Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Forest Lake/Albany Creek (Brisbane area)

Forest Lake/Albany Creek (Brisbane area)

Old Dec 9th 2003, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

The GoodbyeGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Forest Lake/Albany Creek (Brisbane area)

Can anyone give me some more information on these areas. I would particularly like to know
- what the state primary schools are like?
- what the state high schools are like?
- commute time to the CBD (car/bus/train)?
- general idea on what the area is like i.e. low socio-economic, middle etc. I realize this is subjective, but anyone's opinion on these matters is most welcome. The areas look affordable, and someone said before that if they are "cheap" there is usually a reason, so any suggestions?

Old Dec 9th 2003, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Williem is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

We too are looking at the Albany Creek area and have found the www.ourbrisbane.com website helpful.
It could possibly answer a few of your questions.

Last edited by Williem; Dec 9th 2003 at 9:16 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:04 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

GG, this is from another thread where I mentioned Forest Lake.
Know anything about Brisbane

"for the person that asked about Forest Lake .. great in concept ie community all around a lake, great parks, walking trails etc. What they fail to tell you is that the parks & community areas make up for your lack of backyard. You will be lucky to have 1 metre from your fence either back or sides to your house & your neighbours will be the same effectively cutting out any sunshine that you may be able to get apart from an hour at midday. Your backyard will consist of a small patio with a BBQ & 4 square metres of grass. Great if you dont like cutting the lawn I guess . "

No public transport to the area, commute by car would be about 35-40 mins. Im pretty sure its got its own schools, its right next door to the worse area in Brisbane (Inala/Darra, which has asian gangs & alot of the dregs of society), so you certainly wouldnt send your kids to Inala High if you could help it! :scared: .

Oh & its in the midst of the fireant area Fireants - DPI site

Albany Creek is Northside so no fireants ( ), about the same commute distance from town (40-45 mins), I believe it has some bus services (but I could be wrong), but no train. Cant really help with the schools etc, dont know anything about them. Lots & lots of new estates in the area, whether thats a good thing is totally subjective (I personally think not).

Thats all I really know about the area, hope its of some help.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:12 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Just remembered a website someone threw out yesterday from the REIQ, it has this to say about Albany Creek & Forest Lake.

Local Government Authority - Brisbane

Location - 15 km from CBD

Features - Borders 1700 acres of State Forest

Median Price - REIQ research shows that the median house price in the suburb for the financial year 2002/03 was $255,000.

Median Weekly Rent - The median weekly rent paid for a 3-bedroom house in this area in the June 2003 quarter was $240.

Commentary - Albany Creek, about 15km from Brisbane’s CBD in Brisbane’s northwestern suburbs, has in 2001 been experiencing strong capital growth in real estate prices and sales activity.

Bordering on 1700 acres of State Forest, Albany Creek is approximately 95% single unit dwelling (houses) and 5% flats and units. It is a popular suburb for young families with many residents travelling to Brisbane City and surrounding suburbs for work during the week.

With good access to the Sandgate Beach (15km) and direct access to the Sunshine Coast and the South Pine River, there are many recreational activities for residents to enjoy.

Due to the Federal Government’s First Home Owners Grant and current low interest rates, the suburb is experiencing a shortage of land for new homes, which is expected to open up new developments in the future.

According to the 2001 Census there were 14,898 people living in the suburb with a median age of 32. The median individual income was between $400 and $499 per week. Of all occupied private dwellings 82% were either fully owned or being purchased; 13% were being rented.

Albany Creek is certainly one of those suburbs that is benefiting from the ripple effect of changing patterns in consumer demand – people buying in outer suburbs to bring up young families. The suburb also has a large and established nursing home.

Infrastructure in the suburb is good with the Brisbane City Council recently introducing regular bus services from Albany Creek to the City (a journey of about 40 minutes). The nearest train stations are Strathpine (7km) and Enoggera (6km). There are 2 high schools (private and state), 3 primary schools (state and Catholic).

Local Government Authority - Brisbane

Location - 17 km from CBD

Features - Artificial lake area, Forest Lake Village Shopping Centre

Median Price - REIQ research shows that the median house price in the suburb for the financial year 2002/03 was $185,000.

Median Weekly Rent - The median weekly rent paid for a 3-bedroom house in this area in the June 2003 quarter was $200.The median weekly rent paid for a 2-bedroom unit in this area was $200 in the same time period.

Commentary - Forest Lake is a residential development community undertaken by the Delfin Property Group some 10 years ago. The suburb, in Brisbane’s Southwest district, is approximately 17 km from the Brisbane CBD and contains many excellent facilities. The highlight is the artificial lake area that serves as the centrepiece of the community.

The housing options in the suburb are mostly brick and tile homes built since the start of development in the area. The suburb has been particularly popular with families and has focused on providing adequate educational and childcare facilities within the suburb’s boundaries.

There are an extensive range of learning facilities on offer in the community including child-care centres, private and state primary and secondary schools, as well as special education and adult learning.

The development of the community coincided with the extension and upgrading of the Centenary Highway – this has made commuting to and from the Brisbane CBD much easier for residents. There are public buses available to various destinations including the City.

The Forest Lake Sunday Markets have become one of suburban Brisbane’s top Sunday morning attractions.

The lake is good for water sports enthusiasts keen to go canoeing, rowing or sailing – there are also eating facilities next to the lake. The area also boasts numerous parks, playgrounds and hike and bike trails.

The Forest Lake Village Shopping Centre is open 7 days and contains discount supermarkets, fashion stores, newsagents, and florists.

According to the 2001 Census (Forest Lake was listed together with Doolandella) there were 14,084 people living in the area with a median age of 29. The median individual income was between $400 and $499 per week. Of all occupied private dwellings 57% were either fully owned or being purchased; 39% were being rented.

So I was right about buses to Albany Creek, but it seems that they now have buses to Forest Lake as well.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

The GoodbyeGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Mrs D,

Certainly given me some food for thought. Forest Lake may be out of the picture for me now, still don't know about A. Creek. Will have to see when we get there. We are starting out in Mount Cotton as that is where my brother-in-law lives...so may consider living in the bayside area for a while (renting at first).
Old Dec 9th 2003, 10:08 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by The GoodbyeGirl
We are starting out in Mount Cotton as that is where my brother-in-law lives...so may consider living in the bayside area for a while (renting at first).
Thats a nice place to start, it gives you a chance to see the Southern bayside areas before you look inland.

Some nice houses in Mount Cotton too..... go for a drive down Santuary Drive . When we first got to QLD, i was told that Mt Cotton was cheap, so when I saw these houses, I thought if these are cheap i am having one !! So I rang the agents while driving past, but was told $750,000. Not as cheap an area as the locals had said after all This was before the local property boom.

Old Dec 10th 2003, 8:34 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Dont count Forest Lake out.

The other half has friends who live in FL and they really love the place.
True there isnt much in the way of a garden for most places but not everyone likes mowing 4 acres of ground!!!!
Think you really need to go out their and check the places over before giving them the elbow.
We went to stroll around the lake and the developments when over in Oz and we were pleasently surprised by the whole area.

Cheers

TT

Originally posted by The GoodbyeGirl
Thanks Mrs D,

Certainly given me some food for thought. Forest Lake may be out of the picture for me now, still don't know about A. Creek. Will have to see when we get there. We are starting out in Mount Cotton as that is where my brother-in-law lives...so may consider living in the bayside area for a while (renting at first).