Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

is the grass really greener?

is the grass really greener?

Old Feb 27th 2007, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is the grass really greener?

Originally Posted by Hutch
Excessive nitrogeon based fertiliser usage mate.

I'd try that on my grass, but I haven't got any

My tree is bigger here though
Old Feb 27th 2007, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

no I haven't lived there, my husband has though.

I have lived 45 years in Australia though and I believe we are talking to the OP about Australia not bashing my dreams today thanks!

Last edited by Teabag; Feb 27th 2007 at 11:29 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 11:45 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teabag
no I haven't lived there, my husband has though.

I have lived 45 years in Australia though and I believe we are talking to the OP about Australia not bashing my dreams today thanks!
Yea - you're right. The OP asked whether the grass was greener in Oz and you replied, despite the fact that you've got no frame of reference to base it on.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

she asked why I want to leave, I answered. Nothing to do with you - let's send another thread down the toilet because someone's not allowed a different opinion

Maybe I shouldn't go to the UK if this is the type of mentality the english have, I thought it was just Australian's that didn't allow you to be a bit 'different'.

Last edited by Teabag; Feb 27th 2007 at 11:53 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 11:52 pm
Oz here we are!!!

JoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really nice

It's a very difficult question to answer because people seem to react so differently to emigration (can only speak for Perth as that's where we are):

Some people hate Perth, some adore it (me included)
Some think it's boring, some can't believe how you could ever get bored here
Some can't find good pubs, some see one on every corner
Some hate the weather, some love it
Some think Aussies are obnoxious, some think they are very friendly and down to earth
Some hate the flies, some think the flies are a minor irritation when taken in context of gorgeous sunny weather (plus they are seasonal)
Some think the shops suck, some think the amount of choice in the UK was ridiculous
Some think the school system is crap, some think it is marvelous
Some are so crippled by homesickness they can't function, some hardly give the UK a second thought

I could go on but you get my drift, it really is a suck it and see type of thing. However, if you are the sort of person who lives very close to good friends and family, and you are generally happy with your life in the UK you may struggle with homesickness. Also, the cost of living is not cheaper out here and the wages are lower so don't expect to come and be substantially better off.

On a positive note, my hubby also works in IT and found a good, well paid job within two months. I work in admin and found a good, well paid job within a week! Can't help you re information on schools as I don't have any kids (yet)!

Good luck in whatever you decide, personally I adore it here and could never imagine going back to the UK.

Jo.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 11:55 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

she asked why I want to leave, I answered. Nothing to do with you - let's send another thread down the toilet because someone's not allowed a different opinion
No need to get all defensive (that the Aussie in you coming out ). Just pointing out that you have no frame of reference. I used to get slagged off by the Plodzone peeps for doing exactly that ...
Old Feb 27th 2007, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

For us the grass is significantly greener.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hutch
No need to get all defensive (that the Aussie in you coming out ). Just pointing out that you have no frame of reference. I used to get slagged off by the Plodzone peeps for doing exactly that ...
Well I got slagged last time, so I just bit.

But really all my posts have been very open minded, I do appreciate why people want to come to Australia and I have offered advice for them, but I have my own personal dreams and want to discuss them without being biatch slapped the minute I do
Old Feb 28th 2007, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
For us the grass is significantly greener.
Oz or UK?
Old Feb 28th 2007, 12:08 am
Australia's Doorman

Having previously lived in the UK, the USA and France and currently living in Australia, I would say the grass is greener for me and my family. Though we really wish you could buy Wotsits here.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AllyKev
Hi Corinne

We are wanting to move to Oz for the same reasons as you - we dread to think what the UK will be like by the time our children start secondary school - never mind leaving school. Has your OH found a job in IT? if not does he envisage any problems as some of the threads i have read are really worrying, re: people now living in Oz but not being able to find work. I am also concerned that my OH will end up working long hours like he does here just by the nature of the IT industry, which will defeat the entire reason for going, for us to spend more time together as a family. Thanks for the info on the schools - that's what i keep hearing. I just don't want to keep moving my kids from school to school until i find a good one - as moving them to Oz away from their friends & family will be hard enough. At present with never having been to Oz - hence the trip next yr - we have no idea where we would like to settle - we keep hearing conflicting stories about each area. So it's really difficult. You have really put my mind to rest re: the flights - thanks for that - i can't imagine how you coped with an 18month old & 13wks old baby. You are brave! Have you always flown with Emirates? I presume you would recommend them?
When are you hoping to be moving? Good luck with it all - hope it works out well.
Ally
I'll second what other posters have said - if you lots of friends and family close to you etc etc, you may find the loneliness and homesickness crippling. If you as a family are more 'self-contained', then you will find it much easier. IT jobs are plentiful here [if you know your stuff]. I'm a J2EE developer and I work slightly longer hours than the UK, but my commute by car is about 20mins-40mins each day in Perth and I see MUCH more of my little girl than I did when I lived in Surrey and worked in London.

The outdoor lifestyle does count a lot when you have little ones. I can take my daughter on her bike a short distance down the road to play on the climbing frame at her school at the weekend. There's no graffiti, no empty bottles lying around, no chavs and the school doesn't lool like a fortress - and this is suburban Perth. When we lived in Surrey, I would have to drive 3 miles to get to play park that wasn't wrecked.

After being here for a year, my advise to anyone who has small children is take the jump and come to Australia. Not everything is rosy here but I think the life and opportunities that you will be able to give them will better anything that you can offer in the UK now.

The final thing that made us come here was that the age cutoff was coming up for us and we didn't want to find ourselves in our old-age bitterly regretting that we didn't take the opportunity to come here when it arose.

To use a well-worn quote; "Life is not a rehearsal".
Old Feb 28th 2007, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Oz or UK?
Definitely greener in Australia.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 1:53 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Australian's all have their heads up their arse's
All of us? Are you sure? Have you met all of us?

ZX.....
Old Feb 28th 2007, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

liver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond repute

hi sorry for what I'm about to say and if it puts you off but just stating our experience.
we moved here five months ago have two kids three and 19 months and one on teh way. We really want to go back for various reasons, ie too hot and humid, found it quite unbearable with two small ones (although we did come out in summer) . Haven't had much of this famed outdoor lifestyle as too busy hiding from the humidity in the air con or shopping malls or toddlers groups (pretty much what I'd do in the UK).. Brissie is too far from beach (and it's too hot to sit out when you go! ), hubby working just as long hours on less wages so more broke here, house prices have risen so you wont' get a pool, fab house mortgage free living really close to the city and amenites, missing rellies and just finding it dull! (you wont' beleive how much you can miss pretty english towns or even season changes) even though have met some fab people ( sorry all, ). Also our three year old won't qualify for free schooling till she's six and day care expensive (at home she had a place waiting for her free in nursery preschool)

On the other hand you may really love it and that's just our experience. We didnt come out for a holiday first and don't think it would have made much difference as wed' be in holiday mode. Living out here is very very different from a reccie or holiday!

The other bit I would advise on the flight is to try and get night flights , is get a stopover and dont do the journey all in one go. Our littlest was taken really ill on flight and luckily we had two days in singapore to recover. Really make sure they keep drinking fluids up in the air as ours didn't drink enough and got dehydrated. Also take something really warm for them to wear on the flight as it does get freezing up there and the airline blankets weren't enough!

Good luck and I hope it really works out for you. If you do decide to come out rent your house out if you can afford it (we didn't and our cursing ourselves!). Pm me if you want any more info x

Originally Posted by AllyKev
Hi everyone - i'm a newbee to the forum and have found it very informative - thankyou to all of you for sharing your experiences - it really helps those of us who are at the beginning stages.

We are still indecisive about our move to Oz and have been toying with the idea for a couple of years now. We are wondering whether the grass really is greener and whether that is why people keep ping ponging back to the UK. Why do a lot of brits only stay for a few years & then come back?

How do you decide where to settle? we are coming out for a holiday in March 2008 and are very excited but very nervous too - as we have 2 young children and the thought of that flight terrifies me! Depending on the following request will determine where we visit - so any help will be appreciated.

The main things that will help us to decide on where to settle is obviously IT work for my OH but also good schools. Is there the equivalent to OFSTED and performance tables for each school over there? If so, can anyone point me in the right direction please. I have seen info on each school but not in the way of performance etc..

Good luck to all of you who have just moved or are moving very shortly!

Allison
Old Feb 28th 2007, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
All of us? Are you sure? Have you met all of us?

ZX.....
most and I am Australian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.