Reload this Page >

OZ BOOM is over?...house prices falling & rates might drop

OZ BOOM is over?...house prices falling & rates might drop

Old Jul 9th 2010, 7:36 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: OZ BOOM is over?...house prices falling & rates might drop

Originally Posted by freebo
But surely, its different here
It does appear so, for some weird reason....

London
Average asking price for all London properties for sale in June 2010 was £656,925 (based on 16,580 advertised properties). http://www.londonpropertywatch.co.uk/avg_prices.html
So if these are 33.8% overvalued, the real value should be £490,975 or about 18 times the median UK full time wage.

Using the same reasoning for
Sydney.
Average Sydney House Prices $510,000 http://www.myrp.com.au/sydney_house_prices.do
So if these are 61.1% overvalued, the real value should be $316,770 or about 5.2 times the median Australian full time wage.

How do they work these things out ?

Although these do compare UK asking prices v Sydney RP data pricing, the difference of 18 times to 5.2 times, cannot be explained by that.

My calculations would show, based on a real property value of 4 times average wage:

London would be £108,000 which means London is 608% overvalued
Sydney would be $240,000 which means Sydney is 212% overvalued

Maybe I got something wrong... anyone fancy checking it ?

Old Jul 9th 2010, 9:10 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
about 18 times the median UK full time wage.
Why use the median UK and not the specific inner London median?

If you look at wages, there is a greater difference across the UK than there is across Australia.

Stop bending the stats to fit.

(you sure you're not a politician?)

[On one hand Jeremy Beadle had a small todger, but on the other hand it was quite big]

Last edited by coolshadows; Jul 9th 2010 at 9:13 am.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 1:53 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by coolshadows
Why use the median UK and not the specific inner London median?
So we should compare the inner London median wage to the Australian overall wage ? You really think that is a fairer comparison ? Not bending anything to suit ?

But if you say so...

So, the Inner London median house price compared to the average Australian house price is....
Is that what you think is fair ? Or does it only apply to one side of things, when it suits ?

If you want to compare the inner London median wage, then you also need to compare the inner Sydney Median wage, neither of which I have. Do you have these two figures handy ?

Old Jul 9th 2010, 10:44 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to compare the inner London median wage, then you also need to compare the inner Sydney Median wage, neither of which I have. Do you have these two figures handy ?
Sorry Diamond but that has to be the single most boring question i have ever known.

I'll be interested in the outcome tho
Old Jul 9th 2010, 11:19 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
Sorry Diamond but that has to be the single most boring question i have ever known.

I'll be interested in the outcome tho
OK, i'll work on it

In 2001 when the NSW average wage was $37,191, it appears that Inner Sydney was more like $77,000.
But then, defining inner Sydney isn't easy.

If we assume that is about right, then the current inner Sydney average wages would be about $145,000 (or £82,000)

From personal experience, when I was working in the Sydney CBD, in the early 1990's, an accounts clerk in our office got about $30k-35k, and a qualified CA about $75k -$90k. These are the figures I recall from doing the payroll. But this was dead centre CBD. I think I was on about $50k in 1992.
Note: these are not averages, just a few actual examples from my own experience.

Old Jul 10th 2010, 3:06 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

So we should compare the inner London median wage to the Australian overall wage ? You really think that is a fairer comparison ? Not bending anything to suit ?

But if you say so...

So, the Inner London median house price compared to the average Australian house price is....
Is that what you think is fair ? Or does it only apply to one side of things, when it suits ?

My point - wages in inner London are likely more than double (or even x3) the UK median. You can't say that about Sydney (or any other city in Australia).
Old Jul 12th 2010, 1:29 am
ABCDiamond

In 2001 when the NSW average wage was $37,191, it appears that Inner Sydney was more like $77,000.
But then, defining inner Sydney isn't easy.
My point - wages in inner London are likely more than double (or even x3) the UK median. You can't say that about Sydney (or any other city in Australia).
I think I did in my earlier post.

Old Jul 12th 2010, 1:59 am
Pie Eater

That was almost 10 years ago.

Do you believe that the median Inner Sydney wage is around $140,000 or more today?
Old Jul 12th 2010, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

How do they work these things out ?
"More concerning, however, is our analysis of “fair value” in housing, which is based on comparing the current ratio of house prices to rents with its long-term average. By this measure Australian property is the most overvalued of any of the 20 countries we track. "

From http://www.economist.com/node/165428...42826&fsrc=rss

Last edited by freebo; Jul 12th 2010 at 2:09 am.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 2:35 am
ABCDiamond

That was almost 10 years ago.
It was only about 4 hours ago

Old Jul 12th 2010, 2:39 am
ABCDiamond

Do you believe that the median Inner Sydney wage is around $140,000 or more today?
Maybe it is ? If they were double the average NSW wage in 2001, what would have changed for them to be no longer double ?
Have the lower paid had much faster wages rises than those in the higher paid areas to bring the difference closer ?

Old Jul 12th 2010, 3:49 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Have the lower paid had much faster wages rises than those in the higher paid areas to bring the difference closer ?
Yeah, like THAT's going to happen.

Old Jul 12th 2010, 4:48 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo
"More concerning, however, is our analysis of “fair value” in housing, which is based on comparing the current ratio of house prices to rents with its long-term average. By this measure Australian property is the most overvalued of any of the 20 countries we track. "

From http://www.economist.com/node/165428...42826&fsrc=rss
This is a very poor article.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
This is a very poor article.
Comments please.

So, can you better it? Show us your analysis or better still your highly geared investment portfolio -

Actually, I agree with the article because rents are driven by what people can actually afford to pay versus house prices are determined by credit. My rental is $400 a week, house is worth around $600K and would cost around $800 a week mortgage with minimal deposit. Why aren't I being charged $800 a week then? Because we couldn't afford it and the I doubt if anyone else would pay that asking price. This is where I believe The Economist is correct in it's analysis.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Comments please.

So, can you better it? Show us your analysis or better still your highly geared investment portfolio -
Maybe its a bunch of leveraged rental properties!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.