Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving in and around Brisbane

Driving in and around Brisbane

Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in and around Brisbane

Originally Posted by brissybound
Hi

My friends in Brisbane say that rush hour folk drive way too fast as well. Has anyone got any reassurring tales of driving in Oz?

Thanks again

Jamie
Wouldn't worry about that. Rush hour and driving too fast don't belong in the same sentence.

Originally Posted by markallwood
Only things to keep an eye out for:

a) people rarely let you out at junctions.
b) "tailgating" is common, so make sure that you leave a good gap between yourself and the car in front of you to stay safe.
c) traffic grinds to a halt in the rain.
d) cyclists are allowed to go 2 abreast and occupy an entire lane. Crazy.
e) when turning right or left at traffic lights in suburban areas, you must give way to pedestrians who may be crossing. Incredibly, the green lights for cars and pedestrians go off at the same time.

To sum it all up - you've got nothing to worry about ! its a breeze.
Agree with all of that. Good point about the pedestrians also; I've been on the giving and the recieving end of that surprise.

Originally Posted by Centurion

The main difference you will find is that drivers do not let you out of junctions at all, its an alien concept and you will confuse anyone by trying to do it. But thats usually down to the volume of traffic being so much lower, especially outside city centers.
Totally agreed. I wouldn't recommend under any circumstances trying to be chivalrous and allow people to merge at junctions. Its a totally foreign concept; they just sit and stare, bewildered. Don't flash your headlights either, again total bemusement. You're more likely to have someone run into the back of you.

Originally Posted by imanaussie
Driving in South East Qld can be daunting for anyone including those Australians from other Aussie states. We have lived in Tasmania, NSW, Vic and have driven in Melbourne & Sydney heaps but coming to Qld was a real eye opener, they are crazy up here!!

I have no idea why the drivers dont let you merge but Qld'ers seem to have a real issue with it!!..............they are the worst Aussie drivers we have come across and we are born and bred Australians. My DH and I constantly shake our heads when we witness yet another act of driver stupidity you just wouldnt see anywhere else in Aus.......You need to have your wits about you all the time when driving in SE Qld and that includes the Gold Coast and Brisbane and surrounds. Maybe it gets better the further North you travel but I wouldnt know as I havent been up further than Maroochydore yet.

Good Luck!
Its like they're all driving around with a pair of blinkers on. They have no peripheral vision, no awareness of other road users around them. Their awareness starts and ends with their front and back bumpers.Cyclists / motorcyclists they don't see; roundabout they can't navigate; traffic lights they can't get anymore than three cars through at a time because they can't KEEP UP WITH THE CAR IN FRONT! (which has become my new catchphrase).
Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:43 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Sorry can't really reassure you. I find the driving here generally more aggressive, inconsiderate and irresponsible. However faster is one thing I would say it isn't. Others will disagree of course, but I fully agree with your friend. Don't expect people to give way or let you in. Stick your indicator on and 9 times out of 10 people will do their best to ensure you can't get to where you want to go.

I have Aussie friends who have driven in the UK and commented that they found the drivers to be far more courteous than in Qld - and they were talking about driving in London!

In general I find people here more polite & courteous, but something seems to happen to them when they get in their cars!
I agree with this post almost in it's entirety. I just wish more people would acknowledge a kind act with a "thank you" from time to time.

I agree with your point about speeding too. I think Brisbane driving conditions at first glance appear deceptive. The drivers (for the most part) seem to stick to the speed limit and it's only when they deviate from driving straight ahead (not including turning/maneuvering) when things seem to go horribly wrong. Generally speaking (i.e. not everyone for people waiting to pick this remark to pieces) they seem to be thoughtless and careless drivers.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:46 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
The approach generally applied by the locals is to accelerate to twice the speed of the traffic already on the motorway then swerve onto the motorway as soon as practical to do so and ignoring any solid lines. It is then imperative that you proceed immediately to the far right hand lane of any road, regardless of any actual reason to do so. Once this is done, check your mirror to ensure it is safe to do so. Stay in the far right hand lane for the entirety of your journey, regardless of the speed you are travelling at, only leave the right hand lane 100m before veering into your intended exit.
Bang on! LMFAO!

The lane eqtiquette here is non-existent. It really gets on my tits!
Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:54 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by spartacus
Wouldn't worry about that. Rush hour and driving too fast don't belong in the same sentence.

Agree with all of that. Good point about the pedestrians also; I've been on the giving and the recieving end of that surprise.

Totally agreed. I wouldn't recommend under any circumstances trying to be chivalrous and allow people to merge at junctions. Its a totally foreign concept; they just sit and stare, bewildered. Don't flash your headlights either, again total bemusement. You're more likely to have someone run into the back of you.

Its like they're all driving around with a pair of blinkers on. They have no peripheral vision, no awareness of other road users around them. Their awareness starts and ends with their front and back bumpers.Cyclists / motorcyclists they don't see; roundabout they can't navigate; traffic lights they can't get anymore than three cars through at a time because they can't KEEP UP WITH THE CAR IN FRONT! (which has become my new catchphrase).
I ride a motorbike to work and I was taught to always ride slightly in front of peripheral cars in multi-lane traffic, so that they are made aware of my presence. This tactic, more often than not, is perceived by the other driver as an aggressive challenge to compete with me in a game of "I'm In Front Of You Now You Bastard!". It gets very boring after a while.

Also, leaving a safe distance between you and the car in front of seems like a pointless exercise too as it's normally taken as an invitation to see just how many cars can squeeze into your gap.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
I ride a motorbike to work and I was taught to always ride slightly in front of peripheral cars in multi-lane traffic, so that they are made aware of my presence. This tactic, more often than not, is perceived by the other driver as an aggressive challenge to compete with me in a game of "I'm In Front Of You Now You Bastard!". It gets very boring after a while.

Also, leaving a safe distance between you and the car in front of seems like a pointless exercise too as it's normally taken as an invitation to see just how many cars can squeeze into your gap.
You're a braver man than I. Rode a scooter and a bike in London for years, and although not entirely incident free, felt much more visible than I would here. You're absolutely right, you need to make yourself as visible as you can and take up as much road as possible to ensure your own safety. Unfortunately more often than not, this is misinterpreted by many drivers. My time riding on two wheels undoubtedly made me a better driver.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 12:43 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think we have put the OP mind at rest about driving in QLD!
Old Jul 10th 2008, 12:53 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood
I passed my test 15yrs ago in the UK, but never had a car...

It was only when I moved to brisbane with my wife that I "learnt" how to drive again.

The speed limit in suburban areas is 50kmph (31mph) and 60kmph on general roads. Motorway speed limits are 100 and 110kmph (68mph). The majority of drivers do not exceed this limit.

Driving over here is extremely easy. The roads around brisbane are very wide and have good surfaces. Generally, people are not in a rush to go from A to B, so you never feel too pressured by other road users.

Only things to keep an eye out for:

a) people rarely let you out at junctions.
b) "tailgating" is common, so make sure that you leave a good gap between yourself and the car in front of you to stay safe.
c) traffic grinds to a halt in the rain.
d) cyclists are allowed to go 2 abreast and occupy an entire lane. Crazy.
e) when turning right or left at traffic lights in suburban areas, you must give way to pedestrians who may be crossing. Incredibly, the green lights for cars and pedestrians go off at the same time.

To sum it all up - you've got nothing to worry about ! its a breeze.

Agree with most of this post,apart from:

Driving over here is extremely easy. The roads around brisbane are very wide and have good surfaces. Generally, people are not in a rush to go from A to B, so you never feel too pressured by other road users.

You must be joking, yeah the roads in most suburbs are wide, but what about the Riverside Expressway ?? and all the freeways ?? the lanes are tight and to top it off theres very few safe areas if you break down !!!
The road surfaces are terrible on my commute, Pacific / Gateway / Lytton Rd, its no wonder you see so many 4x4.....
And to say you don't feel pressured by other road users, is nonsense...it will never cease to amaze me how many Brainless morons there are here, tailgating must be part of the driving test here, but the funny thing is....they're all shite at it....ive lost count of the crashes ive seen,at least3 per week and nearly all rear enders.

Best thing to do is drive the way your confident with and Balls to the rest....
Old Jul 10th 2008, 1:41 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK

You are indeed brave. I rode everywhere in London. I wouldn't ride here if you paid me. My bike has stood for 3 years now without being started and I need to sell it really.

The mere thought of riding in Brisbane with the combination of the shittiest potholed driving surface outside of Africa, cambers which can only be described as bizzare, and the inability for drivers to see my large 4WD nevermind a sodding bike would have me killed within weeks I reckon.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Centurion
You are indeed brave. I rode everywhere in London. I wouldn't ride here if you paid me. My bike has stood for 3 years now without being started and I need to sell it really.

The mere thought of riding in Brisbane with the combination of the shittiest potholed driving surface outside of Africa, cambers which can only be described as bizzare, and the inability for drivers to see my large 4WD nevermind a sodding bike would have me killed within weeks I reckon.
Concurred.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

imanaussie is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Driving in and around Brisbane

Poor Qld'ers, we really are giving it to them! I would love to know what a born and bred Qld'er has to say about all this, a reason for the crappy driving would be a good start.

Perhaps the SE corner has grown so fast that it has been hard for locals to keep pace with the traffic and additional roads therefore they continue to drive as if they still lived in the bush?????? I cant think of any other reason for it. Tassie can be pretty bad at 'merging' but Qld is worse and Tassie is much more rural than SE Qld!

Hmm.....
Old Jul 10th 2008, 1:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by imanaussie

Perhaps the SE corner has grown so fast that it has been hard for locals to keep pace with the traffic and additional roads therefore they continue to drive as if they still lived in the bush??????

Hmm.....
I think that's a pretty fair summation.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

brissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond repute

Ive went from absolute confidence to shitting me pants now!!!

Hows the public transport??
Old Jul 10th 2008, 2:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Shite!
Old Jul 10th 2008, 2:14 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Mwahahahahahha!

Actually it's not that bad, as long as you dont live too far out the city, or want to travel late at night, or on a Sunday! I've had some pretty seamless public transport experiences recently.....apart from the fact my Go card keeps ripping me off! :curse:
Old Jul 10th 2008, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

imanaussie is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL...drive as the locals drive and you should be just fine!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.