Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Had Accident but doesn't want to pay

Had Accident but doesn't want to pay

Old Mar 29th 2018, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

KenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really nice
Default Had Accident but doesn't want to pay

Hi..
2 days ago i had an accident..
Someone hit my car from behind..
He said he was distracted and it's his fault..

I got a photo of his driving license and his number..

He is insured but his excess is a bit high and seems he doesn't want to pay that

Now he is not answering my calls!!

What can i do in that case?!
Old Mar 29th 2018, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Had Accident but doesn't want to pay

Send a couple of heavies to his place. It usually works wonders!
Old Mar 29th 2018, 11:02 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KenA
Hi..
2 days ago i had an accident..
Someone hit my car from behind..
He said he was distracted and it's his fault..

I got a photo of his driving license and his number..

He is insured but his excess is a bit high and seems he doesn't want to pay that

Now he is not answering my calls!!

What can i do in that case?!
Contact your insurance company who will take care of it.
Old Mar 29th 2018, 11:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Contact your insurance company who will take care of it.
Agree. That's what you pay your insurance company to do.
Old Mar 30th 2018, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yup. Your insurer will sort you out and claim back from their insurer.
If the damage is minor and the guy who hit you would rather just pay for the repair without involving the insurers that can work too, but get him to cough up estimated repair amount before you are out of pocket.
Old Apr 1st 2018, 10:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand why you are trying to contact him. It's not your job. You have his details, you pass them on to your insurers and let them do what you pay them silly money for.
Old Apr 1st 2018, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

KenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really nice

I called the insurance company..
They told me if I make a claim it will raise my premium even though it's someone else's fault!

That's why I chase him myself
Old Apr 6th 2018, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

john_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to behold

Sorry, but chances are that now you have contacted your insurance company and made them aware you were involved in an accident your premium will likely increase regardless.
Old Apr 6th 2018, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Not your problem if his excess is high for him.

Why are you paying for insurance if you are not going to use it?

Let's say they increase your premium $50 a month, or $600 per year. How much to repair the car?

This all seems extraordinarily penny-wise and pound foolish, unless something dodgy is going on that you think the insurance company (or others) can't know about.

Even if everything is legit, the risk of doing a side-deal like this seems enormous and the exposure all on you, compared to the minimal upside. If there is any upside at all.
Old Apr 6th 2018, 2:06 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Not your problem if his excess is high for him.

Why are you paying for insurance if you are not going to use it?

Let's say they increase your premium $50 a month, or $600 per year. How much to repair the car?

This all seems extraordinarily penny-wise and pound foolish, unless something dodgy is going on that you think the insurance company (or others) can't know about.

Even if everything is legit, the risk of doing a side-deal like this seems enormous and the exposure all on you, compared to the minimal upside. If there is any upside at all.
also, if you are found not too have informed them of the incident then it could lead to your insurance being invalidated should you have another claim, you should inform them of any incidents even if you are NOT going to be making a claim.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 4:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KenA
I called the insurance company..
They told me if I make a claim it will raise my premium even though it's someone else's fault!

That's why I chase him myself

You chasing him, means that he thinks he is off the hook, as there is no way he thinks you can personally recover the money. However the insurance company chasing him means court cases eventually, or they write it off and still pay you out.. Depends on how likely they are to get their money back. They do credit checks first before they start legal proceedings on the guilty party. If he owns his own house or has a mortgage, they'll go after him.

The last thing you should be doing is chasing him personally. It really does mean he thinks he has got away with it.

As for the insurance premium increase, not sure why you would worry about that. Unless you've got super expensive insurance because it should at worse only make a very slight difference. Unless you're new to the insurer or have history.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys
I ended informing insurance company and they scheduled my car for repair

Not sure if the guy paid or not, It doesnt matter for me as long as my car get repaired.

Thanks all again