Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne advice?

Melbourne advice?

Old May 10th 2006, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne advice?

Originally Posted by mackinnon
Well, bit the bullet and decided to leave Hobart after only 2 weeks.

Landed in Melbourne yesterday, so looking to sort out rental now.

Actually, meant to be doing that online just now, I'd better get on with it!
Sounds like a good decision, trusting your gut instinct. We're also considering a move to Melbourne, from Perth. Been in Perth for more than two years now, but not really settled. Homesick but wife doesn't want to live in the UK, so figured Victoria may be a better option as it appeals to both of us.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Old May 10th 2006, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

madmaz has a brilliant futuremadmaz has a brilliant futuremadmaz has a brilliant futuremadmaz has a brilliant futuremadmaz has a brilliant futuremadmaz has a brilliant futuremadmaz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Exile
Sounds like a good decision, trusting your gut instinct. We're also considering a move to Melbourne, from Perth. Been in Perth for more than two years now, but not really settled. Homesick but wife doesn't want to live in the UK, so figured Victoria may be a better option as it appeals to both of us.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
what is it that puts you off perth as we would like to move there but have also looked at melbourne .we have family in perth but my other half is worried she will feel isolated stuck out on an estate and not know anyone. does the weather get too hot in summer :scared: or is it not too bad ? last question are there plenty off skilled jobs in perth and what is the pay like

thanks for listening from would be expat hope all goes well for you

bye for now madmaz

Last edited by madmaz; May 10th 2006 at 8:23 am. Reason: forgot something (only new)
Old May 10th 2006, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madmaz
what is it that puts you off perth as we would like to move there but have also looked at melbourne .we have family in perth but my other half is worried she will feel isolated stuck out on an estate and not know anyone. does the weather get too hot in summer :scared: or is it not too bad ? last question are there plenty off skilled jobs in perth and what is the pay like

thanks for listening from would be expat hope all goes well for you

bye for now madmaz
Hi Mad,

I think your wife's concerns sum it up really. Depending on where you live, Perth can feel like living in a big soulless retirement village (in my view, of course). We may yet stay, but that would involve moving nearer the city where there may or may not be a little more life and some kind of atmosphere. That is now a very expensive option.

The climate, strangely, is something I like a lot. It can be hot, but at least it generally cools down in the evenings, unlike where we last lived. The Indian Ocean and the sky, especially in the morning and evening, are incredibly beautiful. Nice breeze off the ocean on most summer days. Very comfortable climate and nice, bright, spacious housing if you get a newish one.

I'm not sure as I've never been, but recently I've been thinking about the Mornington Peninsula near Melbourne. It seems to offer the kind of established, leafy, living environment with a bit of character and close to the ocean that appeals to me, and with a smaller price tag than similar areas in Perth. Unlike those areas in Perth, though, it's a long way into the city (over an hour), so not directly comparable. I don't commute, so not really an issue for me. The hills of Perth could be another option. I'd advise trying to avoid wall-to-wall suburbia if you can.

If you do an engineering/mining related skilled job, then Perth could be the place for you. Hope this helps.

Exile
Old May 10th 2006, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

madmaz has a brilliant futuremadmaz has a brilliant futuremadmaz has a brilliant futuremadmaz has a brilliant futuremadmaz has a brilliant futuremadmaz has a brilliant futuremadmaz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Exile
Hi Mad,

I think your wife's concerns sum it up really. Depending on where you live, Perth can feel like living in a big soulless retirement village (in my view, of course). We may yet stay, but that would involve moving nearer the city where there may or may not be a little more life and some kind of atmosphere. That is now a very expensive option.

The climate, strangely, is something I like a lot. It can be hot, but at least it generally cools down in the evenings, unlike where we last lived. The Indian Ocean and the sky, especially in the morning and evening, are incredibly beautiful. Nice breeze off the ocean on most summer days. Very comfortable climate and nice, bright, spacious housing if you get a newish one.

I'm not sure as I've never been, but recently I've been thinking about the Mornington Peninsula near Melbourne. It seems to offer the kind of established, leafy, living environment with a bit of character and close to the ocean that appeals to me, and with a smaller price tag than similar areas in Perth. Unlike those areas in Perth, though, it's a long way into the city (over an hour), so not directly comparable. I don't commute, so not really an issue for me. The hills of Perth could be another option. I'd advise trying to avoid wall-to-wall suburbia if you can.

If you do an engineering/mining related skilled job, then Perth could be the place for you. Hope this helps.

Exile
thanks for the fast reply still very new to the forum so still unsure of how to make the most of it .just keep asking questions i guess!! if we do go to perth we would like to live about 10-15km from the city but prices seem to be on the rise and the size of blocks on the decline .in your opinion is a 500m2 big enough for a family of 5 .maybe there is a good business somewhere in perth we could open an expat pub or am i trying to bring the uk with me already .if you stay in perth maybe you could show us how to bbq properly .we have indoor bbq's in manchester its called the oven as we never really get the weather .while im on what is a retic bore .something to do with the garden i think!!!!!! thanks again madmaz
Old May 10th 2006, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by madmaz
thanks for the fast reply still very new to the forum so still unsure of how to make the most of it .just keep asking questions i guess!! if we do go to perth we would like to live about 10-15km from the city but prices seem to be on the rise and the size of blocks on the decline .in your opinion is a 500m2 big enough for a family of 5 .maybe there is a good business somewhere in perth we could open an expat pub or am i trying to bring the uk with me already .if you stay in perth maybe you could show us how to bbq properly .we have indoor bbq's in manchester its called the oven as we never really get the weather .while im on what is a retic bore .something to do with the garden i think!!!!!! thanks again madmaz

I think 100m2 each should be enough. You'll find a bit of block snobbery on here, with people taking the p*ss out of big houses on small blocks, but they do suit the lifestyle of some people. I have a big family too, and we don't all want to live in the middle of nowhere.

I've sent you a pm (private message -- look in the top right of the screen and you shoudl see a link)
Old May 11th 2006, 6:27 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulb
Which areas you looking at??
We have been looking at Mid-East/South East, but to be honest just anywhere not too far out from the city as wife does not drive yet.

I overheard a rental agent saying today that for the past 3 years it has been a renter's market, unfortunately for us just now it is a landlord's market at the moment - I think a lot of work will have to be done just to secure a semi-decent rental!
Old May 11th 2006, 9:07 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

We have been looking at Mid-East/South East, but to be honest just anywhere not too far out from the city as wife does not drive yet.

I overheard a rental agent saying today that for the past 3 years it has been a renter's market, unfortunately for us just now it is a landlord's market at the moment - I think a lot of work will have to be done just to secure a semi-decent rental!
There's a suburb called McKinnon in the South East

Good area too, near Bentleigh/Oakleigh and with a pretty good pub
Old May 12th 2006, 1:56 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
There's a suburb called McKinnon in the South East

Good area too, near Bentleigh/Oakleigh and with a pretty good pub
Yeah, we're hopefully going to view a property there tomorrow.

Ideally I'd like to stay on Mckinnon Road, so my address would be Mr. Mackinnon, Mckinnon Rd., Mckinnon.

That would be too good!

By the way, what is the pub in Mckinnon like? It's definitely an area we have been considering, although being in Zone 2 I'd prefer to do my drinking locally.
Old May 12th 2006, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

hawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of light

Mackinnon is not that pretty - its very flat & a bit anonymous, but its not too far from the CBD & its got one of the best state schools in Victoria which is reflected in the house prices. The school catchment area is shrinking as it becomes more & more sought after (someone I work with paid $550k for a fairly non descript 3 bed weatherboard which needed restumping & lots of other work to get his kids in).
Old May 12th 2006, 10:35 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, we're hopefully going to view a property there tomorrow.

Ideally I'd like to stay on Mckinnon Road, so my address would be Mr. Mackinnon, Mckinnon Rd., Mckinnon.

That would be too good!

By the way, what is the pub in Mckinnon like? It's definitely an area we have been considering, although being in Zone 2 I'd prefer to do my drinking locally.
The McKinnon Pub looks a bit rough in one bar but it's got a good atmosphere. Round the back is a restaurant/bar and an outdoor seated area. It's ok as far as it goes

And there's the obligatory bottle shop next door

Bentleigh is just down the road (literally down Jasper Road) and that's got a decent cafe/restaurant/bar scene
Old May 12th 2006, 10:39 am
Take it easy

Originally Posted by hawk2005
Mackinnon is not that pretty - its very flat & a bit anonymous, but its not too far from the CBD & its got one of the best state schools in Victoria which is reflected in the house prices. The school catchment area is shrinking as it becomes more & more sought after (someone I work with paid $550k for a fairly non descript 3 bed weatherboard which needed restumping & lots of other work to get his kids in).
McKinnon High is apparently giving out 25 non-catchment scholarships next year and the applicants have already been interviewed. Another top state school, Mt. Waverley, has solved this problem by stopping giving out non-catchment scholarships.....apparently.
Old May 13th 2006, 6:28 am
Home.

Originally Posted by hawk2005
Yeah, saw that today when we went for a viewing. Scrubbed off the list.