is narrowing.

Lets see what happens with the FHOG, I dont see how the government can afford to change it at present.

For more detailed information read the following report.

http://diamond-valley-leader.whereil...es-fall-again/

I concur totally with IvanMs appraisal that there has been a major slow down of houses on the market.

Here's the most upto date article I can find at present.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...54-643,00.html

Looks like it's Melbournes biggest slump since 2004...

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...938920983.html

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 5th 2009 at 4:08 am.
Old May 5th 2009, 5:08 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

RBA has kept rates on hold.
Old May 5th 2009, 7:55 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

The places that are really falling are areas filled with British and Irish immigrants that most Perthites wouldn't even bother to visit.

Areas in central areas yes are falling but compared to Woodvale or mandurah no way near
Old May 5th 2009, 9:18 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Perth House Prices Plummet

Originally Posted by IvanM
I am not denying the idiocy of plenty of people but also the blind matter in which people take out a mortgage without thinking of the possibility that rates go up and the inability to unlock oneself from a mortgage, especially fixed rate deals. Rather than contacting a responsible advisor they contact mortgage brokers who will always give the answer they want to hear. In the belief the brokers are reputable they believe the salesman because that is what they want to believe. They also believe that housing only goes up which comforts them in their ways.

My point is that regulation is needed to rescue the financially illiterate and ignorant. The regulation is also needed to prevent the financially reckless from putting the economy at risk as had happened.

A case in point is QANTAS. Had the US hedgie got his fax off in time right now QANTAS would have $10billion in loans due to the private equity takeover. Right now QANTAS is capitalised at $5billion and would have been wrecked by the current crisis. A consortium of bankers would have raised a fortune in fees yet the tax payer would have taken on the wreckage. The QANTAS board wanted the takeover because they would have earned a huge sum (Geoff Dixon $50million).
Yes, I completely agree. REIA seems to be little more than a PR firm for the real estate industry these days. A cleanup for the real estate industry is well overdue.
Old May 5th 2009, 9:53 am

Very true however they are consistently in the top 3 political donors. A side affect of this downturn is lower donations.
Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Yes, I completely agree. REIA seems to be little more than a PR firm for the real estate industry these days. A cleanup for the real estate industry is well overdue.
Old May 5th 2009, 10:03 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Perth House Prices Plummet

Very true however they are consistently in the top 3 political donors. A side affect of this downturn is lower donations.
Oooh, nasty!
Old May 5th 2009, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Dorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really nice

Oh Ivan,

How could you be so cynical........?
Old May 5th 2009, 10:35 am
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

Absolute bollocks, its well known some of these suburbs stil ahve saleability because of this fact.

Originally Posted by Weebie
The places that are really falling are areas filled with British and Irish immigrants that most Perthites wouldn't even bother to visit.

Areas in central areas yes are falling but compared to Woodvale or mandurah no way near
Old May 5th 2009, 11:03 pm

Oooh, nasty!
I should clarify. I mean the real estate industry as a whole however those donations can be channeled through multiple sources.

Even more worrying is the donations to federal labour by companies interested in funding from Rudd bank.
http://business.smh.com.au/business/...0309-8tbo.html
Old May 6th 2009, 8:34 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I am not denying the idiocy of plenty of people but also the blind matter in which people take out a mortgage without thinking of the possibility that rates go up and the inability to unlock oneself from a mortgage, especially fixed rate deals. Rather than contacting a responsible advisor they contact mortgage brokers who will always give the answer they want to hear. In the belief the brokers are reputable they believe the salesman because that is what they want to believe. They also believe that housing only goes up which comforts them in their ways.

My point is that regulation is needed to rescue the financially illiterate and ignorant. The regulation is also needed to prevent the financially reckless from putting the economy at risk as had happened.
I agree totally.
A lot of people are financially illiterate and if a mortgage broker tells them they can afford a property they believe it. They do the figures, see that they can afford the monthly payment because they are both working and have a low interest mortgage. it doesn't occur to them that interest rates can go up significantly.
We didn't make that mistake even though the bank offered us a lot more than we took - but I won't condemn those who did. Regulation is what's needed.
Old May 6th 2009, 9:44 am

We can talk about self responsibility all we like but as with banking self regulation we know there are too many that cannot help themselves.
Originally Posted by Kapri
I agree totally.
A lot of people are financially illiterate and if a mortgage broker tells them they can afford a property they believe it. They do the figures, see that they can afford the monthly payment because they are both working and have a low interest mortgage. it doesn't occur to them that interest rates can go up significantly.
We didn't make that mistake even though the bank offered us a lot more than we took - but I won't condemn those who did. Regulation is what's needed.
Old May 6th 2009, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

I bet Ocean Reef wont plummet now!!
Old May 6th 2009, 10:52 am
Fighting my corner

Question Re: Perth House Prices Plummet

We can talk about self responsibility all we like but as with banking self regulation we know there are too many that cannot help themselves.
Firstly, the banks are not entirely self regulated; we have government regulation as well. Secondly, I don't know what you mean by "many that cannot help themselves". Help themselves in what way? Do they just walk down the street and suddenly find themselves in debt through no fault of their own? Are they ambused by a pack of wild subprime mortgages while waiting for the bus of a morning?

If I get a credit card and run it into the red, then get another credit card and do the same, and then do it again with a third, I can't simply blame the bank and walk away. I have to take responsibility for the fact that I willingly took on more debt despite knowing that I was unable to meet my original commitments.
Old May 6th 2009, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

northernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
I bet Ocean Reef wont plummet now!!
Wouldn't get too excited about Ocean Reef's new harbour. Hillarys and Mindarie have not outperformed Perth's average house price over the last 5 years, don't see how Ocean Reef will differ.

Hillarys house prices Mar 08/Mar09 -9.3%, Perth Metro area -5.4%.
Hillarys house prices +11.8% over 5 years, Perth Metro area +14.3%.

Source REIWA

Mindarie house prices Mar 08/Mar09 -0.4%, Perth Metro area -5.4%.
Mindarie house prices +13.5% over 5 years, Perth Metro area +14.3%.

source REIWA

So looking at Hillarys & Mindarie, having a harbour hasn't really driven up house prices above the average.

*feeling very ABCDiamond right now and pleased with myself*
Old May 6th 2009, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

northernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to all

If I get a credit card and run it into the red, then get another credit card and do the same, and then do it again with a third, I can't simply blame the bank and walk away. I have to take responsibility for the fact that I willingly took on more debt despite knowing that I was unable to meet my original commitments.
Sounds similar to a drug addiction and not blaming the dealer......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.