Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Opening a bank account in Australia...

Opening a bank account in Australia...

Old Jul 10th 2008, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

louisey66 will become famous soon enough
Default Opening a bank account in Australia...

Hi there,

just to ask, can i and should i open a bank account b4 i get 2 Australia?

obviously i dont have an address as yet so would that not allow me??

Thanku x
Old Jul 10th 2008, 2:32 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Opening a bank account in Australia...

Originally Posted by louisey66
Hi there,

Thanku x
We kinda opened our account prior to arriving in Oz.. Wespac have a migration system whereas you open your account but it is not activated until you arrive in Australia. You then have to go into the bank and spend a couple of hours just going thru all the paperwork.. (can take about 1-2 hours)..

We didnt have an address either, but we did know that we were going to be arriving in Perth, so that is the branch we set up in.

To organise the inital setup from the UK, we phoned the call centre for Westpac (just google Westpac)..

You can transfer monies across but once they are in the account you can't access those funds until you activate the account. (We did one transfer to ensure that the funds transfered from the UK account whilst we were still in the UK, if you see what I mean)..

Em x
Old Jul 10th 2008, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

louisey66 will become famous soon enough

thanku v much Em, think ill go 4 that x
Old Jul 10th 2008, 3:24 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by louisey66
Hi there,

Thanku x
You can open an account before you go. I've been in touch with Westpac here in London and am in the process of opening an account. You can activate it before you go, they just need to 'sight' you here in the UK with the appropriate forms of identification.

- CDM
Old Jul 10th 2008, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

I just did that on Wednesday altho we haven't transferred any monies yet. we are hoping to transfer in the next week or so, just to get the money out of our current a/c. When it's there I think I can spend spend spend

Lynn xx
Old Jul 10th 2008, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

maxtye has a spectacular aura aboutmaxtye has a spectacular aura aboutmaxtye has a spectacular aura about

I've spoken to Firstdirect & they have no problem with me keeping my UK account but I'd assume you need an Oz account to pay your wages in & to pay your bills.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

AberJazz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

I opened one in Sydney when I arrived it took about 10 minutes to do the paper work and I had to deposit $500 into my current account to open the account and an instant access internet saving account at the same time.

To receive the cards and all the paper work took about a week, and it was a straight forward process. I chose ANZ as they had a great internet banking savings account that has a great rate and no strings access. I also got a free ANZ blue Elephant piggybank which was the deciding factor on why I chose ANZ

Take it Easy
AberJazz
Old Jul 10th 2008, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

brissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond repute

Ive opened an account with National Australia Bank.

Get emails from a guy who has been appointed our account manager.

Will go in on Monday and transfer 95% of our savings over.

There was no way in gods earth I was carrying thousands of dollars on me.

So far it all seems very easy.