Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lots of Depressing and Negative Posts ...

Lots of Depressing and Negative Posts ...

Old Apr 16th 2010, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of
Default Re: Lots of Depressing and Negative Posts ...

Originally Posted by kporte
A gentleman never reveals.....
Not many of them around...
Old Apr 16th 2010, 11:49 am
Just Joined

confused.pom is just really niceconfused.pom is just really niceconfused.pom is just really niceconfused.pom is just really niceconfused.pom is just really niceconfused.pom is just really niceconfused.pom is just really niceconfused.pom is just really nice

Only a couple of weeks in but we are enjoying it. We have probably come out at the worst time financially given the exchange rate but the weather is great, people are so nice and there are so many new experiences. We only live once and it is better to have tried than to sit there down the line and say what if we had.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by confused.pom
Only a couple of weeks in but we are enjoying it. We have probably come out at the worst time financially given the exchange rate but the weather is great, people are so nice and there are so many new experiences. We only live once and it is better to have tried than to sit there down the line and say what if we had.
Glad you are enjoying it.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kporte
I could list them if you like!!
Go on then...
Old Apr 16th 2010, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh this thread is my forte but sadly, nothing to report. Medication must be working. Give me time.

Wait a minute.............Bought a new fridge and washing machine the other day and wasnt ofered a complimentary coffee and wasnt eligible for a free iron and washing powdre as I didnt purchase a front loader. Normally, wouldve made a scene but as Ive stated......medication doing the trick.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Dream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really nice

I agree. I'd rather lose 4k on a Visa application that didn't make it and knowing for sure than to sit here in 10 years time wondering what if ...

I was just not prepared for the difficulty and bureaucracy ... and considering we are both skilled people with lots of quals we thought we'd be fine - we were so wrong!
Old Apr 16th 2010, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dream_Catcher
I agree. I'd rather lose 4k on a Visa application that didn't make it and knowing for sure than to sit here in 10 years time wondering what if ...

I was just not prepared for the difficulty and bureaucracy ... and considering we are both skilled people with lots of quals we thought we'd be fine - we were so wrong!
You learn early on that the norm in Aus is to do the opposite of sensible. It wouldbe sensible to take skilled people so let's put every possible obsticle I'n place...
Old Apr 16th 2010, 5:07 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

We only live once and it is better to have tried than to sit there down the line and say what if we had.
That's pretty much my philosophy - look at my signature

My OH is more sensible and less impulsive than me. He is insisting that we don't sell our house here, so at the moment we are saving like mad to make the move.

If we don't like it we'll move back, but at least we'll have had an experience.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 5:27 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Of the 110,000 Brits who immigrated to OZ over the past 5 years only 11,000 went back home. So perhaps OZ is'nt as bad as some of the negative posts make out or you would think alot more would be going back then only around 10%.

Last edited by mohogony; Apr 16th 2010 at 5:29 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

uklass is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Kapri
That's pretty much my philosophy - look at my signature

My OH is more sensible and less impulsive than me. He is insisting that we don't sell our house here, so at the moment we are saving like mad to make the move.

If we don't like it we'll move back, but at least we'll have had an experience.

Oooh, I love your signature!
Been 100% set on making the move until the last year when I've umm-ed and ahh-ed and spent far too long on the Moving Back to the Uk forum! The visa and settling in costs seem like a huge expense but being sensible isn't living my dream and I don't want years of 'what ifs...'
Old Apr 16th 2010, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mohogony
Of the 110,000 Brits who immigrated to OZ over the past 5 years only 11,000 went back home. So perhaps OZ is'nt as bad as some of the negative posts make out or you would think alot more would be going back then only around 10%.
exactly and the reality is that the majority of people who move here, probably 80-90% don't even frequent these types of forums and just get on with it. So you'd probably find most Brits are happy. Out of about ten families I know who are British, I was the only one who had reservations a few years ago after ten years in Aus and felt unsettled, everyone else was happy, settled and making a life, and I was the only one to come onto this board, none of my other british mates wanted to know, they were happy enough and didnt see the need to post here.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 9:48 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sherro
exactly and the reality is that the majority of people who move here, probably 80-90% don't even frequent these types of forums and just get on with it. So you'd probably find most Brits are happy. Out of about ten families I know who are British, I was the only one who had reservations a few years ago after ten years in Aus and felt unsettled, everyone else was happy, settled and making a life, and I was the only one to come onto this board, none of my other british mates wanted to know, they were happy enough and didnt see the need to post here.
yes Maybe its people who are unhappy in OZ are more likely to frequent these forums and make regular posts then those that are happy in OZ. But one negative thing l agree with is that you need alot more money these days to be able to afford a good house in a good suburb of the large cities, as OZ house prices keep going up alot as OZ is not in a recession while the UK is , also the exchange rate has gotten worse for people moving.

Last edited by mohogony; Apr 16th 2010 at 9:55 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Ha ha, I've had people calling me materialistic on this forum and scanning their previous posts show that they have swimming pools, plasmas and fancy golf club sets, 2 more things than I have
Owning stuff doesn't make you materialistic.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

salopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
Owning stuff doesn't make you materialistic.
Yes it does. In its simplest terms it means being concerned with matter (ie physical things) rather than the spiritual. So the need, desire, compulsion to own "stuff" in the belief that it makes your life 'better' is being materialistic.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 12:03 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by salopian
Yes it does. In its simplest terms it means being concerned with matter (ie physical things) rather than the spiritual. So the need, desire, compulsion to own "stuff" in the belief that it makes your life 'better' is being materialistic.
Surely you have to separate need from greed. Owning things because they are needed is not really considered materialistic. I wouldn't say I was materialistic just because I own some pots and pans.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.