Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Family Tax Benefit

Family Tax Benefit

Old Jan 31st 2011, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family Tax Benefit

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
In July, you will do the return for your income(s) from November, and work out how much tax you want to pay... sorry (have to pay), and then you get back the overpayment. Normal time for refund is within 14 days of claiming.
Ah! ok so no need to do anything yet.

PS: The lettuce was $3.99.... most expensive one I have ever bought

I found them cheaper than Iceburg letti up here after the flood.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 1:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
What is tax rebate time and what are we supposed to do?
Old Feb 20th 2011, 3:21 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shirlw
If someone could clarify my query re-above that would be great.

Been here 9 weeks and neither of us are working yet.My Aussie neighbour was chatting to me one day and has insisted that we must apply for something called Family Tax Benefit which I took to be something like the UK Family Allowance(not sure if it's still called that?).

Anyhow,we are certainly not people who have an inclination towards State support but she was insistant that you get this even though you are working and earning.She told me that as long as we have permanent Residency then we qualify.So before I go making an arse of myself,my kids are 15,13 and 7 and all still at school so what do you think ?Do I apply or not ?
Just spotted this thread. I'm guessing that you've also been told that you're eligible for a form of housing benefit?
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paulry
Just spotted this thread. I'm guessing that you've also been told that you're eligible for a form of housing benefit?
Hi Paulry,

I don't think we would be eligible for any housing benefit as we own the house we are in (well the bank owes some of it lol)!
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Paulry,

I don't think we would be eligible for any housing benefit as we own the house we are in (well the bank owes some of it lol)!
Ooooh lucky you.

You bought a house already?
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 10:27 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Paulry,

Wow you are organised!

I assumed that you'd be slumming it in rentals like the rest of us

In that case I'm not sure if you'd be eligible for anything. Have you filled out the online forms with Centrelink? There's a section to apply for housing benefit which should make it clear if you are eligible. It's not a lot but if you're not earning very much (or anything ) then every bit helps.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of

Not really that organised but we did buy it ages ago and had it rented out,the lease ran out just before we arrived here so good timing
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not really that organised but we did buy it ages ago and had it rented out,the lease ran out just before we arrived here so good timing
Ah! That's what I call planning ahead.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 8:32 pm
Banned

That was a good strategy
Old Jul 4th 2011, 3:22 pm
Banned

Just a quick question regarding the Centrelink Family Income Estimate: Once the tax year has ended how is a Family Income Confirmation with Centrelink carried out? Does the confirmation take place automatically when we submit our tax returns? It makes sense that it would but I just need to make sure.

Thanks.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick question regarding the Centrelink Family Income Estimate: Once the tax year has ended how is a Family Income Confirmation with Centrelink carried out? Does the confirmation take place automatically when we submit our tax returns? It makes sense that it would but I just need to make sure.

Thanks.
It should do provided you registered for it. Tax goes in, they calculate what family tax benefit you get and it goes into the bank acct you nominated.

Be aware they check all your bank interest, money over $10,000 transferred in or out ( overseas ) investments etc, so make sure the tax return you lodged was correct. They want your worldwide income not just australian. Govt departments info share, a few one clicks and they have all your bank details etc.

If you have claimed during the year they also check the amount you were paid was correct, making an adjustment be it refund or bill for overpayment.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 11:50 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jad n rich
It should do provided you registered for it. Tax goes in, they calculate what family tax benefit you get and it goes into the bank acct you nominated.

Be aware they check all your bank interest, money over $10,000 transferred in or out ( overseas ) investments etc, so make sure the tax return you lodged was correct. They want your worldwide income not just australian. Govt departments info share, a few one clicks and they have all your bank details etc.

If you have claimed during the year they also check the amount you were paid was correct, making an adjustment be it refund or bill for overpayment.
Thanks. If wifey has done some work during the tax year will she receive the Australian equivalent of a P60?
Old Jul 5th 2011, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. If wifey has done some work during the tax year will she receive the Australian equivalent of a P60?
Yes a statement should come out from employer. Group certificate its often called up here. If she doesnt get it by the 14th contact them.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

JAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really nice

Just to add...

You don't have to go to Centrelink for the Family Assistance Office, they are also in the Medicare Office - usually a shorter wait than Centrelink I find!
Old Jul 5th 2011, 12:12 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Yes a statement should come out from employer. Group certificate its often called up here. If she doesnt get it by the 14th contact them.
Great, now I have an excuse to put it off for a few more days

Thanks for your help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.