getting credit

Old May 14th 2007, 1:43 pm
Qualify in Sept!

mattyuk will become famous soon enough
Default getting credit

Hi Guys, i hope toget a job nursing in australia in january, i have not applied yet but presume i will be on a temp visa, i just wondered if it is ossible to get credit on these?

mobile phone contract?

car on hp?

credit card?

loan?

Cheers
Matt
Old May 14th 2007, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting credit

Anz do credit cards for temp visa, and someone said Commonwealth do.
Think westpac dont!

Not sure about loans. Some of the bank websites say permanent residence only.

Id be interested to know about cars on hp? Anyone?
We are going rural so need a reliable car and heading out to WA July.

Gem
Old May 14th 2007, 2:23 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gems
Anz do credit cards for temp visa, and someone said Commonwealth do.
Think westpac dont!

Not sure about loans. Some of the bank websites say permanent residence only.

Id be interested to know about cars on hp? Anyone?
We are going rural so need a reliable car and heading out to WA July.

Gem
our friends bought on HP but they wanted a substantial deposit and would only lend the remainder over the duration of their visa.
Old May 14th 2007, 2:23 pm
Qualify in Sept!

would i be able to get a credit card straight away? do you just need ya passport and proof of employmentas id?
Old May 14th 2007, 2:26 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattyuk
would i be able to get a credit card straight away? do you just need ya passport and proof of employmentas id?
We did with ANZ but from previous posters on here it does seem to vary from bank to bank and branch to branch.
Old May 14th 2007, 2:29 pm
Qualify in Sept!

do they give you much credit?
Old May 14th 2007, 3:08 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by mattyuk
do they give you much credit?
Ours was a $10k limit to start, I think we have $20k now.
Old May 14th 2007, 3:47 pm
What am I doing??!!

naifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nice

Originally Posted by northernbird
We did with ANZ but from previous posters on here it does seem to vary from bank to bank and branch to branch.
i will be on a 457 visa.

without realising i opened an account with westpac today whilst i am still in the uk. they will not give me a credit card apparently.

do you know if ANZ will give me a card even though i will not be banking with them and if not do you know who will give a credit card if you don't bank with them?

thanks
Old May 14th 2007, 10:39 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by naifyboy
i will be on a 457 visa.

without realising i opened an account with westpac today whilst i am still in the uk. they will not give me a credit card apparently.

do you know if ANZ will give me a card even though i will not be banking with them and if not do you know who will give a credit card if you don't bank with them?

thanks
If you have your salary paid into your Westpac account they may give you a credit card when you get here. We had my husbands salary paid into our ANZ account and they gave us a credit card after about a month. I doubt any of the banks would give you a card before you were even here.
Old May 14th 2007, 11:08 pm
What am I doing??!!

naifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nice

If you have your salary paid into your Westpac account they may give you a credit card when you get here. We had my husbands salary paid into our ANZ account and they gave us a credit card after about a month. I doubt any of the banks would give you a card before you were even here.
Thanks - i am not asking for one before i get there. i WILL BE asking once i get there.
Old May 14th 2007, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Has anybody got a Mobile Phone on a monthly contract whilst on a 457? I'm on a pay as you go at the moment which is a right pain. Its like pay as you go in the UK about 5 years ago as your credit expires if you don't use it by the end of the month
Old May 14th 2007, 11:19 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by yanH
Has anybody got a Mobile Phone on a monthly contract whilst on a 457? I'm on a pay as you go at the moment which is a right pain. Its like pay as you go in the UK about 5 years ago as your credit expires if you don't use it by the end of the month
I thought the contracts were like that too, I still thought you had to use up your credit or you lost it.
Old May 14th 2007, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

I thought the contracts were like that too, I still thought you had to use up your credit or you lost it.
Cheers Northernbird. Not much point bothering in that case. Its just that being a lazy sod I thought it'd be easier to not have to top the thing up once a month
Old May 14th 2007, 11:25 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Cheers Northernbird. Not much point bothering in that case. Its just that being a lazy sod I thought it'd be easier to not have to top the thing up once a month
yeah I don't like doing it either its a pain in the neck and like you say more like 10 years behind the UK on that score.
Old May 15th 2007, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

What provider do you use?

I have vodafone. and get two months to use the credit or lose it. Or if I top up before it expires, then it's carried forward

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.