Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lots of Depressing and Negative Posts ...

Lots of Depressing and Negative Posts ...

Old Apr 17th 2010, 3:49 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lots of Depressing and Negative Posts ...

Originally Posted by Deancm
You may not need validation but it appears my post hit a nerve. Psychologists may disagree with you.
Generalising is what hit a nerve. This is my home and I am quite happy thankyou.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 4:10 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by northernbird
Generalising is what hit a nerve. This is my home and I am quite happy thankyou.
You must be quite sensitive then...
Old Apr 17th 2010, 4:39 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

You must be quite sensitive then...
That is something I will confess to.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Rubbish, I don't need validation. I am a 40 year old woman who knows what she wants out of life. Negative posts passed off as facts when they are merely opinions is what gripes me. Human nature dictates that not all people are going to like the same thing which is fine, how boring would life be if we liked the same thing! However, when you get drivel passed around as fact when it is merely an opinion it is most annoying.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
Old Apr 17th 2010, 4:45 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
I should listen to that more often.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

salopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud of

Negative posts bother people so much because they need validation that their decision to move is the correct decision. Negative posts don't give them the validation they need. Lack of cofidence in ones decisions, low self esteem...
Exactly. You have stated explicitly what lay implicit in my post. I was rather hoping the 'positivists' would work it out for themselves.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

salopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud of

Rubbish, I don't need validation. I am a 40 year old woman who knows what she wants out of life. Negative posts passed off as facts when they are merely opinions is what gripes me. Human nature dictates that not all people are going to like the same thing which is fine, how boring would life be if we liked the same thing! However, when you get drivel passed around as fact when it is merely an opinion it is most annoying.
So negative opinions and generalisations gripe you. Just wondering why positive opinions and generalisations don't?

Perhaps it's got something to do with validation.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 6:03 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by salopian
So negative opinions and generalisations gripe you. Just wondering why positive opinions and generalisations don't?

negative opinions don't bother me, everyone sees things differently. the sweeping generalisations (either positive or negative) about a particular country/area of said country that gripe me.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Some people would be negative for those reasons people give. A minority probably. Not all. Other people just don't recognise the points because their lives are different.

Positive opinions generally don't need to be explained - to be honest. It's a sad day for our advanced society when people start talking about validating their positive posts. I mean - I had a great dinner with friends last night - do I need to prove it? Do I need a certificate? Perhaps every time I enjoy myself I am not after all. Maybe it's all a lie...(!)

It's sad when every post made is debated and assessed on whether it is valid, or what it says about the state of the poster's mind. IMHO.
It seems to be an affliction of the people who are unhappy.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 7:31 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Negative posts bother people so much because they need validation that their decision to move is the correct decision. Negative posts don't give them the validation they need. Lack of cofidence in ones decisions, low self esteem...
there is definitely something in this. Not in all cases of course but speaking personally I was very touchy initially about negative Aus posts and this reasoning was , in retrospect, why I was to a good degree. Still love it here but am certainly more balanced in my views. The over the top "knocking" posts of either Aus or the UK still make me laugh though. Anyone who can be so totally negative about either place is just simply wrong.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 11:57 am
ABCDiamond

Sensible negative posts don't bother many people at all.
But the over the top ones generalisations may bother the people who prefer to see the reality.

Also if many of these over the top generalisations are read by people considering moving, they could well end up with lack of confidence, and you will then be proved correct in your statements. Nothing to do with low esteem though, just being fed with over generalisations by some people.

Old Apr 17th 2010, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Sensible negative posts don't bother many people at all.
But the over the top ones generalisations may bother the people who prefer to see the reality.

Also if many of these over the top generalisations are read by people considering moving, they could well end up with lack of confidence, and you will then be proved correct in your statements. Nothing to do with low esteem though, just being fed with over generalisations by some people.
But the over the top positive generalisations are ok.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 12:05 pm
ABCDiamond

But the over the top positive generalisations are ok.
Name some and I will let you know.

Old Apr 17th 2010, 4:36 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

The real problem with UK migrants is where they're moving. They are so into having a big house they forget about location. In Perth for instance it's secret harbour, Mindarie, Joondalup, Ellenbrook etc. There are all areas that most middleclass Perthites for instance would regard as lower class shitholes. Move in a better area but less room like a townhouse and I think you would enjoy Perth more. Same applys for all Australian cities. Basically Australian property developers are scamming people into awful dangerous suburbs with the lure of a pretty new house. Frankston in Melbourne is another area in which I am absolutely confused why someone would want to go there. If you meet any Sydneysider the first thing they'll ask you is "where do you live?" location is important here and people will judge you on that.

Another factor in Australia that people fail to realize is that job classifications are a lot more snobbish here. (Not pointing out anything in particular) but in the UK being a Bricklayer or a Hairdresser etc is a respectable trade where as here it's not. Notice how Australians don't have funny titles for there Jobs?? Australians won't do many of these jobs (Police is a good example) and that is why there is a demand for migrants from the UK to settle here whilst compared to other countries such as America or even the UK a lot of the migrants coming here would have no chance of qualifying for a visa.

Many Irish backpackers here in Perth always complain how they can never get attractive girls in Australia because as soon as they find out there job profession during conversation the girl simply is not interested.

As a previous poster indicated a lot of them are just bogans with a funny accents.

Sorry if this offends anyone but as a Perthite who has spent considerable time in the UK what I've said is very accurate.

Australia has some great things and some bad things (same as the UK) My advice is when migrating to Australia treat it as a new adventure and not some escape from the UK becouse life looks so dandy on neighbours.

A funny reason why some people migrate to the UK is that they're sick of immigrants yet Australia is one of the most diverse countries in the world. makes no sense?

Last edited by Weebie; Apr 17th 2010 at 4:58 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 5:04 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

One more thing which I think some people will agree on.

In the mid eighties when South Africans moved to Perth they made very good decisions. The rand was strong and property and housing affordable was cheap. Many UK and Kiwi migrants who came here in the early 2000s have done exactly the same when you look back on it. Made a good decision to migrate here and it's payed dividends for them.

For new migrants you won't have this luxury and many underestimate how hard things will be for them and in many cases life will be better off back home for them. But you don't know if you don't try and no one wants to have regrets in there life so go for it!!! Just be prepared that it's not the same as it was 5-10 years ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.