Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Heading to Canberra?......

Heading to Canberra?......

Old May 2nd 2007, 7:46 am
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heading to Canberra?......

Originally Posted by bencoles
We were tempted to consider moving into a semi-rural area. The countryside around Canberra is lovely - particularly after some rain. There are lots of nice houses on multi-acre blocks. Good areas are Murumbateman and, in the direction of Lake George, Macs Reef Road and Bungendore Road. We had friends who lived on Macs Reef Road about 3 minutes to the Federal Highway and it only took them 10-15 minutes to get into Dickson for shoping and maybe another 10-15 minutes to get into Civic. Most people have horses and there are some really nice houses. You can also drive to the coast in about 1 hour 45 minutes from there and to the centre of Sydney in about 2.5 hours.
Thanks for the info on semi-rural - a couple of acre block would be my dream!

Originally Posted by sasbear
Sutton is just over the border - we have family with property out there - can be a bit pricey but then again it depends on what you are looking for.
Thanks Sas - i have added Sutton to my search list.
had a quick look at house prices online and i can see what you mean about a bit pricey - still worth considering though

Originally Posted by Vicky88
For me nothing beats the inner burbs. Larger blocks, development trees in the street, public transport is a bit easier, life seems more relaxed with more long term residents. If you want to spend $500k take a look at Ainslie, Dicksons, Hackett has some interesting buildings. However for that price expect a renovators delight.
I do think that the inner burbs look lovely - but in general they are way over our budget (as part of our new life we are trying to minimise our debt so dont want to end up with a big mortgage). Mind you i have been keeping an eye on property prices online and i have seen the occasional cheaper house come up (we are not afraid of a bit of work!) so i am not discounting any area on price.

Just wish i could get across in person and have a proper look around!

Adele
Old May 2nd 2007, 7:53 am
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killamarsh
Thank you so much for the input. This is more info than I have rcd in the whole time I have been using this forum.
I agree - the info has been excellent - thanks to all Canberrians for your help.
Karma all round!

Adele

EDIT: I think i sent K to you all - if i missed anyone let me know!!!

Last edited by Tiggs+Graz; May 2nd 2007 at 7:57 am.
Old May 2nd 2007, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Wade Wrench is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by googy
Legally, there is a big difference between buying land in ACT (Canberra) and NSW. In NSW (& other states), you "buy" your land thus you can own it and do what you want with it (subject to the local planning laws etc). In ACT, you get a 99 year lease from the Govt, thus at the end of the 99 years the govt can technically take it back from you. It is a big issue here recently in Canberra, as you will be aware that ACT was settled approx 96 years ago (or around that mark), thus alot of leases are coming up for renewal in the next few years. There was talk a few yrs ago of going like NSW but nothing happened. I think from what I have read the government will offer the people the lease again for another 99 years. I think they will get it for "free" or pay a token amount of $1.00.

However, in reality this system means "nothing" to most normal people. if you asked the average "joe" on the street they problery wouldn't even know. It doesn't really effect anything in the day to day running of the property.

I have found some info that u may like

http://www.actpla.act.gov.au/__data/...3Leasehold.pdf

It explains the lot...

Cheers

Casey
Canberra, Aust.
Thanks Casey for researching this. I got a reply from the ACT SMU and they said there is a fee of A$200 to renew the lease, but as you said it has no bearing on property prices whatsoever.
Old May 5th 2007, 10:00 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

I appreciate this sounds like ' well I read it in The Sun so it is true', but, I read on the Canberra Times headlines today that Canberra gets treated 'poo' water - is this true? I hear it's actually cleaner than the normal stuff that we all receive, but hey who knows.
Old May 6th 2007, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

googy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the rough

I appreciate this sounds like ' well I read it in The Sun so it is true', but, I read on the Canberra Times headlines today that Canberra gets treated 'poo' water - is this true? I hear it's actually cleaner than the normal stuff that we all receive, but hey who knows.
There is a chance that Canberra will be drinking 'poo' water - recycled to Australian standards. All regions in Australia are having to deal with this problem - Australia is running out of fresh water! Some states like WA are using recycled sea water, although this option is a little hard to do in Canberra :-)
Old May 6th 2007, 7:28 am
sneaking a peek ...

The uk has been recycling water for years - so you are already drinking it!

Adele
Old May 7th 2007, 3:17 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

And you know I always wanted to be totally organic;...
Old May 7th 2007, 6:14 pm
sneaking a peek ...

And you know I always wanted to be totally organic;...
i wonder why the work 'organic' always makes people think of poo?!

quick questions on maps of Canberra and ACT

i can find a tourist map of canberra city but cant find anything like an area map for canberra and ACT - does anyone know of one?
i am looking for something with roads/towns/main landscape features. preferably fold out so i can get open it over the floor and get a birds eye view!

my fil is a map salesman so he can get me just about any map i need but i need to be able to give him the publisher/map code.

Ta
Adele
Old May 7th 2007, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
i wonder why the work 'organic' always makes people think of poo?!

quick questions on maps of Canberra and ACT

i can find a tourist map of canberra city but cant find anything like an area map for canberra and ACT - does anyone know of one?
i am looking for something with roads/towns/main landscape features. preferably fold out so i can get open it over the floor and get a birds eye view!

my fil is a map salesman so he can get me just about any map i need but i need to be able to give him the publisher/map code.

Ta
Adele

I will look when I get home. I have one pinned to the back of the door in spare room (Tom's room - now spare room )
Old May 8th 2007, 12:27 pm
sneaking a peek ...

I will look when I get home. I have one pinned to the back of the door in spare room (Tom's room - now spare room )
Thanks that would be great.

Has Tom gone back now? i know he had decided to go.
My 16 year old is currently planning on coming with us but i have always said that it was his choice and there is still a chance he still might decide to stay over here with his Dad. Cant really describe the feeling i get when i think he might not come.

Sending sympathetic (((hugs)))

Adele
Old May 8th 2007, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
Thanks that would be great.

Has Tom gone back now? i know he had decided to go.
My 16 year old is currently planning on coming with us but i have always said that it was his choice and there is still a chance he still might decide to stay over here with his Dad. Cant really describe the feeling i get when i think he might not come.

Sending sympathetic (((hugs)))

Adele
Adele,

You don't have to describe the 'feeling' I left my 14 year old with her dad - that was almlost 3 years ago.

Tom went back on the 11th April - it is his 20th birthday this Sunday - the first birthday I haven't spent with him since giving birth sad day.

Jade (16 almost 17) is here with us and came out at 14 - settled. Loads of mates here and wouldn't go back to UK to live.

Forgot to check the map - will put reminder on my phone now.... I have a terrible memory.

Sarah

PS Hope your son makes a good choice - at least to come and try it for a year.
Old May 9th 2007, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Here is a link....

http://www.themapshop.com.au/site/in...&brand_id=1041
Old May 10th 2007, 12:41 pm
sneaking a peek ...

thanks for that! tried to send you k but need to spread!

Adele,

You don't have to describe the 'feeling' I left my 14 year old with her dad - that was almlost 3 years ago.

Tom went back on the 11th April - it is his 20th birthday this Sunday - the first birthday I haven't spent with him since giving birth sad day.

Jade (16 almost 17) is here with us and came out at 14 - settled. Loads of mates here and wouldn't go back to UK to live.

Forgot to check the map - will put reminder on my phone now.... I have a terrible memory.

Sarah

PS Hope your son makes a good choice - at least to come and try it for a year.
I knew you would understand the 'feeling'!
Andrew is currently planning on looking for a uni course once we get across so he should be fairly settled for a few years (that is what i am hoping anyway!)

Adele

Last edited by Tiggs+Graz; May 10th 2007 at 12:49 pm.