Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How can you watch UK TV on your computer for Free in Australia?

How can you watch UK TV on your computer for Free in Australia?

Old Feb 4th 2012, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How can you watch UK TV on your computer for Free in Australia?

Originally Posted by DadAgain
If you have to 'deal with' your ISP you are doing it wrong! TPG direct debit the correct amount from my account every month, and I have had good fast Internet for all but about 4 days of the last decade (small issue of a construction worker putting a backhoe through the phone line). Changes to my plan can be made via website....

Who needs customer service gimps?
Spot on

People new to the net do though. So TPG shouldn't be anyone's first ISP

Old Feb 5th 2012, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

timmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud of

didnt read the full thread so I dunno if anyone has mentioned this website

TVcatchup.com, Ive got it on my iphone so I can watch telly in my bedroom, brilliant site
Old Feb 5th 2012, 8:40 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

.another groovy tool:

"AirVideo"

Run the free to download server on your media server (assuming all you good people have some sort of computer on your network thats sitting there doing all this downloading) and it'll convert and stream (on the fly) anything you've got over your network to be played on an iPad (using the very cheap app).

Awesome app.....
Old Feb 5th 2012, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
.another groovy tool:

"AirVideo"

Run the free to download server on your media server (assuming all you good people have some sort of computer on your network thats sitting there doing all this downloading) and it'll convert and stream (on the fly) anything you've got over your network to be played on an iPad (using the very cheap app).

Awesome app.....
I use PS3 Media server at present on my non XBMC devices.. runs on most DLNA devices and is flawless. Better than Servio.

http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/
Old Feb 6th 2012, 10:07 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, BTjunkie have shut themselves down. I've been using them for years.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 10:24 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by timmerman
didnt read the full thread so I dunno if anyone has mentioned this website

TVcatchup.com, Ive got it on my iphone so I can watch telly in my bedroom, brilliant site

Old Feb 6th 2012, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

desperately is just really nicedesperately is just really nicedesperately is just really nicedesperately is just really nicedesperately is just really nicedesperately is just really nicedesperately is just really nicedesperately is just really nice

You need to hide your IP address eg using hidemyass, then use their search to find catchuptv.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by litepurple
This solution seems really good as I have multiple devices and I can change this on the router. For the xbox, do you need to get your AU xbox live gold account migrated to a US account so that you can access Netflix? Every time I sign in with my AU XL Gold account, the options for Netflix disappear. I guess I'm answering my own question!

LP
MS dont migrate accounts. its a pain in the arse. I'm stuck on a UK account over here and cant change. Their solution is to create a new account and start from scratch again. The migrate account option on their website only covers a tiny range of countries. The main problem is that you have to buy MS points and XBL subs online from overseas retailers. However places like maximus cards (online) help.

Anyway, what I did is as follows:
create US (or UK now) account.
Sign in and download the netflix app
sign out and sign in using your AU account
go to the new Apps tab and view apps. It shows them all, including the netflix app. Once its on your machine it seems to be viewable by all users.

Originally Posted by renth
Hi, Do you set your DNS IP addresses on your router? and if so does this service slow your connection down in any way, on other devices?
you can do yes, but i have just changed the DNS settings on my xbox and playstation directly. It has had no perceivable effect on speeds at all. it can stream HD content from the states on xbox, so even if it has, its still pretty bloody good. browsing on the mac/tablet/iphone is still the same.
It doesn't affect game matchmaking either. MP seems as fluid as it can be in Australia, certainly no worse than before.

I might try configuring the router and seeing if that changes much.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 12:37 am
Just Joined

petercgee is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in Townsville QLD where it is taking time to catch up on things.
Can I access this also in that area.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 1:05 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by In Exile
you can do yes, but i have just changed the DNS settings on my xbox and playstation directly. It has had no perceivable effect on speeds at all. it can stream HD content from the states on xbox, so even if it has, its still pretty bloody good. browsing on the mac/tablet/iphone is still the same.
It doesn't affect game matchmaking either. MP seems as fluid as it can be in Australia, certainly no worse than before.

I might try configuring the router and seeing if that changes much.
I tried that over the weekend with a Unblockus IP address - http://www.unblock-us.com/

It worked well at first then Hulu appears to have recognised it as a dodgy IP and blocked it. I might try again this weekend.

Hide my Ass is proving too slow for me so I'm going to give these guys a go: https://www.vpnsecure.me/

I've also ordered a new router - http://www.netgear.com.au/home/produ.../wndr3800.aspx

To give me Wireless n. This router also has a "video mode" where in effect you can set up a separate 5Ghz wireless network just for video i.e. from the network to my wireless Netgear media player. Apparenly it works well, I'll have to wait and see.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

TakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
1Gb in 6 seconds ...
Your maths is a little wonky - the ISPs all give speeds in bits/s (small b), all downloads and uploads are in bytes (big Bs) - so it's actually 48 seconds

Still would be nice though ...
Old Feb 8th 2012, 11:16 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TakenThePlunge
Your maths is a little wonky - the ISPs all give speeds in bits/s (small b), all downloads and uploads are in bytes (big Bs) - so it's actually 48 seconds

Still would be nice though ...
No maths, just what the guy said.

He Also said...

"And to answer your question about actual download speed I've hit speeds up to 95MB/s....that's megabytes, not megabits.

After that it seems that it's pretty much the hdd that is the bottle neck"

Last edited by PaulandNic; Feb 8th 2012 at 11:20 am.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of

Hi Guys

I originally started this thread yonks ago. Alas with 2GBs a month that was shaped to snail speed after 4 days I had to give up.

The good news is that we now have 200GBs per month, so I'll re-read all the replies, get started and let you know how I get on
Old Apr 16th 2012, 5:20 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jacknscoob
Hi Guys

I originally started this thread yonks ago. Alas with 2GBs a month that was shaped to snail speed after 4 days I had to give up.

The good news is that we now have 200GBs per month, so I'll re-read all the replies, get started and let you know how I get on
My iinet cap is now 400Gb with no on/off-peak (shaped is 512k now as well, so not too bad). Even I, as a download fiend, struggle to use that in a month!
Old Apr 16th 2012, 5:33 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
My iinet cap is now 400Gb with no on/off-peak (shaped is 512k now as well, so not too bad). Even I, as a download fiend, struggle to use that in a month!
Damn you sensible people, I am still with BigPond ... I know it's expensive but it's reliable and I'm loath to change.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.