a bit more expensive
19.57%
much more expensive
54.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Living Costs Oz vs UK

Old Oct 4th 2012, 2:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living Costs Oz vs UK

Originally Posted by Beoz
That's the point. Whether it's £4 a pint in London or $7 a schooner in Sydney or $18 a pint in Perth (I have travelled to most Oz cities for work and Perth certainly takes the cake for price of food and booze) it really is only relevant if you are a British tourist on £££££. Right now it is not good for a British tourist to be coming to Oz on a boozing holiday.
The upside being a Aussie going to the UK.... almost like the old super cheap days of Spain for Brits.

Wonder how long this cheap holidaying will last for Aussies, It's been a while now, we have a bit of an inkling how the American tourists on tour used to feel.

As a side note, I noticed they were advertising London property for sale in Kensington on main stream Melbourne radio, 3AW now.... 497k Aud for a a one bed flat. Not bad for almost Central London and a sign of how much available money there is in Australia now.

Holiday shacks in London.... whatever next.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 4th 2012 at 3:02 am.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

That's the point. Whether it's £4 a pint in London or $7 a schooner in Sydney or $18 a pint in Perth (I have travelled to most Oz cities for work and Perth certainly takes the cake for price of food and booze) it really is only relevant if you are a British tourist on £££££. Right now it is not good for a British tourist to be coming to Oz on a boozing holiday.
Yup. As a pure %age of salary it's not so bad.

I feel sorry for the in-laws when they come over and do the "we'll get this one" after dinner ..
Old Oct 4th 2012, 3:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
The upside being a Aussie going to the UK.... almost like the old super cheap days of Spain for Brits.

Wonder how long this cheap holidaying will last for Aussies, It's been a while now, we have a bit of an inkling how the American tourists on tour used to feel.

As a side note, I noticed they were advertising London property for sale in Kensington on main stream Melbourne radio, 3AW now.... 497k Aud for a a one bed flat. Not bad for almost Central London and a sign of how much available money there is in Australia now.

Holiday shacks in London.... whatever next.
I must stay - I spent way more than I thought I would, on Aussie dollars, on beer, in London during the Olympics.

I saw a 1 bedroom flat in Darlinghurst, Sydney go for about that price a couple of weeks back. Sounds about on par with location
Old Oct 4th 2012, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bibbs
Yup. As a pure %age of salary it's not so bad.

I feel sorry for the in-laws when they come over and do the "we'll get this one" after dinner ..
I do that going to the UK ..... I spent a fortune on the inlaws ..... mind you most of it was to keep the father in law at bay. He owns a shot gun and I dragged his only daughter to the other side of the planet
Old Oct 4th 2012, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Theres loads of places to drink affordably in Sydney. Less than 5 minutes from my flat in Surry Hills I have the Mac Hotel that does $4.50 schooners of excellent brewed-onsite beer ($3 at 5-8 happy hour) and the Porterhouse which does $6 pints of guinness.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 7:46 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

All I know is that we are finding it way cheaper here, we arent a tourist and arent using $'s to buy stuff. We pay way under £3 for a pint which using ANY exchange rate is nowhere near $10. I do understand the rabid Ozphiles here wanting to defend their new country to the hilt but even looking at the poll over 50% think that Australia is much more expensive. My question really is that if the defenders are so happy with their lives in Australia what does it natter if it is cheaper in the UK ?
Of course for those who earn significantly more money here then the difference doesnt matter but for the majority of the population that earn less than $44,000 live is getting tougher.
The fact is many things here are cheaper, seriously, get over it
Old Oct 4th 2012, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chris955
All I know is that we are finding it way cheaper here, we arent a tourist and arent using $'s to buy stuff. We pay way under £3 for a pint which using ANY exchange rate is nowhere near $10. I do understand the rabid Ozphiles here wanting to defend their new country to the hilt but even looking at the poll over 50% think that Australia is much more expensive. My question really is that if the defenders are so happy with their lives in Australia what does it natter if it is cheaper in the UK ?
Of course for those who earn significantly more money here then the difference doesnt matter but for the majority of the population that earn less than $44,000 live is getting tougher.
Chris - you keep comparing your home in Moss Side to Perth .... get over it
Old Oct 4th 2012, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

hahahahahaha
Old Oct 4th 2012, 9:09 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Why the need to become childish?

The poll clearly shows what most expats think
Old Oct 4th 2012, 9:12 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Why the need to become childish?

The poll clearly shows what most expats think
Because it is what they do best, it is why they arent credible.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 9:13 am
Banned

I dont live in Manchester and didnt live in Perth
Old Oct 4th 2012, 9:27 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

The traditional exchange rate makes 3 quid around 7 or 8 dollars. It is only recently that the rate changed so drastically - to historical lows - a record - when the UK economy went in the toilet and they crashed sterling before it went round the U-bend. It was around this time that lost of blinkered idiots started talking about "how expensive" Australia was

My view is that both countries are approx the same for living expenses, although (as we have discussed, Chris) you can buy a hell of a lot more land in Australia than you can in UK. A lot of consumables are more expensive in Australia, but this is more than offset by the fact that we pay $1000 a month to rent a three bed unit by the ocean, whereas we paid $1500 a month on this rate for a one bed flat (top floor of small house) in the UK and that was a decade ago. Because big ticket items like rent and fuel and meat are so much cheaper in Australia the higher cost of other things is offset totally.

We feel better off in Australia, for sure, and that is because UK property is so disgracefully over-valued, even after the "crash" and even compared with Australia's outrageously over-valued housing. But none of this stops me from loving both nations, because compared with many countries (Sudan, Japan etc) their cost of living is practically identical.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 9:30 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
that is because UK property is so disgracefully over-valued, even after the "crash" and even compared with Australia's outrageously over-valued housing.
I have been looking to buy another house either in UK or Australia and my experience is that Australia is vastly more expensive than the UK for comparable areas.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Because it is what they do best, it is why they arent credible.

I found it funny, I laughed, that doesn't pigeonhole what I do best or make me less credible.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 9:36 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
I found it funny, I laughed, that doesn't pigeonhole what I do best or make me less credible.
Why was it funny?

Chris has never said he lives in Moss Side

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.