Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I went to Oz for a holiday

I went to Oz for a holiday

Old Apr 9th 2006, 3:25 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I went to Oz for a holiday

Originally Posted by kiwichild
In a democracy people are free to express their opinons
Serious question. What makes you think this forum is a democracy? I hear that word used often, along with the phrase "freedom of speech" in relation to BE. This is a private forum, run by private individuals - they aren't governed by any law that says they must allow everyone to have free reign and say what they want. Otherwise I'd be able to say **** and **** - and I wouldn't get PMs from moderators when I make a pun based on someone's name.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 3:26 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: I went to Oz for a holiday

Originally Posted by millymog
Can i just say, if you come to Britain, ANY part of Britain, that is where you will see character. Quaint houses built of all shapes and sizes, greenary, lakes, forests, mountains, streams, rivers, need i go on?
Yes, you can visit Wallsall and spend a day pointing out all the "character" there. I'd be fascinated to hear your commentary on Walsall's historic roadworks (circa September 2005.)

No, seriously; Walsall does have a little bit of character, to be fair. There's some wonderful examples of Victorian architecture that I regularly drool over. Unfortunately, most of them have are (a) left to rot and/or (b) poorly maintained. All of them are absolutely filthy; nothing ever seems to get cleaned over here.

But it really is a horrendous exaggeration to claim that you can find "character" absolutely anywhere in the UK.

And since you don't appear to have noticed, I really should point out that South Australia does indeed have greenery (spelt with a second "e", not an "a"), lakes, forests, mountains, streams and rivers. Just drive up into the hills (Mt Lofty is a great place to start) and fill your boots.

when i was in Adelaide it was just vast browness, dried up ditches, FLIES and bungalows with tin fences either in green or beige...Im sorry, but i just didnt like it..
You must have missed the Regency architecture, the Federation architecture, the Victorian architecture, the German towns in the Adelaide Hills (Hahndorf and Lobethal spring to mind; both contain splendid examples of 19th Century German architecture), Urrbrae House (along with most of the houses in Urrbrae; particularly those built in the 1930s), and Adelaide's many parks and private gardens.

And you must have done a pretty good job of missing them, because they're jolly hard to miss.

Did you visit Cummins House?

Did you visit Collingrove Homestead?

Did you visit Old Government House?

Did you visit Ayers House?

Did you visit Carrick Hill?

Did you visit Martindale Hall?

Did you visit the Waite Arboretum?

(Examples could be multipled!)

I reckon you didn't visit any of those places. In fact, I'm willing to bet that you didn't know they existed until you read this post.

That's why I think your analysis of Adelaide is totally unjustified.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Or like this.

The view from my bedroom.

G
I know, you are so lucky. But we can't afford to live there We did look into it once also looked at cornwall, but same there
Old Apr 9th 2006, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

millymog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Maybe millymog checked out adelaide as she is one of the many immigrants who cant get in unless they are prepared to live and work there. If she was destined for adelaide would there have been much point checking out Brisbane.

I agree australias a big place tho, although most of its not habitable, leaving most with a choice of less than a handful of large towns/cities.

Visit first and see more than one place if you have that choice.
The reason i went to Adelaide is because my friend has emigrated there and i went to see her. Maybe if it was going to be a sightseeing holiday i should have gone to Sydney?
Old Apr 9th 2006, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Yes, you can visit Wallsall and spend a day pointing out all the "character" there. I'd be fascinated to hear your commentary on Walsall's historic roadworks (circa September 2005.)

No, seriously; Walsall does have a little bit of character, to be fair. There's some wonderful examples of Victorian architecture that I regularly drool over. Unfortunately, most of them have are (a) left to rot and/or (b) poorly maintained. All of them are absolutely filthy; nothing ever seems to get cleaned over here.

But it really is a horrendous exaggeration to claim that you can find "character" absolutely anywhere in the UK.

And since you don't appear to have noticed, I really should point out that South Australia does indeed have greenery (spelt with a second "e", not an "a"), lakes, forests, mountains, streams and rivers. Just drive up into the hills (Mt Lofty is a great place to start) and fill your boots.

You must have missed the Regency architecture, the Federation architecture, the Victorian architecture, the German towns in the Adelaide Hills (Hahndorf and Lobethal spring to mind; both contain splendid examples of 19th Century German architecture), Urrbrae House (along with most of the houses in Urrbrae; particularly those built in the 1930s), and Adelaide's many parks and private gardens.

And you must have done a pretty good job of missing them, because they're jolly hard to miss.

Did you visit Cummins House?

Did you visit Collingrove Homestead?

Did you visit Old Government House?

Did you visit Ayers House?

Did you visit Carrick Hill?

Did you visit Martindale Hall?

Did you visit the Waite Arboretum?

(Examples could be multipled!)

I reckon you didn't visit any of those places. In fact, I'm willing to bet that you didn't know they existed until you read this post.

That's why I think your analysis of Adelaide is totally unjustified.

And that's why I think they are just stirring and have probably not even been to Adelaide. Because out of all the places in Australia, Adelaide may be a bit "dull" ( for those lacking imagination ) but it is certainly full of beautiful places.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 3:33 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I can imagine the outcry if someone wrote off England's own countryside and World Heritage areas (all 26 of them!) on the grounds that it's "so damn dull", "just consistently dull" and "the boring green country."
Allow me then mate. I lived in a world heritage site - namely Bath - for a decade. I would rather dangle my bollocks in hot chip fat than spend another nano-second there. It sums up so much of the rotten core of this country that it boggles me old mind.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrone
Okay, so the OP came, saw, wasn't impressed. That's her right. But if she disliked it so much, I gather she won't be emigrating..................so what the hell is she doing spouting her nonsense on an Expats site?

Amen to that.

Can I just say something? My post was about my experience in Australia and just saying that people should look at wherever they are debating on moving to, before they make the big leap.

I love Wales, but ive been there about 4 times, in different places, and although i think its great, I couldnt see myself living there.

I dunno. Some people do read into peoples comments too much.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 3:35 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I would rather dangle my bollocks in hot chip fat than spend another nano-second there.

.....now thatI would like to see!
Old Apr 9th 2006, 3:38 pm
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
.....now thatI would like to see!
lol - tonight ... for one night only ...
Old Apr 9th 2006, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Why did you only go to Adelaide then? I can't imagine going to Australia on holiday and not going to Sydney or the Barrier Reef.

Can you imagine an Ozzie coming all the way to the UK but only going to Slough or Sheffield?

I must admit I have never heard of anyone not liking Australia, it may not be the best place to live for everyone but for holidays it is great
As i have said before...my friend lives there
Also, poor slough and sheffield lol
Old Apr 9th 2006, 3:43 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

And it would be 'one night only' cos they'd be burnt to a crisp!
Old Apr 9th 2006, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by WendyC
What like this (just half a mile away from where I am)

Where can you find that in another country lol
Old Apr 9th 2006, 3:46 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

brings tears even to my eyes!!! laughter that is!
Old Apr 9th 2006, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by millymog
Where can you find that in another country lol
Nowhere I hope

It's like a battery farm
Old Apr 9th 2006, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
Milly did your friend not give you some indication of what it was like before you went out? It seems such a shame to have gone all that way and spent all that money to really dislike it. Did you not even enjoy it as a holiday?

jackie
She said she loves it and she is happy there but when I went out, i dont think she is 100%. But its basically, made your bed better lie in it situation i think.

Yes it was alot of money but worth seeing her.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.