Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fees from customs when your personal effect arrive?

Fees from customs when your personal effect arrive?

Old Jul 18th 2008, 1:52 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all
Default Re: Fees from customs when your personal effect arrive?

Originally Posted by Chris Ball
Can anyone tell me what is the rate for import duty and GST for goods brought in which are less than 12 months old as i have a few items i think i should declare.
Thanks.
I would be interested in any response as our container is full and just waiting to be collected now.

I felt sorry for the 4 guys who we doing our packing from Executive Move as they were loading the container in a temperature of 47c yesterday.

We have declared several items as they are new. As my birthday is in a weeks time my daughter bought me a sewing machine to take with me as a gift. Am I likely to be charged duty on it? It was listed as a gift on the declaration.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 2:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ray2gill
I would be interested in any response as our container is full and just waiting to be collected now.

I felt sorry for the 4 guys who we doing our packing from Executive Move as they were loading the container in a temperature of 47c yesterday.

We have declared several items as they are new. As my birthday is in a weeks time my daughter bought me a sewing machine to take with me as a gift. Am I likely to be charged duty on it? It was listed as a gift on the declaration.
Highly unlikely to have any duty charged -although they can be a law unto themselves. But as it clearly isn't something that you are looking to make a quick profit on you should be fine.
Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
RUBBISH

We shipped with Davis Turner and their fee included the AQIS inspection - even though the shipping agent in Oz initially tried to charge for it. Yes they were expensive, but company was paying.

Obviously if it had required cleaning etc this would have been extra.
Don't quite see what the comment of "rubbish" refers to? All Moneypen said was that no shipper can give you a guarantee that there won't be any extra AQIS fees this end - and she's right. Although there is a standard fee for inspection, that fee is added to for any items that need cleaning or destroying, and no-one can predict that in advance. Claims that ALL AQIS fees are included are extremely dubious as the shipper could find themselves liable for $$$$$$ depending on what AQIS feel like on the day.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
All Moneypen said was that no shipper can give you a guarantee that there won't be any extra AQIS fees this end - and she's right. Although there is a standard fee for inspection, that fee is added to for any items that need cleaning or destroying, and no-one can predict that in advance. Claims that ALL AQIS fees are included are extremely dubious as the shipper could find themselves liable for $$$$$$ depending on what AQIS feel like on the day.
That's why my closing comment was "Obviously if it had required cleaning etc this would have been extra."

Moneypen's opening comment of "Any UK shipper who gives you a quote for AQIS is talking out of their backside and possibly taking you for a ride." was rather unqualified IMO

Last edited by Red_V_Roger; Jul 18th 2008 at 7:40 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

MillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really nice

Originally Posted by cazw1405
Thanks Moneypen

Thats made my mind up! I have been umming and ahhhhing over this for days and OH just keeps saying "its up to you, whatever you think is best!"AHHHHH:curse:

When you look at the differnce between the quotes £414 is $861 so John Masons it is!

Thanks again

Caz x
Just to add we had two quotes - Dorree Bonner and John Masons - JM £500 cheaper for practically same service - also, JM very flexible and helpful about dates! Know who were going with!

You're from NW England too? We're from Chorley - moving to Melbourne hopfully Sep! Where you headed?

A & C
Old Jul 18th 2008, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

Three families we know over here and ourselves all had to pay inspection fees. Whats more, the boxes they open are taped back up and things just thrown back in without being wrapped as they were originally, resulting in a few breakages.. ie mirror, glassware. I think we paid around $300 inspection and we only had about 5 cubic metres of goods.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

My shipment arrived au 24th June and cleared customs on the 10th July. I got a bill for $440 from Chess to pay the customs clearance fee on 26 June and a threat that if the bill wasnt paid within 7 days storage fees would be incurred.

Promptly paid but nowhere to get the shipment delivered to.

Anyway on the 10 June got a call to say all has cleared fine no extra charges and i had 7 days free storage. Thankfully house found and delivery will be 28th July - squeezed another week out of the free storage LOL.

I went with JM who were brilliant to deal with, Chess are ok but not the friendliest bunch but time will tell on the 28th!