Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Northern Beaches Sydney

Northern Beaches Sydney

Old Aug 2nd 2010, 11:42 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Northern Beaches Sydney

Originally Posted by Dijana01
Thanks. I work with adults and I'm not sure the job market is as good as if I was a paediatric Speech Therapist. But let me know if your OH thinks otherwise...

Had a look at Hunters Hill. OMG. Beautiful but not really in our league!! We need at least 4 beds and a place big enough in Hunters Hill would be little more than a fantasy!
If you need AT LEAST 4 bedrooms then you will struggle on the Northern Beaches with less than a $1000pw rental. They are there but not in the best places for transport of schools.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 1:09 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I work with adults and I'm not sure the job market is as good as if I was a paediatric Speech Therapist. But let me know if your OH thinks otherwise...

Had a look at Hunters Hill. OMG. Beautiful but not really in our league!! We need at least 4 beds and a place big enough in Hunters Hill would be little more than a fantasy!
I'll ask about adults, don't know if they'll know so much. It is mostly kids - there's been a lot of money washing around for kids esp for Autistic kids.

Yes, Hunters Hill is expensive, for sure. There are some very nice parts of Gordon, Pymble, Wahroonga. You can live half in the bush up there. It's good if you live close to a station and can take the train somewhere useful, bad if you have to take the Pacific Highway anywhere (it's not a highway).
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 1:29 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
I'll ask about adults, don't know if they'll know so much. It is mostly kids - there's been a lot of money washing around for kids esp for Autistic kids.

Yes, Hunters Hill is expensive, for sure. There are some very nice parts of Gordon, Pymble, Wahroonga. You can live half in the bush up there. It's good if you live close to a station and can take the train somewhere useful, bad if you have to take the Pacific Highway anywhere (it's not a highway).
Ain't that the truth!!!!!
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 3:57 am
Just Joined

sanchachas is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'm from Dorset came over 10 years ago to Sydney lived along the northern beaches for 7 years we lived in Manly, Brookvale and Dee Why where we found it all to busy and false so we moved off the coast to Forestville which is just 20mins to beach and 20mins to north Sydney, Ryde trains, great shops but still had a great country feel. We all loved it there for 3 years and we do have kids which was another reason why we moved there as the houses had great gardens. There is also some really cool parks and a public swimming pool within 5mins.
Good Luck with it all Sydney is a great city, we all live on the Gold Coast now loving it here also lol x:
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 5:04 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

welcome to the board, sanchachas. Don't be a stranger.

You're right - there are some very nice places in Forestville/Frenchs Forest.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 11:21 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Says 'Under Construction'
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 11:22 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by NBKH
Don't forget to look me up if you come in this direction I can help with schools and orientating you to a new area
Also join my facebook page for news about the area
Lesley
Is this a business you are setting up and do you charge?

Last edited by Sue; Aug 9th 2010 at 11:19 pm. Reason: url removed from quote
Old Aug 4th 2010, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone.

My family and I are moving to Sydney in January. Its all happening really fast and I am panicking a bit.

He will be working in North Ryde. Like lots of people we want to be close to the beach. It looks on the map like Mona Vale road leads right to North Ryde.

Does anyone have any thoughts on living somewhere around the Mona Vale or other Northern beaches? What would you recommend? We will rent for a while until we feel ready to buy... How long will it take him to get to North Ryde in rush hour?

We will have a 4 and 6 year old. What are the schools like? I'm a Speech Therapist for adults and will have to temp for a while. I understand that it will take me an hour and a half (?) if I work in central Sydney but also know there are other hospitals around and one in Mona Vale?

Many thanks for your advice.
Dijana
There are a number of suburbs near and not far away from the beach. For a family home in a nice area with good schools you might like to look where we settles: Frenches Forest, Davidson, Belrose area. 30 - 45 minutes to the CBD
and twenty minutes to the Beach. I don't think you could do the CBD from Mona Vale in less than an hour.

Good luck.

Ian
Old Aug 4th 2010, 10:48 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Yes please contact me for my current hourly rate at
Http://www.northernbeachesknow-how.com.au

(too many wwwwwwwww's in the last post!!!!!)
Hmmmm I prefer to give all advice and help here for free, I have offered to drive people to house viewings and suburb visits as well. No need to make money from someone elses uncertainty but then I suppose there is always a buck to be made for those with an 'entreprenerial' spirit.
I hope your venture goes well,
There was someone else doing a similar thing based out of QLD. Had a really annoying Northern accent yet was convinced she was now talking with an Aussie accent!! Sold videos and DVDs purporting to represent life in Oz, was absolutely woeful....totally amateurish and so self indulgent.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
Epping Road is NOT Northern Beaches. It is North Shore.
I lived in Manly and now Seaforth and I am at work in Potts Point, door to door, within the hour for both suburbs using public transport.

Having lived on Northern Beaches for 2 1/2 years now, and worked in the CBD and Rydalmere using public transport for that period I think I can give a pretty good opinion of the live/commute issues.
Living on the Northern Beaches is a no brainer, lots of beach/reserve/cafe's/bars for family fun. As a parent of a 5 yr old boy we are in no doubt at all that he is in the right area to develop both physically and mentally. I also feel that as a parent I have improved because the lifestyle here encourages you to get out and about and so spend time with your children. Schools are excellent and Child Care is plentiful, although both are pricey if you are on a 457 Visa (are you?). The geography of the beaches makes for plentiful areas to enjoy but, it also limits some journeying due to lack of rail. However, the Manly ferry, both regular and Jetcat, run very regularly and are a fun way of commuting and actually bloody enjoyable. That is ok if you are in that area, if north of Brookvale then you are relying on the bus to get to the CBD, can be anywhere between 20-40 mins depending on where you get on the bus. They are plentiful and can be quick, but, just like ALL cities in this world, you pick a bad time and every bus, car and van will also be on the roads for school trips! If you work anywhere other than the CBD be prepared for plenty of bus/ferry/train changes and a lot longer. Rydalmere takes me an hour and a half!! On a good day!!
In the OP situation I would seriously look at a different perspective. If the main income earner will be working in North Ryde then I would seriously look at getting a house with a pool, that way the beach isn't quite so necessary and you can get some around Hornsby areas for decent rent. Hornsby is excellent for Rail links to Ryde, CBD, Gosford etc etc. and I would of lived there myself if it wasn't for my OH work being in Seaforth. If you desperately want to be near to the beach, and I can understand that it will make you feel as if you actually IN Australia, then yes Mona Vale would probably be easier for North Ryde, but, in reality any of them would be ok as you can just get on the Warringah Freeway and then join up with the Mona Vale Rd via the Forest Freeway. Look at Dee Why and Collaroy as well, good beaches and decent rental prices and far cheaper than Manly areas.
Finally, and I think this is extremely important, DO NOT make any final decision until you get here. Sydney is a vast place and until you arrive and actually try some journeys out you won't get the true perspective. Take at least 2 weeks to get a grasp of the suburbs and their demographics, the good ones and the bad ones will soon become obvious and your OP's work colleagues will be able to help with commute time examples in his first couple of weeks. This is a big decision for you and believe me, irrespective of the advice we all give on here, it will not prepare you for actually being here yourself. It is great and I love it, but moving here is a giant leap for a lot of families and taking the time to find the right home is very important.

Having lived om the northern beaches for the past 20 months, I can confirm that Paddyo has given a damn good description of commuter/habitant life of it My opinion? take that advice!

If your hubby is ok with tough commuting but excellent week-end/days off with the family, then Northern beaches has beaches/cafes/beautiful parks and things to do...That's why we live here. I have to put up with the hassle with commuting from here, but the missus and my 11 year love it
Come week-ends, I love it too...(But not on mondays )
Old Aug 4th 2010, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

NBKH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paddyo
Hmmmm I prefer to give all advice and help here for free, I have offered to drive people to house viewings and suburb visits as well. No need to make money from someone elses uncertainty but then I suppose there is always a buck to be made for those with an 'entreprenerial' spirit.
I hope your venture goes well,
There was someone else doing a similar thing based out of QLD. Had a really annoying Northern accent yet was convinced she was now talking with an Aussie accent!! Sold videos and DVDs purporting to represent life in Oz, was absolutely woeful....totally amateurish and so self indulgent.
Good for you Paddyo
Keep up the good work
I too help a lot of people ......for many hours
I also continue to help them after they have moved.....
But my expertise is really in schools and helping families find the services they need
I am not alone and many O/S removal companies have relocation agents who help with such things
Many companies who are relocating employees from O/S are also happy and willing to pay for this services as it helps families settle in quickly and answers many of their questions and uncertainies in a quick and time efficient manner.
I myself have moved o/s many times with children and I have personal experience of the challenges it presents.
If you knew me you would know I am nothing like the woman you suggested......
I think your dedication to this site is fantastic and I can confirm all your advice is spot on and very helpful.
Lesley

Keep up the good work

Last edited by NBKH; Aug 4th 2010 at 1:49 pm. Reason: Spelling error
Old Aug 4th 2010, 2:10 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Good for you Paddyo
Keep up the good work
I too help a lot of people ......for many hours
I also continue to help them after they have moved.....
But my expertise is really in schools and helping families find the services they need
I am not alone and many O/S removal companies have relocation agents who help with such things
Many companies who are relocating employees from O/S are also happy and willing to pay for this services as it helps families settle in quickly and answers many of their questions and uncertainies in a quick and time efficient manner.
I myself have moved o/s many times with children and I have personal experience of the challenges it presents.
If you knew me you would know I am nothing like the woman you suggested......
I think your dedication to this site is fantastic and I can confirm all your advice is spot on and very helpful.
Lesley

Keep up the good work
lol.....nooooooo....not suggesting you was like her at all!!! Heaven forbid!
Old Aug 4th 2010, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Rod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to all

i'd like to add my ten penneth. paddyo has gone out of his way to help us - a whole load of PM's etc before we got here, and a whole load more when we got here. he's never met us or talked to us on the phone etc but kindly offered to drive us about to view properties before we got a car.

my advice is listen to what he says - he has a wealth of knowledge on the places you are looking for and many other general things on sydney as a whole - i have found it to be unbiased too. and best of all it has all been free lol.

however saying that once we move into our rental im meeting him for a few drinks to say thanks in person
Old Aug 5th 2010, 1:49 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Rod-Helen-Poppy
i'd like to add my ten penneth. paddyo has gone out of his way to help us - a whole load of PM's etc before we got here, and a whole load more when we got here. he's never met us or talked to us on the phone etc but kindly offered to drive us about to view properties before we got a car.

my advice is listen to what he says - he has a wealth of knowledge on the places you are looking for and many other general things on sydney as a whole - i have found it to be unbiased too. and best of all it has all been free lol.

however saying that once we move into our rental im meeting him for a few drinks to say thanks in person
I'll hold you to that Rod!!!!!

Thankyou for your kind comments!!