Importing Cars

Old Feb 13th 2011, 9:27 am
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing Cars

I imported my 2nd car to Australia in July 2010, the costs were :-

Containerised shipping UK 1950 pounds
Insurance UK 60 pounds
Steam Cleaning cost on arrival in Australia AU$ 500
Customs clearance admin costs AU$ 350
Import Duty 10% of the cars value ( based on UK price converted to dollars )
GST 10% on top of car value PLUS duty ( double dipping ! )
Engineers fees for Australian Compliance AU$500

Then on top of that you need to pay Registration fees ( road tax ) which will include stamp duty for a first time registered car.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

The BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really nice

Originally Posted by Robbie37Michelle32
Big ape could you give me a ruff cost for shipping my car to OZ

Its an 09 BMW 135i convertable £30k when i got it i think price from dealer now 27k shipping it to Brissy i got quoted 10k is that right ? thanks
Dear Robbie37Michelle,

Before you consider bringing you beautiful pride and joy into Australia (Brisbane in Particular) please send me a PM and let me give you my STORY so far with my BMW import from the UK!

In particular please allow me to steer you well clear of an outfit which I will not name here for reasons which might still affect my case, as after 4 months since it was shipped out I am still without my car and I don' expect to have it in my possession for at least another 3 weeks at best!!! But I am very happy to relay my story to you in the strictest of confidentially!

Very best regards,

The BBs
Old Apr 25th 2011, 4:42 am
Just Joined

richiejones24 is an unknown quantity at this point

I imported my car car 4 months ago to Aus, i was dreading paying the import taxes as I have a Rang Rover Sport, I was estimating £9000 in duties and taxes, but i found a way of lowering them!!

thaw it may not be strictly legal!! Found a company on Google that does mileage corrections ie. clocking your car! phone and asked if they could increase the mileage on my vehicle (he was quite surprised as i was the first person ever to ask him to increase the mileage!) well anyway he changed it from 36,000 to 196,000, I went ahead and shipped it over, on arrival I i had the RAC do an independent valuation, let me tell you was considerably lower i only ended up paying £3000 in duties!

This may not be a ideal solution for everyone especially if you are planning on selling your vehicle at sometime in the future. But for me its ideal i know how many miles the car has really done and i am not planning on selling it.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richiejones24
I imported my car car 4 months ago to Aus, i was dreading paying the import taxes as I have a Rang Rover Sport, I was estimating £9000 in duties and taxes, but i found a way of lowering them!!

thaw it may not be strictly legal!! Found a company on Google that does mileage corrections ie. clocking your car! phone and asked if they could increase the mileage on my vehicle (he was quite surprised as i was the first person ever to ask him to increase the mileage!) well anyway he changed it from 36,000 to 196,000, I went ahead and shipped it over, on arrival I i had the RAC do an independent valuation, let me tell you was considerably lower i only ended up paying £3000 in duties!

This may not be a ideal solution for everyone especially if you are planning on selling your vehicle at sometime in the future. But for me its ideal i know how many miles the car has really done and i am not planning on selling it.

Have you clocked it back again?
Old Apr 25th 2011, 10:38 am
Just Joined

richiejones24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Have you clocked it back again?
No i've left it no reason for me to change it as i'm never planning to sell the vehicle, i know what the mileage is really, and when I registered the car they took down the current mileage so i'm not sure that i can change it back without getting in trouble.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richiejones24
No i've left it no reason for me to change it as i'm never planning to sell the vehicle, i know what the mileage is really, and when I registered the car they took down the current mileage so i'm not sure that i can change it back without getting in trouble.
Fair enough.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

nevster is an unknown quantity at this point

I wasn't planning on importing a car prior to my move to Aus (Melbourne) but with the weakness of the pound it seems like rather than moving money from UK to Aus with the intention of it funding a car, it would be better just to use that money here in the UK where it's still worth something!

I'm planning on moving at the end of 2012 so I still have sometime to find a car I want then buy it and own it for 12 months prior to importing it into Aus.

I'm looking at getting an '09 or '08 BMW 1 Series 120d for around the £15k mark. The other option is to get a slightly older 320d touring. The intention is to keep this car rather than to sell it once I get to Aus.

Has anyone shipped a 1 Series (or any BMW) over and can share the experience with regards to extra servicing/parts costs or any other hassles you've had?
Old Jul 31st 2011, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by nevster
I wasn't planning on importing a car prior to my move to Aus (Melbourne) but with the weakness of the pound it seems like rather than moving money from UK to Aus with the intention of it funding a car, it would be better just to use that money here in the UK where it's still worth something!

I'm planning on moving at the end of 2012 so I still have sometime to find a car I want then buy it and own it for 12 months prior to importing it into Aus.

I'm looking at getting an '09 or '08 BMW 1 Series 120d for around the £15k mark. The other option is to get a slightly older 320d touring. The intention is to keep this car rather than to sell it once I get to Aus.

Has anyone shipped a 1 Series (or any BMW) over and can share the experience with regards to extra servicing/parts costs or any other hassles you've had?
No, I haven't imported a Bee Em, but and I think your motive is sound. Buy something decent there in pounds and ship it over, as long as it works out financially.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

Kenzi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: car export

Hey folks, I recently moved to Perth a couple of weeks ago and looking to have my car shipped over to me here.

Make - BMW
Model - 335i
Model Type -
Body Type - Coupe
Engine Size - 3.5L
Transmission - Manual
Year of Manufacture - 2008
Mileage - 58,000 miles
Condition - Excellent (I spent AGES cleaning it before I left. Inside and out plus the car is generally newish anyway. Its sitting with a cover over it and will be cleaned again before leaving)
What you believe the car is worth in the UK ? £18,000

Anyone know rough costs of shipping/tax's etc etc..? Ive owned it since last xmas and couldnt bare to sell it as its my pride and joy!!

Also, can anyone recommend any decent shipping agencies who I could contact. I've read so many different stories of the process's too so if someone can explain a step by step guide I would love them forever!!!

Thanks

Kenzi
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 2:23 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car export

Originally Posted by Kenzi
Hey folks, I recently moved to Perth a couple of weeks ago and looking to have my car shipped over to me here.

Make - BMW
Model - 335i
Model Type -
Body Type - Coupe
Engine Size - 3.5L
Transmission - Manual
Year of Manufacture - 2008
Mileage - 58,000 miles
Condition - Excellent (I spent AGES cleaning it before I left. Inside and out plus the car is generally newish anyway. Its sitting with a cover over it and will be cleaned again before leaving)
What you believe the car is worth in the UK ? £18,000

Anyone know rough costs of shipping/tax's etc etc..? Ive owned it since last xmas and couldnt bare to sell it as its my pride and joy!!

Also, can anyone recommend any decent shipping agencies who I could contact. I've read so many different stories of the process's too so if someone can explain a step by step guide I would love them forever!!!

Thanks

Kenzi
Sorry to put a damper on your plans but you have to have owned and actively used the vehicle for 12 months before you can be issued with an import permit.

See page 17
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa..._july_2011.pdf
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

Kenzi is an unknown quantity at this point

This is what I thought.. But was told by some authorities that this is not the case?

Hi Mark.

I had not heard of the 12 month rule before so I forwarded your query to Denise in our import policy area.
See her response below.
Nichole Laird | ACT District Office | Enforcement Operations
Hi Nilcole

In response to your query, the Customs Act 1901 allows the importation of used vehicles that have been owned for a period of less than twelve months.? There is no concessional treatment for motor vehicles that have been owned and used for a period of twelve months or more.? All motor vehicles are required to be entered for ‘home consumption’ and are required to pay the appropriate Customs duty,Goods and Services Tax (GST) and/or Luxury Car Tax (LCT).
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 3:58 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kenzi
This is what I thought.. But was told by some authorities that this is not the case?
Hmmm... I wonder if they're not confusing it with importing a vehicle to the ACT? Sounds like it could be.

That was something that irritated me a lot. I had to pay import duties to bring my motorbike into Australia and then again to import and register it in the ACT.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 4:01 am
Banned

Believe it or not there's a points test as well for importing a vehicle. Take a look on that infrastructure link. All of the info you need will be there.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

top gear was on last night and it just shocked me as to the value of second hand cars in Australia.

Their mission was to find a second hand car for the same price as a new nissan which was 6995 quid. Jeremy found the Mercedes CL600 for 6995 with about 80,000 on the clock. In Australia, its a different story.

Observe: a quick 2 minutes search. there may be differences in milage (etc), I havent gone out of my way to find exact matches, just the same basic cars:

UK From Auto Trader

Total: GBP 8,750.00

Australia (bear in mind that according to the actual description this has also just been reduced by $20,000) From carsales.com.au

Total: AUD 69,000

OK, just found a cheaper one for the bargain price of $55,000

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 8:25 pm
Banned

I think with hindsight in mind I would have bought my dream car for wifey () and a dream motorbike for myself at around the same time or a few months before I applied for Aus PR. Ah well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.