Giving up on Oz

Old Jan 21st 2013, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Giving up on Oz

Originally Posted by Zen10
However detestable the Adelaide highs are, I know I wouldn't be able to make it through the humidity of Brisbane.
We had a dry high temp, dry heat day recently in Brisbane and it was terrible. I hated it. Head in an oven stuff. Couldn't breath properly on my bike...super hot wind on my face was awful and I'm not used to it. But does that really mean anything...will everyone hate Adelaide?

Would I give up some humidity and in return get hot dry days, parched environment and far more extreme winters...not on your nellie....would others...of course. Personal preference comes into it, but I think it is very debatable from the statistics that the weather in Melbourne is "much more moderate" than Brisbane.

Last edited by fish.01; Jan 21st 2013 at 7:20 am.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 8:11 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Moderate, Melbourne? I reckon it's more moderate in Brisbane overall. More pleasant days with not as extreme temperatures...
Define 'extreme'.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Define 'extreme'.
Melbourne ?

Edit: ok sorry ...it was the "not as" that was relevant really...
Old Jan 21st 2013, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

Brisbane suffers from having very poor housing, terrible insulation and a high proportion of people who think nothing of making noise into the wee hours without concern for their neighbours. I became quite obsessive about finding somewhere to rent in Brisbane where you could sleep with the windows (screened) open. I can in my house - (just) as person opposite me has his telly on his balcony for some inexplicable reason. Previous house, lived in large nice town house but noise 24/7 - rent $640 a week thanks very much! Current house (very like the doss house I lived in at Uni in 1980's Britain!) costs us 50% of hubbie's salary when I can't work, and is nothing special, although close to CBD. Decent rentals are very hard to find in Brisbane and the quality of homes here is pretty shocking

Last edited by Chortlepuss; Jan 21st 2013 at 10:42 am.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
Brisbane suffers from having very poor housing, terrible insulation and a high proportion of people who think nothing of making noise into the wee hours without concern for their neighbours. I became quite obsessive about finding somewhere to rent in Brisbane where you could sleep with the windows (screened) open. I can in my house - (just) as person opposite me has his telly on his balcony for some inexplicable reason. Previous house, lived in large nice town house but noise 24/7 - rent $640 a week thanks very much! Current house (very like the doss house I lived in at Uni in 1980's Britain!) costs us 50% of hubbie's salary when I can't work, and is nothing special, although close to CBD. Decent rentals are very hard to find in Brisbane and the quality of homes here is pretty shocking
Wow $640 for a townhouse...my last place was a 3 bedroom house within walking distance to the CBD for $520 (2 years ago). Rarely experienced your housing issues in Brisbane in 40+ years so find it hard to think it is anything but luck of the draw like anywhere but I guess we all have different experiences.

I don't have screens on my current house and I didn't even know the mossies had arrived until I read this thread. Our bedroom window has been open for months....as well as lots of other windows around the house. I guess each house and aspect makes a difference. On the bright side Brisbane house prices are more affordable (price vs salary) than Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney so it could be worse

Last edited by fish.01; Jan 21st 2013 at 11:00 am.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by blackcab
Anyone, i guess many have. Been in Oz over a year, just had enough, the heat, humidity, keep getting bit, insects in the unit, just cannot settle. Noisy neighbours, our new neighbour plays his music so we can hear it clearly, asked him to turn it down, he is 20, lives there with two mates. Just takes no notice.
No offense, but when you left the UK did you not know that Brisbane would be hot and humid, and have lots of insects?

I feel bad for you that you are having a hard time, but Brisbane maybe wasn't the best idea if you struggle with heat and humidity.

As others have said, trying a different part of a Australia is a good idea. I've just come back to the UK for a bit but when in Oz I work between Brisbane and Melbourne and the difference is huge (especially in the winter).

You are also living in a very expensive part of Brisbane hence the rent being so much of your income. Why not consider another less expensive suburb and have more spare cash?

Hope things improve for you.

Last edited by big_matt; Jan 21st 2013 at 5:42 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
That's a very interesting observtion. I've also observed that those British migrants complaining on this board tend to come from SE Queensland. Of course I have no facts nor could be bothered to look them up but just a general feeling I get.

I wonder if its a "nothing to do" or "lack of variety" or a "lack of opportunity" thing?
Lol... I thought that was Perfs title... Whingiest poms... Always used to be...

My how things are changing.....
Old Jan 21st 2013, 9:05 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne ?

Edit: ok sorry ...it was the "not as" that was relevant really...
Hmmm. Well, we might get some hot days...an average of a whole 10 per year over 35C according to the BOM. But from the OP's point of view, here's where it could be better - it generally cools down at night (mean overnight lows of 14C in Jan & Feb). I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of nights a year I lie in bed thinking...I wish we had aircon! Having lived in inadequately insulated, cooled or shaded modern units and townhouses in Brisbane (of which there are thousands) I can say that I'd count on the fingers of one hand the number of MONTHS I'd lie awake in bed at night thinking...I wish we had aircon and that that ceiling fan would stop making that f****** clicking noise!

It's always been a mystery to me that in Australia, particularly the hotter parts, that even upscale new build apartment blocks are generally built without ducted aircon and everyone is left to fend for themselves and clutter their balconies with ugly split systems.

As I have said before I don't think Brisbane has an extreme summer climate, but sleeping can be a difficult if you find yourself in the wrong environment.

Now, that's summer out of the way...let me hear about Melbourne's 'extreme' winters!

Did I mention Brisbane's 'extreme' lack of after work daylight!?
Old Jan 21st 2013, 9:10 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big_matt
the difference is huge (especially in the winter
I agree. The Adelaide winter is amazing. Days of 12 - 20, sunny much of the time, but also really good cold days when the clouds roll in from the southern ocean. Leaves fall off the trees and blow along the roads. Dark around five thirty. Best time of year and without a UK equivalent to compare it too. Never been to Brisbane but I know they they don't get all that. Also way too many English in Brisbane/SEQ for me. Adelaide has the smallest number of all the cities I think, or close.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 11:29 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blackcab
Thanks for your comments, taking the time to reply, its appreciated. I think if it gets too bad, we will break lease, our unit ain't all that bad, we should rent it easily, will only have to pay one weeks rent, and advertising fees. But i cannot have many more weeks like the last few. I will break, when you are walking around just knowing its not right, but also knowing it might be worse in the UK, and the Oz dream has vanished for good. Its our own faults, should have done two years in the five years we had our visa's, no one to blame but ourselves.
I remember the summer of 04/05 (I think). We had temps in excess of 40 degrees and humidity to boot (90%+). It was utterly horrendous. We were living in a unit in Annerley at the time and we always got on well with our neighbours. People were just hanging out in shopping centres to get out of the heat. Anyway, one weekend in the middle of the heat-wave one of our neighbours threatened another with an axe. People were going fricken crazy due to not getting enough sleep as the heat was relentless at night.

You should be aware that in the 10 years I have lived in Brisbane climate conditions like the last month have been few and far between. In fact, I would go so far as saying that I don't think it has been this bad since that summer of 04/05. So I would suggest you try and tough out this period of bad climate and you might find your outlook changes on what you deem to be unbearable. I would lay money on you looking back and thinking it wasn't as bad as you initially thought
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I agree. The Adelaide winter is amazing. Days of 12 - 20, sunny much of the time, but also really good cold days when the clouds roll in from the southern ocean. Leaves fall off the trees and blow along the roads. Dark around five thirty. Best time of year and without a UK equivalent to compare it too. Never been to Brisbane but I know they they don't get all that. Also way too many English in Brisbane/SEQ for me. Adelaide has the smallest number of all the cities I think, or close.
Sounds amazing

British: Adelaide 8.5% vs Brisbane 5.3%. (Wiki)
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders

You should be aware that in the 10 years I have lived in Brisbane climate conditions like the last month have been few and far between. In fact, I would go so far as saying that I don't think it has been this bad since that summer of 04/05. So I would suggest you try and tough out this period of bad climate and you might find your outlook changes on what you deem to be unbearable. I would lay money on you looking back and thinking it wasn't as bad as you initially thought
Would agree with you, the early 2000 years, there was a summer from hell, 02/03 I think was one as well, and it went on for months, like october to april. I am sure we got into the 40's and it was humid, not the current 50% humidity, I mean more Darwin stength.

I am no fan of summer since that year.

However for the OP, regarding bugs, brisbane has NOTHING compared to the flies of WA, Victoria, Adelaide etc.

Try walking down the street and swotting the 40 odd trying to get in your nose, mouth ears, eyes. And the other 200 on your back This isnt just in the country, Melbourne CBD was one of my worst experiences with this, Kiama NSW was another, all these lovely empty BBQ's and quite serioulsy several thousand flies appeared once food came out, we ended up running back to the car, dumped the food. Totally disgusting.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 1:58 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds amazing

British: Adelaide 8.5% vs Brisbane 5.3%. (Wiki)
I'll get back to you on that because I know it's wrong.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'll get back to you on that because I know it's wrong.
Well it is wikipedia so there is a good chance you're right

Edit: Here's the 2006 ABS figures the Adelaide wiki figures come from I think:

Adelaide:

English: 7.3%

http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/ABS...=PL&action=401

Matching Brisbane ABS stats:

English: 4.5%

http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/ABS...tversion=false

Last edited by fish.01; Jan 22nd 2013 at 2:06 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 2:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bcworld
As I have said before I don't think Brisbane has an extreme summer climate, but sleeping can be a difficult if you find yourself in the wrong environment.

Now, that's summer out of the way...let me hear about Melbourne's 'extreme' winters!

Yes I agree, sometimes it can affect sleeping... especially if you live in a crappy rental ...similar to being under heated in a dodgy Melbourne rental....my question was just in response to the comment that Melbourne is "much more moderate" when comparing the worst months from both places. If you just compared Brisbane's worst months vs Melbourne's best than yes of course but I was talking about using the figures to compare the whole year. I think it is very debatable from the BOM figures. Of course personal preference could sway you either way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.