Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lack of Culture???

Lack of Culture???

Old Jan 3rd 2007, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Lack of Culture???

What kind of "culture" are people looking for in Australia?

I'm really interested. Personally, I'm not expecting to find thousands of years of european history & culture there, I mean, its a relatively new country, full of people from all over the world, all bringing their own bit of "culture" with them. But of course there are thousands of years of aboriginal culture there as well. But they didn't build castles and churches, so maybe that doesn't count

Are people moving from the UK hoping that Australia will be just like the UK, only with sun? and if they find it isn't then it has no culture
</IMG></IMG>
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 11:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child

In OZ there is a pc sense of 'multi-culturalism' but dig a bit deeper and you find that migrants are always migrants, and never really 'one of us'. So no surprise that the most sociable and friendly people I have come across here are others who have also come here from elsewhere, to live.
Bollox.

I could explain properly what I mean, but you will come back with some nonsense that you believe in and I don't so I think Bollox will do nicely.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 12:08 pm
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dollydaydream2
What kind of "culture" are people looking for in Australia?

I'm really interested. Personally, I'm not expecting to find thousands of years of european history & culture there, I mean, its a relatively new country, full of people from all over the world, all bringing their own bit of "culture" with them. But of course there are thousands of years of aboriginal culture there as well. But they didn't build castles and churches, so maybe that doesn't count

Are people moving from the UK hoping that Australia will be just like the UK, only with sun? and if they find it isn't then it has no culture
</IMG></IMG>
True ,but a fair amount of people who migrate dont realise what culture is untill its gone ,more importantly they dont realise how important their own culture is but once you end up in the land of the big shopping centres it suddenly dawns on you there isnt nothing else and what there is certainly doesnt have any similarities to brain activating culture.
Aboriginal culture is indeed a wonderful thing ,but its no more connected to me than the men /women that painted the caves in france and they are european .
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 12:19 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassenach
True ,but a fair amount of people who migrate dont realise what culture is untill its gone ,more importantly they dont realise how important their own culture is but once you end up in the land of the big shopping centres it suddenly dawns on you there isnt nothing else and what there is certainly doesnt have any similarities to brain activating culture.
Aboriginal culture is indeed a wonderful thing ,but its no more connected to me than the men /women that painted the caves in france and they are european .
The shopping centres around my way are all a lot smaller and nicer than the ones near where I lived in the UK. Funny world ain't it

It's all down to personal perspective. I look at a lovely 14th century church in lovely old England and wonder what the hell that has to do with me - very pretty though.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Bollox.

I could explain properly what I mean, but you will come back with some nonsense that you believe in and I don't so I think Bollox will do nicely.
It's not often that I really do laugh out loud, alone in my room, when I read a post - but with this one I really did...
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 12:57 pm
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by northernbird
You are a decent person Badge, I wish I could be more sympathetic towards people. I agree that change is good and a lot of people come for change but to come from a large city where your life is full of family, friends, pubs, clubs, shops etc etc on your doorstep to a bland australian suburb that doesn't have those things, it's a recipe for disaster in my book.
How can you critisise Australia for not having your friends and family on your doorstop when you arrived there? I didnt have ready made friends and family on my doorstop either, when I moved to the UK. Missing friends and family is a valid reason to move home, but don't blame Australia for it.

BTW, I agree that some of the outer suburbs in Australian cities are not desirable places to live. Same can be said of most cities. However, who wants to go to the same pub every weekend, which is waht you do if you visit your local week in week out.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 1:00 pm
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sunbather
I get exceptionally irritated when I keep reading on here, or MBTTUK, that people are bored

Only boring people get bored!

Interesting people find interesting things to do.
Never has a truer sentence been said on this forum. Not surprised you have all the 'boring" people jumping all over it. I have never been bored for one minute in my life, there are not enough hours in the day to do all the things I want to do.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 1:04 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

A quick google for 'Oz Culture' gives the following links on the first page:

Fruit Flies 3
Parrots 1
Optimism 1
Aboriginal Art 1
Growing Marijuana 1
Radio Station article about lack of culture 2
About Australia 1

I'm impressed.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 1:06 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denver
How can you critisise Australia for not having your friends and family on your doorstop when you arrived there? I didnt have ready made friends and family on my doorstop either, when I moved to the UK. Missing friends and family is a valid reason to move home, but don't blame Australia for it.

BTW, I agree that some of the outer suburbs in Australian cities are not desirable places to live. Same can be said of most cities. However, who wants to go to the same pub every weekend, which is waht you do if you visit your local week in week out.
have you read the whole thread, you clearly haven't if you think what I wrote applied to me.

Last edited by northernbird; Jan 3rd 2007 at 1:18 pm. Reason: shouldn't be rude
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 1:15 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Please bear in mind this thread will be closed if personal jibes continue.

Buzzy
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 1:17 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

apologies buzzy
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 1:30 pm
Banned

have you read the whole thread, you clearly haven't if you think what I wrote applied to me.
You said that people who come from the UK, who have friends, family, shops, pubs, clubs etc on their doorstep will end up frustrated living in suburban Australia. Not true?
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sassenach
But what is the "British" culture? Apart from a long history and some old buildings, what else does it have? I've lived away from the UK for six years, and I can't say i've missed the "British" culture. I lived in Australia for a year, and I've missed it ever since, even with its lack of hundreds of year old buildings. As for shopping centres, the UK is full of huge ones, and there are loads of boring suburbs in the UK.

As far as I can remember Australia had just as many museums, art galleries etc etc, Melbourne definitely had far more modern art on display, in the streets for everyone to appreciate for free. I remember watching the Sydney Symphony Orchestra in the park for free.

Australia has plenty of culture if you bother to look for it.

If you can't adapt to a new country thats fine, but you can hardly blame it for not being more like home and not having the same history and culture as where you've come from, it is thousands of miles away on the other side of the world.

You have to adapt to it, it doesn't have to adapt to you. I'm sure the Australians are very happy with it the way it is.

Dolly
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 1:50 pm
Gutter Gob!!

I agree Badge. I come from a small village where everyone knew your business. My grandmother would know I was walking down to visit before I got there when I was a kid, nightmare. I like living in suburbia, nobody knows me and thats how I like it. However I have seen a few people on here that lived in large cities back in England (Leeds/Manchester) and then move to a quiet suburb that's 15 mins drive to civilisation, no pub, no shops, no decent public transport and winge like buggary that they are bored.
You are a decent person Badge, I wish I could be more sympathetic towards people. I agree that change is good and a lot of people come for change but to come from a large city where your life is full of family, friends, pubs, clubs, shops etc etc on your doorstep to a bland australian suburb that doesn't have those things, it's a recipe for disaster in my book.

Here you go Denver I have quoted the posts you refer to. Have another read of it. I wasn't saying this happens to everyone, I was expressing the opinion (which I am entitled to btw ) that it makes it more difficult for those people rather than the likes of me that didn't have those things in my life.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

zerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Lack of Culture???

Originally Posted by dollydaydream2
But what is the "British" culture? Apart from a long history and some old buildings, what else does it have?
Dolly
British culture created literature like Shakespeare,Harry Potter,Lord Of The Rings,Peter Pan,Alice In Wonderland,Frankenstein,Dracula,Sherlock Holmes,HG Wells classics,Roald Dahl classics,Charles Dickens classics and countless others which had a worldwide influence.It created different popular music -The Beatles,Rolling Stones,Pink Floyd- psychadelia,glam rock,heavy metal,punk rock,goth music,the fusion of ska and rock etc-these were all British.British culture gave the world street fashions and styles-mods,tudors,punks,goths,new romantics,skinheads(the proper ones)etc.There is a distinct British sense of humour.I could go on for ever about British culture.

For a while Australian culture was seen as an offshhot from Britain.Now Australia has its own sense of humour and the outdoor lifestyle and fusion of Aboriginal and immigrant culture will(is?) create a richer culture in time.
I do wonder why some Brits bother emigrating.If I loved outdoor sports,swimming,surfing,barbies and was desperate for more space then Australia sure beats Britain.Both countries have their good and bad qualities -just don't emigrate and still expect the same things you left behind.

Last edited by zerohero; Jan 3rd 2007 at 3:20 pm. Reason: missed stuff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.