a bit more expensive
19.57%
much more expensive
54.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Living Costs Oz vs UK

Old Oct 4th 2012, 7:54 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living Costs Oz vs UK

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
So if you hate QLD so much, why not vote with your feet or is there something more positive that keeps you there? Like the living costs perhaps?
Remind us again where you live.....have you actually ever emigrated?
Old Oct 4th 2012, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Remind us again where you live.....have you actually ever emigrated?
Currently in the UK.
Yes.
Remind us again, is this a discussion forum?

Last edited by TheArmChairDetective; Oct 4th 2012 at 8:53 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I don't understand some of these comments. My way of life here is as near as dammit the same as it was in Herts, let alone presumably how it would be in another State. Apart from the weather obviously. Can someone explain why QLD (massive state of course) is considered hard to live in, why people consider themselves lucky they don't live here. I must be missing something hugely fundamental
It's probably perception. When we present our products in QLD we change the presentation to 'appeal to the bogan' - bit like a Bunnings commercial.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 9:03 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
It's probably perception. When we present our products in QLD we change the presentation to 'appeal to the bogan' - bit like a Bunnings commercial.
so the presentations done from the back of a ute loaded with 4x ?
Old Oct 4th 2012, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
so the presentations done from the back of a ute loaded with 4x ?
Not quite ..... but that's a great idea
Old Oct 4th 2012, 10:24 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
SA regional visas were always easier to get than elsewhere which is why many used it as a gateway.
Genuinely interested to know how SA regional visas were easier to get.

I wouldn't want to live in bloody Adelaide so that invalidates that argument........and neither do most other migrants.
As I have said, this is the primary appeal to me. The fewer the better in fact, because the fewer that come here the slower it will turn into SE Queensland or Perth. Despite your statement about everyone hating Adelaide, I can't help notice that the biggest anti-Aus whingers on these forums are commonly from SE Queensland. I wonder why that is.

.....and before you give us a lot of bull about traffic etc. I have spent a lot of time in Adelaide.....my son lived in Norwood for many years (and that is not a particularly cheap area either) and I know that the traffic can be pretty awful in Adelaide as Well.
I live in Adelaide. Right now. In the traffic every day. We routinely cut through North Terrace because it's faster than going round North Adelaide. I can't think of a UK city I deliberately drive the heart of to speed things up. I love Britain, but I'm being honest.

My son eventually threatened to leave his company if they did not move him back to Braisbane.......they agreed even though much of his work is still in Adelaide.....he prefers to commute when he has to.
As I have said, nowhere will appeal to everyone. It is interesting that you use Brisbane in your post because it is the second from last place I want to visit in Australia (after Melbourne), and the last place I would want to live (after Darwin). I say this to demonstrate that your son and I have very different ideas of what makes a pleasant life, and being free citizens in a free country we can choose and each make ourselves happier and good luck to both.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

Just to add .. stats on Aussie wages (weekly) :-

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/mf/6302.0

Private & public sectors
Full-time adult ordinary time earnings - 1352.70 (x52 70340.40)

http://www.livingin-australia.com/salaries-australia/
Full-time earnings in Australia averaged A$69,992 a year in the first quarter of 2012.

So I don't know where the 44k comes from. Must be part-time workers.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 12:20 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
SA regional visas have traditionally been easier to get than straight PR, and have been a route into Australia for people who wuld normally not qualify for residence. I think that this is down to the fact that SA struggles to attract migrants (interstate and overseas) due to the lower job opps/salaries and weak economic activity.

BTW, I have never been to Adelaide and have no axe to grind with the place (this could change if I ever go there!).
Old Oct 5th 2012, 12:38 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
SA regional visas have traditionally been easier to get than straight PR, and have been a route into Australia for people who wuld normally not qualify for residence. I think that this is down to the fact that SA struggles to attract migrants (interstate and overseas) due to the lower job opps/salaries and weak economic activity.

BTW, I have never been to Adelaide and have no axe to grind with the place (this could change if I ever go there!).
I've no reason to doubt Grayling, or you, and I'm now wondering how they were easier, being as I thought the old SIR visa was set at the federal level. I've no problems with Adelaide at all. I've been to other cities and haven't been tempted to leave Adelaide because they were all so much more expensive and too heavily populated, but as I say... each person likes a different thing, etc. and I don't condemn anyone for living anywhere. I can see how someone who likes a busy city would have a problem with Adelaide, certainly. It's sort of like a glorified Cheltenham with vineyards, but that suits me.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've been to other cities and haven't been tempted to leave Adelaide because they were all so much more expensive
Bibbs link show's just why it is cheaper in Adelaide. The average salary is way behind.

http://www.livingin-australia.com/salaries-australia/

..... and that's the very point. If you can earn in Adelaide what you would normally receive in a place like Sydney or Melbourne then why not live in Adelaide. But I suspect you can't as the average show's, therefore the average person is no better off living in a cheaper place.

I will not deny that items like clothing or sporting goods are way beyond a worldwide price. But I simply do not buy clothing, sporting goods, or anything from a retail shop in this country.

Providing you don't buy things, like parts of old cars, houses, clothing, sporting goods, etc then the necessities such rent, fuel, electricity, food, are on par if not less in some cases than the UK as a straight exchange rate or even as a proportion of salary. Of course that's a sweeping statement - somethings will be more some less but it evens itself out.

You just got to make sure you compare the salary you can get in the UK with what you can get in Oz and providing its in the 2-2.5 bracket then you can be well ahead. Any less then you've got to be dead keen for the beach or outdoors or something.

Comparing Perth with somewhere in the Midlands really isn't a fair comparision. The highest costing place in Australia with a middle costing place in the UK.

In my case Oz is cheaper for me but it's the way I chose it to be and it works. For others it may not be the case. So be it.

Edit - I haven't voted. The question is too broad and I can't give a correct answer

Last edited by Beoz; Oct 5th 2012 at 1:45 am.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

As I have said, this is the primary appeal to me. The fewer the better in fact, because the fewer that come here the slower it will turn into SE Queensland or Perth. Despite your statement about everyone hating Adelaide, I can't help notice that the biggest anti-Aus whingers on these forums are commonly from SE Queensland. I wonder why that is.
I don't think most migrants think of SA to move too but are attracted by NSW, VIC and Shit,opps QLD. Maybe a lack of interest means those with low points are enticed to move there to begin with?

And the reason there are so many whingers about SE QLD is cos it's shit in so many ways. It's like Milton Regis but with no entertainment and useless road system oh and crap public transport

On the plus side Westfield Chermside does the best sushi this side of Japan
Old Oct 5th 2012, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

To deal with the faux-nonchalant point about SA making it easier - this is absolute nonsense. The state is subject to the same laws as everywhere else. Those that move on to the Gold Coast or Sydney are not the sort of people that are going to enjoy a small town atmosphere like Adelaide, or vineyards etc. So we wish then well in pursuit of the theme parks and water slides or whatever they go to Queensland for. This might suggest why SA has one of the lowest English populations in the country, and we're all grateful for that. We like it here because it is very low population density, very low English demographic, beautiful architecture, vineyards, and the traffic is so easy sometimes we cut through the CBD as a short cut.
Grayling is right. with the regional 495 I was on, SA was the only state where you could live in the city, other regional visas you were out in the bush which is why I moved there originally...then to Sydney

All I can say is I went out in Sydney last night with over a $100 I dont have much left!
Old Oct 5th 2012, 2:50 am
Banned

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
Grayling is right. with the regional 495 I was on, SA was the only state where you could live in the city, other regional visas you were out in the bush which is why I moved there originally...then to Sydney

All I can say is I went out in Sydney last night with over a $100 I dont have much left!
Ah, but certain regional districts allowed for commuting into capital cities though, so the advantage was slight. Also, this isn't an easier system, but a completely different rule - I mean the inclusion of Adelaide. Also, Perth has been included as a regional area in recent times as well so it's not been restricted to Adelaide.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 2:52 am
Banned

Originally Posted by denzil73
I don't think most migrants think of SA to move too but are attracted by NSW, VIC and Shit,opps QLD. Maybe a lack of interest means those with low points are enticed to move there to begin with?

And the reason there are so many whingers about SE QLD is cos it's shit in so many ways. It's like Milton Regis but with no entertainment and useless road system oh and crap public transport

On the plus side Westfield Chermside does the best sushi this side of Japan
I've rarely read anything good about suburban SE Queensland on these forums. I'm not letting me put me off visiting though, but I doubt I would ever live there. Again, full respect to those who live there and enjoy it - this is only a personal opinion.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 3:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
You clearly didn't drink enough. I'll easily do $150 on a Friday night and easily do £100 in London on a Friday night.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.