Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Housing bubble in Australia

Housing bubble in Australia

Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing bubble in Australia

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I am not certain of anything either, but YOU are quite prepared to state that I don't expect prices to drop.
Ahh, I see, if that caused any offence or you feel I misrepresented you my appologies

I had the impression that this was your opinion and was also happy to state mine.

Last edited by freebo; Feb 18th 2010 at 9:43 am.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Median property prices are the middle price of a range of sales.

Lets take two examples:

100 houses sell at prices between $500k and $600k, half above $550k and half below $550k
The median will be $550k.

Now, lets say a bright developer builds a load of budget priced houses, to cater for the lower end demand, and sells 300 of them for $200k, but at the same time those existing houses DOUBLE in value to about $1million each.

The median will be $200k because half the houses were $220k or under and half were $200k or over.

The median has dropped from $550k to $200k whoopee the property market has crashed....

But... the other houses have doubled in price.....
In reality property prices have increased by 100%, but the median price has dropped by 60%.

Yes, this is an extreme, to highlight without a shadow of doubt the theory of the system.
Thanks, yes that makes sense, maybe a bit of a statistical anomoly (the new builds would be a small %age of the existing stock, unless the sample are was very small or specific though?).
Old Feb 18th 2010, 10:06 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by freebo
Thanks, yes that makes sense, maybe a bit of a statistical anomoly (the new builds would be a small %age of the existing stock, unless the sample are was very small or specific though?).
What we have been seeing in some areas is the new, more expensive, better quaility, houses selling, but the older cheaper ones not selling.

This has caused statistical median price rises in those areas.

If money gets tight, and more people start buying the cheaper property again, leaving the more expensive ones unsold, it will create a lower median price even with no actual price change.

Old Feb 18th 2010, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

What we have been seeing in some areas is the new, more expensive, better quaility, houses selling, but the older cheaper ones not selling.

This has caused statistical median price rises in those areas.

If money gets tight, and more people start buying the cheaper property again, leaving the more expensive ones unsold, it will create a lower median price even with no actual price change.
Wouldn't it also create downward pressure on the prices of the more expensive ones?
Old Feb 18th 2010, 11:05 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by freebo
Wouldn't it also create downward pressure on the prices of the more expensive ones?
That will depend on how many people with money, still want to live in the desirable areas.
In Sydney for example, the expensive areas still kept rising even though the West Sydney prices were dropping.

If population growth slows sufficiently, then over time it could happen, if the people with the more expensive properties decide to sell at lower prices. But there has to be a reason for them to make that decision.

Dec 2003 to Dec 2009 in Sydney
New Project Homes rose by 21.8% (Median)
Established Homes rose by 7% (Median)
Yet in Western Sydney, prices on average actually seem to have dropped, based on some actual house sale comparisons. (the same properties being sold in both those years)

Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:17 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Median property prices are the middle price of a range of sales.

Lets take two examples:

100 houses sell at prices between $500k and $600k, half above $550k and half below $550k
The median will be $550k.

Now, lets say a bright developer builds a load of budget priced houses, to cater for the lower end demand, and sells 300 of them for $200k, but at the same time those existing houses DOUBLE in value to about $1million each.

The median will be $200k because half the houses were $220k or under and half were $200k or over.

The median has dropped from $550k to $200k whoopee the property market has crashed....

But... the other houses have doubled in price.....
In reality property prices have increased by 100%, but the median price has dropped by 60%.

Yes, this is an extreme, to highlight without a shadow of doubt the theory of the system.
RPData try to avoid this by comparing 'like for like' sales. Others have similar strategies.

It's worth remembering also, the median price becomes more erratic as the number of sales drop.

Last edited by coolshadows; Feb 18th 2010 at 9:21 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:52 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by coolshadows
RPData try to avoid this by comparing 'like for like' sales. Others have similar strategies.

It's worth remembering also, the median price becomes more erratic as the number of sales drop.
I would like to know how RP Data do that at the moment.
A quote from their website says: “At present no hedonic price indexes are regularly produced for Australia, a void which RP Data-Rismark aims to fill."

It appears they are aiming to do so in the future, which will be good.

You are right about numbers of sales causing erratic figures, look at these published median prices for Ormiston near me.
$595,000 Jul-09
$600,000 Aug-09
$452,500 Sep-09
$720,000 Oct-09

$612,500 Nov-09
$602,500 Dec-09
$543,000 Jan-10
This information has been obtained by RP Data

PS: Those RP Data figures confirm the housing bubble has burst, down from 720k to 543k, a 25% drop in 3 months

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Feb 18th 2010 at 9:54 pm.

Old Feb 18th 2010, 10:04 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to know how RP Data do that at the moment.
I don't think it is possible to generate indexes of like-for-like sales with property.....simply because when a person buys a house and moves in, more often than not they will make improvements. The improvements might be tiny, or they might be large scale renovations.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 10:08 pm
ABCDiamond

Obviously those medians were the monthly figures, based on just each months sales.

When they average it out over time, the differences become much less, so as an example I looked at the same suburb for the annual figures, which would lessen the spikes, and RP Data produced this:
2004 $430,000
2005 $506,250
2006 $440,000
2007 $502,550
I have highlighted those years to emphasise the 'accuracy' of RP Data published median values, even over a longer time spread.

Both sets of figures that I have shown are publicly available on realestate.com.au for the guidance of property buyers.

Old Feb 18th 2010, 10:30 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by asprilla
I don't think it is possible to generate indexes of like-for-like sales with property.....simply because when a person buys a house and moves in, more often than not they will make improvements. The improvements might be tiny, or they might be large scale renovations.
I agree, even with exact properties, it can be very difficult to come up with any sensible figures.

In have been tracking property in my area, where the same houses have been sold more than once recently, and I have 4 examples here:
Property 1 Increased by $77,100 after 17 months (17.77%) or about 12.62% per year
$511,000 1/08/2009 Property 1
$433,900 12/03/2008 Property 1

Property 2 Increased by $20,000 after 15 months (4.71%) or about 3.75% per year
$445,000 12/05/2009 Property 2
$425,000 15/02/2008

Property 3 Increased by $10,000 after 20 months (2.27%) or about 1.37% per year
$450,000 30/09/2009 Property 3
$440,000 12/02/2008 Property 3
(This property is known to me and has had no changes made)

Property 4 DECREASED by $150,000 after 13 months (-19.11%) or about -17.03% per year
$635,000 23/03/2009 Property 4
$785,000 13/02/2008 Property 4

Old Feb 18th 2010, 10:36 pm
ABCDiamond

And people are putting their faith in these published median figures....

Old Feb 18th 2010, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, even with exact properties, it can be very difficult to come up with any sensible figures.

In have been tracking property in my area, where the same houses have been sold more than once recently, and I have 4 examples here:
Property 1 Increased by $77,100 after 17 months (17.77%) or about 12.62% per year
$511,000 1/08/2009 Property 1
$433,900 12/03/2008 Property 1

Property 2 Increased by $20,000 after 15 months (4.71%) or about 3.75% per year
$445,000 12/05/2009 Property 2
$425,000 15/02/2008

Property 3 Increased by $10,000 after 20 months (2.27%) or about 1.37% per year
$450,000 30/09/2009 Property 3
$440,000 12/02/2008 Property 3
(This property is known to me and has had no changes made)

Property 4 DECREASED by $150,000 after 13 months (-19.11%) or about -17.03% per year
$635,000 23/03/2009 Property 4
$785,000 13/02/2008 Property 4
Dont you play golf ? or swim?
Old Feb 18th 2010, 11:09 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by eugene43
Dont you play golf ? or swim?
No, I do websites for fun....

I could jump in the pool if I wanted to right now, but I am trying to fix a web coding error which is much more interesting to me..... (It takes all sorts to make a world)

Old Feb 18th 2010, 11:13 pm
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

And people are putting their faith in these published median figures....
Wee have both used a lot of these 'median' figures in different scenarios to both try and represent different things.

Median property price in Sydney according to RpData is $510000.

What does this include?

Does this range from 1 bedroom units to 5 bedroom houses. I would say the average family are looking at a 3 bedroom house. In that case, you would have to say that the median price for a 3 bed house in Sydney is higher than the quoted $510,000?
Old Feb 19th 2010, 1:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by swigski
Wee have both used a lot of these 'median' figures in different scenarios to both try and represent different things.

Median property price in Sydney according to RpData is $510000.

What does this include?

Does this range from 1 bedroom units to 5 bedroom houses. I would say the average family are looking at a 3 bedroom house. In that case, you would have to say that the median price for a 3 bed house in Sydney is higher than the quoted $510,000?
I prefer the ABS figures. But then, they show lower values, which ties in with my personal experiences.

I was just looking for something, but found this, and thought I should share it
Not touched or amended by me
http://www.homepriceguide.com.au/Pro...ctID=2&source=

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.