Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Housing bubble in Australia

Housing bubble in Australia

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing bubble in Australia

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It's because people keep posting into it ...

I think it is a very enjoyable thread I will NOT let it die.... Bubble or No Bubble ...
You mean you keep posting into it LOL
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
It's down to supply and demand alright, but not for houses but the supply and demand of cheap credit. When the supply cheap credit runs out then house prices will drop.

Edited to add... Just like all bubbles.
I think I alluded to that.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

It's because people keep posting into it ...

I think it is a very enjoyable thread I will NOT let it die.... Bubble or No Bubble ...
I know you just love researching all these statistics!
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:15 am
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

So the average person goes "Up to their eyeballs in debt" to borrow money so they can put down a 35%-40% deposit on a house ?

Why don't they just put a 10% or 20% deposit instead ?

That just doesn't make sense.
Imagine someone buying their 1st house 5 yrs ago in Sydney for $500,000 with a 10% deposit of $50,000

In 2009, they sell their house for $650,000 meaning they have $200,000 in their pocket.

They now look to buy a house in Sydney's North shore for $1,000,000 and the bank requires a deposit of 12.5% or $125,000.

Still Confused??

They have gone from a $500,000 house to a $1,000,000 house in 4 years by doing nothing. The only problem here is that they now have to furnish a mortgage of $875,000 instead of $450,000. NEARLY DOUBLE.!

You can bet that unless they are very lucky, their wages haven't doubled in that 4 years. So that is where I get my "up to their eyeballs in debt from"

Last edited by swigski; Feb 22nd 2010 at 9:33 am. Reason: a
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:20 am
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

You believe what you see.

Would you believe what someone else sees ?

Would you believe government records of sales ?

Are you prepared to say that you may not see the entire picture ?

I prefer to believe in the ABS data, and not RP Data, and, from what I have seen myself in Sydney, house prices have stayed pretty constant since 2003.
However... that is not to say that some areas haven't changed.

I do actually tend to agree with RP Data, and others, on the point that recent house price to income ratio hasnt really changed much, on average.
If I have faith in what they say, YES!

I would believe the government record of sales if they appeared to be in line with what I see property selling for!

I would be prepared to say that I MAY not see the entire picture. The big question is WOULD YOU??

You believe in whatever you like if it makes you happy.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:27 am
Banned

From the RBA figures, Dec 2004 to Dec 2009:

Owner occupied Housing lending rose by 77.9%
Investor owned housing lending rose by 49.1%

These increases are a combination of higher prices, and higher numbers of property sales ?.

Without having the actual numbers we cannot see what it actually means.

ABS figures show that average housing prices, have risen by 25% in those 5 years.

Does this mean that more people have switched from renting to buying ?

Or what does it mean ?
It means that the amount people have been lending has increased by an average 66% to buy properties whose value has increased by a quarter of their initial value over 5 years.

Last edited by swigski; Feb 22nd 2010 at 9:27 am. Reason: r
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:31 am
Banned

Congratulations.

I've been wondering for the last few hundred posts if anyone would ever consider that...
But decided to let it ride so the thread could continue...

I still believe the ABS figures though...
You make me laugh!!
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:34 am
Banned

HOUSING AFFORDABILITY HITS THE WALL !!!!!

http://www.smh.com.au/business/prope...ml?autostart=1
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:58 am
Banned

House price surge heralds a big crash!

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/pro...-1225832939381
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:30 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by swigski
House price surge heralds a big crash!

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/pro...-1225832939381
That's the one that says this isn't it:
OUTER Melbourne's surging house prices are at risk of a correction, mirroring the boom-and-bust scenario that hit Sydney's outlying suburbs between 2003 and 2005.
and this is a graph of the boom-and-bust scenario that hit Sydney's outlying suburbs... Note the drop in 2003-2005...

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:38 am
Banned

That's the one that says this isn't it:

and this is a graph of the boom-and-bust scenario that hit Sydney's outlying suburbs... Note the drop in 2003-2005...

http://images.smh.com.au/2010/02/20/...1%5D-420x0.jpg
A 12% drop for houses. Quite significant when your house is only worth $350k I think!!

A 20% drop for apartments. AGAIN, quite significant when your apartment is only worth $250k.

Last edited by swigski; Feb 22nd 2010 at 11:41 am. Reason: a
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Perthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant future

ABC news tonight showed a young girl who has been saving for 5 months! but still finds it hard to get into the house market. Wow. Life in AUS is really tough, unbelievable
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 7:18 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthine
ABC news tonight showed a young girl who has been saving for 5 months! but still finds it hard to get into the house market. Wow. Life in AUS is really tough, unbelievable
I remember when my wife and I got into our first property. We shat ourselves at the thought of the repayments and struggled to scrape the deposit together over a year for our crappy little 2 bed flat that we furnished second hand.

I've no doubt that affordability and property prices make it tough now, but would it kill some of the younger generation to wake the heck up and realise you do not move into a 3/4 bedroom home with a plasma, aircon and all nicely furnished. Buying your first property is economically a tough thing to do. Its not changed.

But the expectations have. Some people need a reality check and wake up to the fact the media representation of modern life is an advertisement, not a birth right.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:23 pm
Banned

Some info on RP Data.

Established in 1991 in Australia and New Zealand, RP Data has grown to become the largest property and analytics information business in the southern hemisphere today.

Used by thousands of corporations and consumers seeking property information, RP Data is proud to boast the Reserve Bank of Australia as one of our key customers along with many multi-national corporations, financial institutions, real estate professionals, developers, investors and more recently, the broader consumer market through our user-friendly consumer brand – myrpdata.com

Our key value to our clients lies in the delivery of vast and accurate property information and analytics.

Our Data Team continuously collects and manages property based data and imagery from over 25 disparate sources including government agencies, industry professionals, proprietary relationships as well as RP generated data. The Data Team transforms this inconsistent and complex data into relevant and actionable information and analytics to assist people make the most confident property related decisions.

RP Data spends more money collecting and converting data than any other provider in Australia. Data collection methods are increasingly more advanced and RP Data is at the forefront of these methodologies. All information from RP Data is subject to rigorous quality assurance procedures, resulting in the most reliable and comprehensive residential and commercial property data available.
Our innovative analysis and reporting tools are used by numerous industry bodies while government authorities use our very own indices in forecasting and policy making.

I really can't see any reason why ABC would not want to believe the figures provided by RP DATA after reading the above. The RBA use their statistics and also the government in their policy making but obviously this is not good enough!!
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:31 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

"INQUIRIES for 100 per cent home loans have surged 250 per cent since the Federal Government's more generous first home owners grant ceased at the end of last year."
"Unfortunately, a lot of people have lost the knack of saving money, which makes it difficult if you want to find the finance to get into the residential property market at the moment"
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/money/...-1225831762237

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.