Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Initial Settlement in VIC

Initial Settlement in VIC

Old Aug 8th 2009, 12:36 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Initial Settlement in VIC

Originally Posted by Ajay.Venk
I am moving to VIC

What is the website i should check. Pls post.
I take it that there is no initiative test as part of this visa requirement....?
Old Aug 8th 2009, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Ajay.Venk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi busterboy,

I didn't got ur answer.U mean i have can't use USA DL in aussi. i only get exception from the test over there and i have apply for DL in Aussi.?

Pls enlighten me

Originally Posted by busterboy
I take it that there is no initiative test as part of this visa requirement....?
Old Aug 8th 2009, 3:16 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Hi busterboy,

I didn't got ur answer.U mean i have can't use USA DL in aussi. i only get exception from the test over there and i have apply for DL in Aussi.?

Pls enlighten me
The initiative test provides further benefits including

Accomodation
Food & other living costs
Access to medical and life insurances
Employment prospects etc
Old Aug 8th 2009, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Are u kidding Geelong Gent..

Food & other living costs????

So Funny....

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
The initiative test provides further benefits including

Accomodation
Food & other living costs
Access to medical and life insurances
Employment prospects etc
Old Aug 8th 2009, 11:56 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Are u kidding Geelong Gent..

Food & other living costs????

So Funny....
Old Aug 9th 2009, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...rsLicences.htm

Still confuse....

Can't i drive in VIC, Australia at least one day by using USA Driving license???
Old Aug 9th 2009, 9:09 am
Has left the building

Still confuse....

Can't i drive in VIC, Australia at least one day by using USA Driving license???
What side USA drive?
What side Oz drive?
Ahh there is a difference
Old Aug 9th 2009, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Yeah i know that very well.

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
What side USA drive?
What side Oz drive?
Ahh there is a difference
Old Aug 9th 2009, 11:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Still confuse....

Which bit confuses you? I just clicked on the vic roads link and this is the first thing I read:

The requirement to change your overseas driver licence to a Victorian driver licence depends on whether your stay in Victoria is permanent or temporary.

If you are in Victoria on a temporary visa, you can drive on your overseas licence (provided it is current and valid) for an indefinite period provided your overseas licence is in English (or you have an English translation or an International Driving Permit).

If you are in Victoria on a permanent visa issued under the Migration Act 1958, you may drive on your overseas licence for three months from the date you first entered Australia or from the time the permanent visa was issued to you (whichever is the later). If you want to continue to drive in Victoria after this time you must hold a valid Victorian driver licence.

Seems fairly straightforward to me.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Ok that mean i can drive from USA DL three months from the date you first entered Australia. And after that i have to apply for Victorian driver license.And i will get exception from Driving test since i have USA DL.

Am i correct?

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Which bit confuses you? I just clicked on the vic roads link and this is the first thing I read:

The requirement to change your overseas driver licence to a Victorian driver licence depends on whether your stay in Victoria is permanent or temporary.

If you are in Victoria on a temporary visa, you can drive on your overseas licence (provided it is current and valid) for an indefinite period provided your overseas licence is in English (or you have an English translation or an International Driving Permit).

If you are in Victoria on a permanent visa issued under the Migration Act 1958, you may drive on your overseas licence for three months from the date you first entered Australia or from the time the permanent visa was issued to you (whichever is the later). If you want to continue to drive in Victoria after this time you must hold a valid Victorian driver licence.

Old Aug 9th 2009, 1:12 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok that mean i can drive from USA DL three months from the date you first entered Australia. And after that i have to apply for Victorian driver license.And i will get exception from Driving test since i have USA DL.

Am i correct?
Yes. However I would suggest you get a copy of the driving rules for Victoria. There will be stacks of things they do differently from the driving you've been used to. Ignorance is no excuse when it comes to driving violations and you can easily rack up the fines and points just for lack of the rules of the road book.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20

Oops, we validated our visa in 2006 - this means my oh who is going to come to Oz for 5 weeks with us will not be able to drive a rented car as planned since he has already entered Australia on a PR visa previously.

Cripes, how are we going to get around?

Any idea how long it takes to obtain a DL?
Old Aug 28th 2009, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Hi guys,

I am going to migrate Mernda, Montmorency,VIC. Just want to no any comments about this area?

Pls keep ur ideas.

Thanks,
Ajay