Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

no visa now what..................

no visa now what..................

Old Sep 14th 2004, 1:02 pm

guest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the rough
Default no visa now what..................

Hi will be arriving in Oz in October to get married on the 15th and haven't received my fiance visa yet....what is the situation if I arrive without having received the fiance visa. Obviously we can still get married......but then can I stay on, do i have to leave, which visa do we then have to apply for, can i stay with inlaws in NZ whilst this is happening, can i work etc etc.........help please I'm getting desperate.........................JW
Old Sep 14th 2004, 1:16 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: no visa now what..................

Originally Posted by kiwiloverjohn
Hi will be arriving in Oz in October to get married on the 15th and haven't received my fiance visa yet....what is the situation if I arrive without having received the fiance visa. Obviously we can still get married......but then can I stay on, do i have to leave, which visa do we then have to apply for, can i stay with inlaws in NZ whilst this is happening, can i work etc etc.........help please I'm getting desperate.........................JW
If you haven't received the visa yet, you will find it hard to get into the country on a visitors visa. They'll suspect you of sneakiness and likely refuse you entry.
Best to wait for the visa... I know it's hard TRUST ME, I know, but it's for the best in the long run. Even if you do manage to get in and get married there is no guarantee that you will be able to stay as you would then be applying for a different visa (spouse as oposed to fiance.) AND they will already be wary as you did sneak in to marry pending a fiance visa which generally only takes 2-3 months to process in the first place.

Sorry I can't give you more hope here but in all honesty... do you want to take chances on being seperated even LONGER because you jumped the gun?

Best of luck to you... and wishing patience on you real hard!! LOL

Siren
Old Sep 14th 2004, 1:46 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya John,

OMG, I was so sure you'd be OK by now! Argh!! Do you have an e-mail for the case officer? Maybe ask if there is any chance of being granted an ETA to come over for the wedding, bearing in mind you'd have to leave again to get the visa granted. Siren probably doesn't realise that you've been waiting longer than normal cos of the problems with NZ clearance for your fiancee.....
I have to say I don't give much for your chances of getting in if you just apply for an ETA - I reckon they might not let you enter. Try the case officer, and tug the heart-strings, wedding cancellation etc, see if you can get any info from them on how long NZ might take with your fiancees clearance.
And maybe pm someone like JAJ from the other forum - see what he reckons, he's always pretty straight-up, isn't he.
Wish I could do more but beyond crossed fingers and a cyber-hug for you both, I'm stumped.
Polly
xx
Old Sep 14th 2004, 2:13 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

John,

Have you got the name of your case officer? If he or she is in London (or any overseas Australian post) the email format is firstname.lastname - at - dfat - dot - gov - dot - au

If you applied in London and front end loaded your application your application shouldn't take long to process.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by kiwiloverjohn
Old Sep 14th 2004, 5:11 pm

guest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the rough

Now I'm worried, you say they might not grant even a visa to get into Oz whilst I'm waiting for my fiance visa.............but in the bumf on the dimia website it says that if you get married whilst awaiting the granting of the visa you inform them and they then treat the application as a spouse visa application, so if we went to say Fijii to get married and came back would they let me in as chrissy's spouse so that we could have the relationship you have to share to get the spouse visa, or would they not let us get married in Oz at all...........man this stinks......Chrissy is off her head with worry

John
Old Sep 14th 2004, 9:29 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

CALM DOWN!!!! Read your pms, you might find some advice there. The NZ thing is whats causing the problem, DIMIA do their own police check with NZ. Speak to an agent - George Lombard has been suggested as being good in this area - and he can probably get an answer out of DIMIA where you can't. He'll also know where you stand regarding entering Oz and getting married, whether you'll be OK on an ETA. Pick up the phone and ring him before you go bonkers!