Nasty Cat

Old Sep 12th 2003, 12:59 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I love cats and bred pedigree burmese for a few years but I am afraid if my cat was trying to attack my child all the time because of jealousy it would have to go.
Try the "Cats Protection League" or "F.A.B" (Feline advisory Bureau) explain the situation, they might be able to find your cat (who must have once upon a time been your friend) a nice home with maybe a retired couple. Dont ring the R.S.P.C.A they will just put him to sleep.
Old Sep 12th 2003, 1:06 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by sky
Dont ring the R.S.P.C.A they will just put him to sleep.
You mean kill...Kill...KILL
Old Sep 12th 2003, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

rachels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nasty Cat

"We have a particularly nasty cat, who we're not taking to Aus as she's had melanoma (spent £200 getting her ears removed!!!!) and the vet has advised against taking her. (We don't really like her anyway and have a much nicer cat who is lovely.) "

Take her to an animal shelter today. Explain that she's recently had cancer and major surgery, had a new baby to deal with and isn't loved. Might help them exlplain her behaviour to her new family....
Old Sep 12th 2003, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth now Sunny Florida, heading for Perth
WannabeWallaby is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rachels
"We have a particularly nasty cat, who we're not taking to Aus as she's had melanoma (spent £200 getting her ears removed!!!!) and the vet has advised against taking her. (We don't really like her anyway and have a much nicer cat who is lovely.) "

Oh poor little mite! I too am a cat lover but understand that some people just don't like them (i used to be one of them until a friend of mine was leaving the country and she left her with me until a new home could be found - needless to say I fell in love and the kitty never left!). My cats are STRICTLY indoor animals mostly because it is safer for them (fights, being run over, etc) and safer for other animals although I would dearly love to let my cats roam free and happy. However, cats are hunters by nature and cannot change to suit YOUR lifestyle so you either accept it and attempt to control their environment to limit access or get a dog instead. Like someone said earlier, cats are logical and instinctive creatures and if they don't like something or someone they will let you know. If you love cats you also will love them warts and all and if a cat is nasty it usually because it has been provoked or percieves something to be a threat to him. They don't deserve to die because they have become a handful - please take you cat to a no-kill shelter for someone else to love.

Wannabe Wallaby

PS I also love dogs and most all other critters, its called compassion.
Old Sep 12th 2003, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

hey i love that cat thing....

can you get one for kids that are entering the 'terrible twos' 4 months early??

cheers

richard
Old Sep 12th 2003, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Bobbi is an unknown quantity at this point

Poor you - hope your baby is okay. I would also suggest the Cats Protection League, I have dealt with them in the past, and they are generally real "cat lovers", as far as I know the cats are kept with "foster carers" whilst waiting to be re-homed. I once had a cat from them and I had somebody come and give me a pre-adoption interview at my home (I felt like I was applying to adopt a child!), so they will almost definitely be able to find a suitable home for your cat.

Bobbi
Old Sep 12th 2003, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

as you can see from my avatar my kitty is called jaspar aged 13, i saved him from his owners who were going to drown him in the river when he was only a week old,

nursed him, fed him and have loved him but however he is a scardy cat, very nervous of everything, moving 5 years ago we nearly lost him i know he will not survive the journey

now here comes the good bit, owners of the house we live in last around 5 years!!:scared: :scared: but next door neighbours have already adopted a cat from previous owners who is on her last legs now so if i keep suggesting and hinting that he needs a proper home then i am sure they will take him

my master plan is now in action

long live jaspar
Old Sep 12th 2003, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Our cat was really jealous when our son arrived too. Urinated over all his stuff several times.

Give her away to a shelter now - Battersea Dogs Home takes tons of cats or try Cats Protection. You may hate her (with good reason if she was always a grumpy old sod!) but she might be a saint to the right elderly owner or whatever. It'd be hard for you to rehome her yourself as your friends are probably of similar age and also with kids.

If you were staying in Britain and wanted to keep the cat I would recommend trying Feliway spray (from vets). It was like a miracle cure for us when we were desperate. Has pheromones which make the cat think everything is familiar and belongs to them. Odourless. Sprayed it on all baby stuff, cat sniffed it and then all fine. Taking some with me to spray new house in Oz just in case... Cat still hates toddler though - scowls at him a lot - but no more cat pee in the house thank god.

My cat scratched me a lot as a kid so I learned not to hassle it and poke it. But scratching on the face is too dangerous to be allowed to carry on and your baby is not old enough to learn to avoid it.
Old Sep 12th 2003, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys for all the advice- she always has been a nutter (the people we got her off chucked her about as a kitten) and I think she'd be better off somewhere without kids... will ring the animal shelter tomorrow I think. We're fortunate that our other cat is a big softy and won't mind being bundled.. he just gives a pat and moves off. He's also incapable of catching anything, so that won't be a problem in Oz.
Larissa
PS Very amused Megalania and co - hubz and I were in stitches!
Old Sep 13th 2003, 5:23 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Megalania
1. Grasp cat by scruff,
2. Take outside,
3. Find stout fence post,
4. Grab cat by hind legs,
5. Swing briskly overhead,
6. Bring cat's head down on fence post,
7. Drop deap cat in garbage.
8. Scream the whole street down as you realise that after doing No. 5, the cat had sunk it's front claws into your arse in a vain attempt to find out what you were doing.

9. Run around the garden crying like a baby while trying to explain to your neighbour why you've got eight scratchmarks all the way from your arse to your head and why you've got a dead cat in your hands.
Old Sep 13th 2003, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Our moggy was exactly the same when our first born came along. He scratched my little boys hand and it became infected. Cats love to scratch around in the soil, especially when they've just done a number 2. We took him to the Cat's protection league and he was re - homed with a couple who have no kids. Get rid of him, Cats are lovely when you have no kids, when kids arrive, the cat becomes a liability.
Old Sep 13th 2003, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by steandleigh
Our moggy was exactly the same when our first born came along. He scratched my little boys hand and it became infected. Cats love to scratch around in the soil, especially when they've just done a number 2. We took him to the Cat's protection league and he was re - homed with a couple who have no kids. Get rid of him, Cats are lovely when you have no kids, when kids arrive, the cat becomes a liability.
Yeah- will ring Monday (they were busy today). Stuck with nasty cat for another 2 days :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Sep 15th 2003, 1:38 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Regarding cats killing wildlife..

There was a study further North on feral cats.. in their bellies were skinks, insects and the odd bird (all which were not endangered) .They found not one endangered animal in their bellies.. this study was over a period of 6 months.

In Tasmania they have feral cats... and they are not a threat to wildlife.. ie they have not caused any impact damage on any protected species. The difference between Tasmania and the mainland is they have no Dingo's , they also have tassie devils which compete for the same carrion (food) as the cats. So they regulate the cat population. Tassie devils are thought to have been wiped off the mainland by two things... Dingoes and people!. Dingoes are far more destructive, why on earth they are protected here I never know. It's just a scabby Asian dog. They have the same DNA as the "stray" dogs in Thailand, Malaysia and Sing.

Some people try and blame cats for the endangered species here... this is clearly not the case. Tasmania is the example. Main killer of wildlife is loss of habitat... ie people building toy towns where bush once stood. So instead of trying to blame cats for all evils .. get a mirror and look at the reflection!

Number two.. Dogs kill as much wildlife as cats.. if not more. They unlike cats are large enough to kill Koalas, possums, various lizards (like the cats) such as blue tongues.

On the subject of the nasty cat.. take it to a shelter, explain to them it's not good with young children so they won't give it to a young family. Being an owner of an ex "Nasty cat" myself (it has gone through two homes for scratching it's owners) I can say that half of you are taking sh*t.. There's no such thing as a bad animal... just a bad owner. All it takes is patience.. which clearly can not be done if you have young children. The cat will be suited to someone with no children and has experience in rehabilitating cats.

Cheers

P.s I'm not a dog hater either, I have owned plenty of dogs in the past too .. just pointing out some facts to some of you sick individuals.
In my opinion, some of you Humans should be shot... be a much nicer world.

I'm also not under the opinion that cats do not kill.. of course they do, and there are some bl**dy stupid owners here. I'm all for a curfew on cats, which means they are not allowed outside during the hours of darkness.I think they have this law in some council areas in Aus, they haven't got it in my area though. And just to add.. I do not let any of my cats out in my new house.. for the reason I am next to a reserve. I will be building a cat run/enclosure. Seems my Aussie neighbours haven't got the same sense though.. my next door neighbour has her cats out all night.. you'd understand if you saw where we lived why it's ridiculous to let them out.

I've also included a pic for your dog owners who think cats are the cause... Koalas are threatened by cars (loss of habitat caused by people!), dogs and diseases .. not cats. Just to get some balance!
Attached Thumbnails Nasty Cat-dog.jpg  
Old Sep 15th 2003, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ceri
Regarding cats killing wildlife..

There was a study further North on feral cats.. in their bellies were skinks, insects and the odd bird (all which were not endangered) .They found not one endangered animal in their bellies.. this study was over a period of 6 months.

In Tasmania they have feral cats... and they are not a threat to wildlife.. ie they have not caused any impact damage on any protected species. The difference between Tasmania and the mainland is they have no Dingo's , they also have tassie devils which compete for the same carrion (food) as the cats. So they regulate the cat population. Tassie devils are thought to have been wiped off the mainland by two things... Dingoes and people!. Dingoes are far more destructive, why on earth they are protected here I never know. It's just a scabby Asian dog. They have the same DNA as the "stray" dogs in Thailand, Malaysia and Sing.

Some people try and blame cats for the endangered species here... this is clearly not the case. Tasmania is the example. Main killer of wildlife is loss of habitat... ie people building toy towns where bush once stood. So instead of trying to blame cats for all evils .. get a mirror and look at the reflection!

Number two.. Dogs kill as much wildlife as cats.. if not more. They unlike cats are large enough to kill Koalas, possums, various lizards (like the cats) such as blue tongues.

On the subject of the nasty cat.. take it to a shelter, explain to them it's not good with young children so they won't give it to a young family. Being an owner of an ex "Nasty cat" myself (it has gone through two homes for scratching it's owners) I can say that half of you are taking sh*t.. There's no such thing as a bad animal... just a bad owner. All it takes is patience.. which clearly can not be done if you have young children. The cat will be suited to someone with no children and has experience in rehabilitating cats.

Cheers

P.s I'm not a dog hater either, I have owned plenty of dogs in the past too .. just pointing out some facts to some of you sick individuals.
In my opinion, some of you Humans should be shot... be a much nicer world.

I'm also not under the opinion that cats do not kill.. of course they do, and there are some bl**dy stupid owners here. I'm all for a curfew on cats, which means they are not allowed outside during the hours of darkness.I think they have this law in some council areas in Aus, they haven't got it in my area though. And just to add.. I do not let any of my cats out in my new house.. for the reason I am next to a reserve. I will be building a cat run/enclosure. Seems my Aussie neighbours haven't got the same sense though.. my next door neighbour has her cats out all night.. you'd understand if you saw where we lived why it's ridiculous to let them out.

I've also included a pic for your dog owners who think cats are the cause... Koalas are threatened by cars (loss of habitat caused by people!), dogs and diseases .. not cats. Just to get some balance!
Ah at last, Ceri, felt I was fighting all those dorks, not you Pete Y, they know who I mean, by myself. Good to see somebody else who's also read up on the feral cat myth. Really strange that they're so hellbent on blaming everything on those cats, but I guess it's a lot easier than taking a long hard look at how they're busy sawing off the branch they're sitting on, the Aussies, I mean.

sashimi
Old Sep 15th 2003, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

I always thought rabbits were the worst imported nightmare in Oz (not cats!) and city dwellers often think the wild bunnies are cute. They eat all the foliage right down to the roots causing major salination problems and arable land to be lost in a country which doesn't have much to start with.

Have not had any trouble letting my cats out at night in Oz though. They've all been desexed young and are too well fed to bother to catch anything - much too lazy to hunt. One caught a baby rabbit once, that's all. All my cats have been terrified of possums! Maybe they're just overstuffed eunuchs and wusses...

Years ago 60 minutes in Oz did a scare story on Toxoplasmosis being caught from cats and causing birth defects. They featured a cat in a cage in the dock of a mock trial. Never mentioned the simple blood test and antibiotic treatment. 60 minutes was rapped over the knuckles as the next week more than 10,000 cats were put to sleep by panicked owners (presumably pregnant so susceptible to paranoia with all those hormones). Very sad.

Last edited by Jolyn; Sep 15th 2003 at 9:31 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.