Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

High Court rules Australia must take asylum seekers

High Court rules Australia must take asylum seekers

Old Mar 24th 2005, 4:40 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: High Court rules Australia must take asylum seekers

Originally Posted by jc_hoops
Backed up your arguements ? How, all you have done is spout out figures gained from the WWW, I live over here and speak from experience.....
Nobody's ever going to take you seriously in a debate if all you can do is go "there's a lot of 'em about" and be obnoxious to people who take the trouble to find and post credible statistics that don't happen to fit your personal preconceptions.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

I see the Government have let in another 200 asylum seekers on the basis that they will return to their own country when it 'becomes feasible'.

I am sure 'becomes feasible' is a phrase that legally aided lawyers will argue about for many years costing millions of dollars to the Australian Taxpayer.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 10:12 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NedKelly
I see the Government have let in another 200 asylum seekers on the basis that they will return to their own country when it 'becomes feasible'.

I am sure 'becomes feasible' is a phrase that legally aided lawyers will argue about for many years costing millions of dollars to the Australian Taxpayer.
It is cheaper to let them in the community and work than detain them on Nauru. Sorry to dazzle you with facts again.

http://www.nauruwire.org/countries/Nauru/visa.htm

However, an indicative allocation, taking into account likely outcomes for 2003-04, would be around $18m for Christmas Island, $3m for Manus Island, $36m for Nauru and $1.5m in indirect costs.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 10:16 pm

Backed up your arguements ? How, all you have done is spout out figures gained from the WWW, I live over here and speak from experience.....

Sludger....I've have seen a thread on the "Rivals" about you....

I have a mate in Melbourne who has a UR's number plate, and apprently there is one in Brissy as well.
Reliable figures from the UNHCR the www is irrelevant. What are you overwhelmed by in your experience. I was in Shephards Bush the other week and had no feeling of being overwhelmed by any group. A brief experience but from what has been posted around one could expect to be overwhelmed by immigrants in London. Not it my experience nor in that of my friends who live around London.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
It is cheaper to let them in the community and work than detain them on Nauru. Sorry to dazzle you with facts again.

http://www.nauruwire.org/countries/Nauru/visa.htm

However, an indicative allocation, taking into account likely outcomes for 2003-04, would be around $18m for Christmas Island, $3m for Manus Island, $36m for Nauru and $1.5m in indirect costs.
You missed the point. The point is the government have come up with visa which has an ambiguous basis for ending it i.e 'becomes feasible to return'. Lawyers will find ways of arguing that point and feeding of the system until the cows come home.

Regardless of the costs, what price do you pay to preserve your society and it's values?
Old Mar 25th 2005, 1:00 am

You missed the point. The point is the government have come up with visa which has an ambiguous basis for ending it i.e 'becomes feasible to return'. Lawyers will find ways of arguing that point and feeding of the system until the cows come home.

Regardless of the costs, what price do you pay to preserve your society and it's values?
Australia has never stood still in its makeup. Thankfully this place is very different to when Australia was overwhelmingly Anglo Celtic. I believe 110,000 is current the planned migrant intake.

I think most governments would like a system that is unanswerable but luckily we live in a democracy with an independant judicial system. I'd rather have a few greedy lawyers than do away with that. JAJ who is works in the "industry" would have a more informed opinion.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 5:50 am
Badge

I applaud some of the contributions of BP and Jayr to dismiss Daily Mail hysteria, nonetheless;I go for the pragmatic approach, if a country that has observed Christmas for 2000 years cannot hold Nativity plays then something is wrong, make no mistake. No amount of politics, do-gooding, or some of the other considered or not so considered discussions here make any differance.

Sometimes I have to wonder about Muslim teachings. On one side they are very proud and non-wavering - on the other hand I doubt the integrity and strength of a religion that is so touchy about erosion. Can a Muslim community at a school really dictate that Nativity plays be cancelled? In a multi-cultural school, you'd expect to have both. At the risk of sounding facetious, it is a fact that visitors to strict Muslim countries cannot observe their lifestyle or religion. There really is a double standard, anyone can see that. And it does cause resentment and ignorance. In any case, Muslim teaching is the same as Christian teaching, they have more books tacked on to the end - if my Muslim relation tells me right.

The issue just needs a bit of pragmatism.

Badge

Old Mar 29th 2005, 8:08 am
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all

Reliable figures from the UNHCR the www is irrelevant. What are you overwhelmed by in your experience. I was in Shephards Bush the other week and had no feeling of being overwhelmed by any group. A brief experience but from what has been posted around one could expect to be overwhelmed by immigrants in London. Not it my experience nor in that of my friends who live around London.

The other week ? Wow that's a long time to have an understanding of being "overwhelmed"...

Your friends in London, what nice suburb do they live in and how many kids ?

Like I said before, you don't live here, so have no understanding of what I'm saying, your just happy to print figures gained on websites that clam to be reliable. You see, I don't know no one working for UNHCR living on my estate, or come to think of it, there children going to my children school, so how do you define "reliable" ?

Most of figures gained for UNCHR, and similar types of groups all seem to come from similar back grounds, either "left of centre" political groups or Government Departments, and both seem to have there own agenda for stretching the truth.

I've no problem with you having your own opinion, but I do live here, and know of the issues that affect my life "first hand", not have friends that "live there" or been there for a week last year, sorry, but I find that very condescending.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 8:15 am
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all

Originally Posted by elfman
Nobody's ever going to take you seriously in a debate if all you can do is go "there's a lot of 'em about" and be obnoxious to people who take the trouble to find and post credible statistics that don't happen to fit your personal preconceptions.

Whats wrong with "theres a lot of them"....are we not allowed to tell the truth ?

As for your personal perceptions comment, I would argue that the "boot is on the other foot" regarding that statement !
Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:39 am

The other week ? Wow that's a long time to have an understanding of being "overwhelmed"...

Your friends in London, what nice suburb do they live in and how many kids ?

Like I said before, you don't live here, so have no understanding of what I'm saying, your just happy to print figures gained on websites that clam to be reliable. You see, I don't know no one working for UNHCR living on my estate, or come to think of it, there children going to my children school, so how do you define "reliable" ?

Most of figures gained for UNCHR, and similar types of groups all seem to come from similar back grounds, either "left of centre" political groups or Government Departments, and both seem to have there own agenda for stretching the truth.

I've no problem with you having your own opinion, but I do live here, and know of the issues that affect my life "first hand", not have friends that "live there" or been there for a week last year, sorry, but I find that very condescending.
UNHCR handles the misery these people go through. Something you seem to know nothing about but you just deal in raw emotions whipped up by idiotic right wing tabloids.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:45 am
Banned

UNHCR handles the misery these people go through. Something you seem to know nothing about but you just deal in raw emotions whipped up by idiotic right wing tabloids.
No, just issues that affect me and where I live......
Old Mar 29th 2005, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

The UNHCR does not handle the "refugees" (Mainly single men in their 20's) who travel across 5 to 10 safe countries, camp out near Calais, and hide away in the backs of lorries and trains to get into soft touch UK.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 7:58 pm

No, just issues that affect me and where I live......
But all you have used is words like "lots of them" "overwhelmed" etc. That is neither an experience, a fact and it means jack all.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 8:01 pm

The UNHCR does not handle the "refugees" (Mainly single men in their 20's) who travel across 5 to 10 safe countries, camp out near Calais, and hide away in the backs of lorries and trains to get into soft touch UK.
The UNHCR handles refugees who are fleeing the same conflicts the people you mention above. There are other countries that proportionally to population and income that take in more assylum seekers.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

The UNHCR handles refugees who are fleeing the same conflicts the people you mention above. There are other countries that proportionally to population and income that take in more assylum seekers.
You are seriously mixing up asylum seekers and economic refugees. So what if some countries take proportionally more than others.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.