Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lots of Depressing and Negative Posts ...

Lots of Depressing and Negative Posts ...

Old Apr 15th 2010, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lots of Depressing and Negative Posts ...

I love it too!!!
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I read a lot of these threads and on balance I think the feeling is generally more positive than negative. As a future migrant I am glad about this, but I appreciate reading the negative posts too as it keeps expectations. realistic.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Pommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to all

Best move I ever made...14 years and I still do not take it for granted...i have a bad day i look at the scenery and smile.

Those who regret the decision....sod off back to the Uk and give someone else the visa who would appreciate moving here...... we have a hard enough time shaking off the whingin pom we have been given!
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:24 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pommiebird

Those who regret the decision....sod off back to the Uk and give someone else the visa who would appreciate moving here...... we have a hard enough time shaking off the whingin pom we have been given!
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:30 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Pommiebird
Best move I ever made...14 years and I still do not take it for granted...i have a bad day i look at the scenery and smile.

I get the feeling that some of those who don't like it here, have no intention of assisting anyone who may wish to come here, to actually do so.

Fortunately though, it isn't the majority

Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I'll tell you why.

We came to Perth 8 years ago and couldn't believe our luck, cheap housing relative to wages, cost of living very reasonable. In fact, we only needed to count on one salary and have a much better lifestyle than UK with more cash left over at the end of the day, it was a no brainer for us and a no brainer for thousands of UK migrants who came over at the same time or before. Word spread back to UK and everyone started to think about migrating to Aus.

Trouble is, the economic environment has changed here massively in the last 2 years. Today, that swap is impossible unless you are cashed up and earning a great wage. Cost of living has skyrocketed, no question, our income has risen at and above the inflation rate and it we're seeing the effects.

When things aren't going so rosy and people start to struggle financially, they start noticing all the negatives in Aus, like sun too hot, locals rude, price of beans is high and realise what they had back home wasn't so bad after all.

I've noticed a massive shift in affordability and cost of living in Perth over the last 2 years and I'm betting on the fact that the party is over here for the medium term. Poms can't afford to come here anymore, there's no 'fat' in the move unless you are blinded by beaches, parks and surf and on't give a shit about the financials.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I get the feeling that some of those who don't like it here, have no intention of assisting anyone who may wish to come here, to actually do so.

Thank God ABCDiamond can come to the rescue in assisting wannabe migrants ......

http://www.britzinoz.com/
Old Apr 15th 2010, 11:26 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Poms can't afford to come here anymore
Unless they work in resources.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 11:40 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

But that excludes many people who are "out there enjoying it".
and those that went home.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 11:53 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

I disagree, I think you get a good mix of views here. It wouldn't be a good thing if everyone put a positive spin on everything, and there wasn't genuine critical analysis happening.

Just because some complain about things doesn't mean they hate the place and regret coming to Australia. Often the only things worth commenting on are the things you're not 100% happy about, as you're usually too busy enjoying the other stuff to talk about it.

From our point of view we're really happy, we want to truely settle here, but the wife seems to think that means buying a house, only I don't want to sell my soul to the devil.

Finally, I'm a programmer - I have never seen or written a perfect program - it would be the beginning of the end if I did.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 11:54 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by coolshadows
I disagree, I think you get a good mix of views here. It wouldn't be a good thing if everyone put a positive spin on everything, and there wasn't genuine critical analysis happening.

Just because some complain about things doesn't mean they hate the place and regret coming to Australia. Often the only things worth commenting on are the things you're not 100% happy about, as you're usually too busy enjoying the other stuff to talk about it.

From our point of view we're really happy, we want to truely settle here, but the wife seems to think that means buying a house, only I don't want to sell my soul to the devil.

Finally, I'm a programmer - I have never seen or written a perfect program - it would be the beginning of the end if I did.
hmmmm. houses. I'm never buying one again once I flog this one.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 11:56 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
It's great here, totally love it! Believe me after the last few months I've had, if I didn't like it here I would have left!!
Never regretted it!
You deported me instead
Old Apr 15th 2010, 12:09 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
You deported me instead
Only temporarily though!
Old Apr 15th 2010, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Unless they work in resources.
And what percentage is that? 2%.

2 speed economy, those in mining and the others.

The US had Wall Street, who's salaries and bonuses would piss all over Australia's mining community, same as The City in UK. Wasn't enough to save them when it all went titis up, was it?
Old Apr 15th 2010, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

Materialistic people who went over years ago are now moaning cost are now high. Make sure you move for the correct reasons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.