Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Great offer from Melbourne, but... great enough..?

Great offer from Melbourne, but... great enough..?

Old Apr 30th 2012, 8:40 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great offer from Melbourne, but... great enough..?

Originally Posted by Trailing_Hubby
Shame the booze is so expensive. I love my wine, and it seems silly that you can buy Australian wine cheaper in Sainsburys... Not like France where they keep the best stuff back and sell it cheaply in the local supermarket. Mrs TH found bottle shops hilarious, although I guess it's much the same as the States.

There is plenty of decent wine to be had here at very good prices - French champagne is about the same price as the UK. Beer tends to be more expensive, although some imported brands are about the same. Spirits can also be expensive, although I only buy at duty free when travelling.
Old May 1st 2012, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Trailing_Hubby will become famous soon enough

It's been remiss of me to thank everyone for their replies and advice. Buzzy--Bee - your thread on choosing Melbourne was particularly interesting. Cheers all anyway. We are off to Switzerland on a recce in a couple of weeks...
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Well, here's an update for all the the people that must have been on tenterhooks wondering what happened...

After a long and laborious process we are at the point where we will be going to Switzerland. Mrs TH got a great package so it's a no-brainer really. It's close (and cheap) enough that we will get people visiting and we can nip back and forth no problem.

It would have been great to have gone to Melbourne, and had they offered the same we may have accepted it. Certainly no regrets though, and it's been fun reading through the posts on here. It's definitely an invaluable resource, so thanks once again to everyone who took the time to reply.

So, all I have to do now is find a job. And learn a new language. And find a flat. And pack everything...
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 12:27 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trailing_Hubby
So, all I have to do now is find a job. And learn a new language. And find a flat. And pack everything...
Good luck.

For what it's worth, I think you made the right decision. Melbourne and Switzerland are both great (but very different) places to live.

But ultimately for most of us, income is a very important factor in determining our lifestyles.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Thanks!
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Timmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really nice

Good luck and congrats! I live in Sydney but having been to Melb a few times, i can see myself living there as its a great city with a good vibe
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of sounding flippant myself and not giving this due consideration, I would say just go for it. You're over thinking it! You've nothing to lose and all sorts of experiences to gain. A job could come up in Europe again, but that's for the future to tell. Stop dillydalling and just go for it whilst you can!!