Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving in and around Brisbane

Driving in and around Brisbane

Old Jul 9th 2008, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

brissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving in and around Brisbane

Hi

I just passed my driving test last week which in all honestly I was major surprised to do.

The problem is im not getting the chance to build my confidence up before I arrive in Brisbane (next Friday).

Ive always been nervous on the roads hence why it took me until the ripe old age of 35 before sitting my test.

Ive taken motorway lessons here and found them okay, as motorways were always my biggest fear.

What worries me is my big mate who is just back from Adelaide said the driving is horrendeous in Oz, way too fast. He reckons no-one lets you on at junctions and its all a bit crazy.

My friends in Brisbane say that rush hour folk drive way too fast as well. Has anyone got any reassurring tales of driving in Oz?

This is the one thing that worries me, I really wish I had sat my test years ago then I wouldnt be sweating so much about it!

Thanks again

Jamie
Old Jul 9th 2008, 1:21 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in and around Brisbane

Sorry can't really reassure you. I find the driving here generally more aggressive, inconsiderate and irresponsible. However faster is one thing I would say it isn't. Others will disagree of course, but I fully agree with your friend. Don't expect people to give way or let you in. Stick your indicator on and 9 times out of 10 people will do their best to ensure you can't get to where you want to go.

I have Aussie friends who have driven in the UK and commented that they found the drivers to be far more courteous than in Qld - and they were talking about driving in London!

In general I find people here more polite & courteous, but something seems to happen to them when they get in their cars!

Last edited by bcworld; Jul 9th 2008 at 1:23 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 1:25 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

I have spent time driving in Oz and UK and in my opinion it is more laid back here.

Often people are driving along the road under the speed limit - I didn't find that in UK. Also the speed limits are slower here a little.

I think for me the biggest thing I have noticed is that the roads have more blind crests and hills (maybe that's just cause I live in Seven Hills!), and coming into roundabouts they tend to have a curve before it (which I find you need to slow down for).

I drive to and from the city every day here and I am comfortable - I was never comfortable driving into London. I would probably say that people don't let you 'in' as much as England, but I would think that comes from a sense that people just aren't in as much of a hurry!

I am sure you will be fine, just try to avoid rush hour until you get used to it. Good luck
Old Jul 9th 2008, 1:31 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybound
Hi

I just passed my driving test last week which in all honestly I was major surprised to do.

The problem is im not getting the chance to build my confidence up before I arrive in Brisbane (next Friday).

Ive always been nervous on the roads hence why it took me until the ripe old age of 35 before sitting my test.

Ive taken motorway lessons here and found them okay, as motorways were always my biggest fear.

What worries me is my big mate who is just back from Adelaide said the driving is horrendeous in Oz, way too fast. He reckons no-one lets you on at junctions and its all a bit crazy.

My friends in Brisbane say that rush hour folk drive way too fast as well. Has anyone got any reassurring tales of driving in Oz?

This is the one thing that worries me, I really wish I had sat my test years ago then I wouldnt be sweating so much about it!

Thanks again

Jamie
I passed my test 15yrs ago in the UK, but never had a car...

It was only when I moved to brisbane with my wife that I "learnt" how to drive again.

The speed limit in suburban areas is 50kmph (31mph) and 60kmph on general roads. Motorway speed limits are 100 and 110kmph (68mph). The majority of drivers do not exceed this limit.

Driving over here is extremely easy. The roads around brisbane are very wide and have good surfaces. Generally, people are not in a rush to go from A to B, so you never feel too pressured by other road users.

Only things to keep an eye out for:

a) people rarely let you out at junctions.
b) "tailgating" is common, so make sure that you leave a good gap between yourself and the car in front of you to stay safe.
c) traffic grinds to a halt in the rain.
d) cyclists are allowed to go 2 abreast and occupy an entire lane. Crazy.
e) when turning right or left at traffic lights in suburban areas, you must give way to pedestrians who may be crossing. Incredibly, the green lights for cars and pedestrians go off at the same time.

To sum it all up - you've got nothing to worry about ! its a breeze.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

brissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks folks.

How do you get on the motorway then? Do you just swing out in front of them?

I like the idea its a bit slower and to be honest driving about the normal roads doesnt worry me.

Is there normally plenty of room joining the highways outwith rush hour? Or do you find you have to stop on the slip roads a lot?

Ive heard about the tailgaiting as well, that must make it difficult getting on teh freeways.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 1:36 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Go to your local military hardware store and buy a TANK,problem solved
Old Jul 9th 2008, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Go to your local military hardware store and buy a TANK,problem solved
Old Jul 9th 2008, 1:46 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks folks.

How do you get on the motorway then? Do you just swing out in front of them?
The approach generally applied by the locals is to accelerate to twice the speed of the traffic already on the motorway then swerve onto the motorway as soon as practical to do so and ignoring any solid lines. It is then imperative that you proceed immediately to the far right hand lane of any road, regardless of any actual reason to do so. Once this is done, check your mirror to ensure it is safe to do so. Stay in the far right hand lane for the entirety of your journey, regardless of the speed you are travelling at, only leave the right hand lane 100m before veering into your intended exit.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bcworld
The approach generally applied by the locals is to accelerate to twice the speed of the traffic already on the motorway then swerve onto the motorway as soon as practical to do so and ignoring any solid lines. It is then imperative that you proceed immediately to the far right hand lane of any road, regardless of any actual reason to do so. Once this is done, check your mirror to ensure it is safe to do so. Stay in the far right hand lane for the entirety of your journey, regardless of the speed you are travelling at, only leave the right hand lane 100m before veering into your intended exit.
Sounds ominous.

So do the expats get the left hand lane and middle lanes for themselves?

I think it will be a while before I would be cruising on the right hand lane, I found the slow lane back here a learning curve to be honest although I was more than comfortable letting folk on or moving lanes to do so.

Im sure I will learn, going to have to. The missus worries me, she has no fear of driving being a kiwi, but generally assummes that everyone is as nice as her. Very niave as there has been a few times over here and especially when we were in Cuba, that I had to pull her back onto the pavement as she will just presume a green light means she can step onto the road without looking thinking everyone will stop to let her cross.

Needless to say she has had a few close calls and thats just her as a pedestrian. Living i Glasgow we just never ever had the need for a car. We live 10 mins from the city centre with amazing public transport. When you add the cost of running a car it just wasnt worth it for us.

Ive heard its entirely different over there as you really need one. The exception being when travelling to the Gold Coast which im told is far better to do by train as the traffic is jam packed?

Last edited by brissybound; Jul 9th 2008 at 1:59 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 2:13 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Sounds ominous.

So do the expats get the left hand lane and middle lanes for themselves?
Nearly, they have to share it with interstate migrants as well!

I wouldn't worry about working up to the right hand lane, here, its often the slowest one! On the motorway you can pass other cars either on the right or the left hand side - can get a bit hairy, but is entirely necessary because of the right lane huggers.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/arti...html?from=top5

Old Jul 9th 2008, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Nearly, they have to share it with interstate migrants as well!

I wouldn't worry about working up to the right hand lane, here, its often the slowest one! On the motorway you can pass other cars either on the right or the left hand side - can get a bit hairy, but is entirely necessary because of the right lane huggers.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/arti...html?from=top5

Good article!

Ive also been told to keep my eye out for the parking attendant ladies on the GC??

Man, cant wait!!

Cheers

Jamie
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:42 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks again

Jamie
I wish we could drive a bit faster lol. Our speed limits are lower than the UK and enforced rigourously almost to a passion.

The main difference you will find is that drivers do not let you out of junctions at all, its an alien concept and you will confuse anyone by trying to do it. But thats usually down to the volume of traffic being so much lower, especially outside city centers.

If you arrive off a plane and are used to driving in the UK of course its a bit daunting. Its a different country and your simply not used to it.

Now I find driving in the UK completely scary and I avoid it usually when I am there. Too fast, too crowded and too congested.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

imanaussie is an unknown quantity at this point

Driving in South East Qld can be daunting for anyone including those Australians from other Aussie states. We have lived in Tasmania, NSW, Vic and have driven in Melbourne & Sydney heaps but coming to Qld was a real eye opener, they are crazy up here!!

I have no idea why the drivers dont let you merge but Qld'ers seem to have a real issue with it!!..............they are the worst Aussie drivers we have come across and we are born and bred Australians. My DH and I constantly shake our heads when we witness yet another act of driver stupidity you just wouldnt see anywhere else in Aus.......You need to have your wits about you all the time when driving in SE Qld and that includes the Gold Coast and Brisbane and surrounds. Maybe it gets better the further North you travel but I wouldnt know as I havent been up further than Maroochydore yet.

Good Luck!
Old Jul 9th 2008, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

We had no trouble merging on the motorway in Brissy, and on one occasion when trying to turn into a main street in 5pm traffic, the cars stopped and let us in. We did get called an abusive name once, but we were driving a 7m camper very slowly looking at the pretty view.

One odd thing we found though is that people are nervous about roundabouts. They will grind to a halt if another car is anywhere near. OH approached a roundabout and a woman was approaching from the right, but still a long way away so he pulled out. She honked angrily, but she still wasn't even up to the line yet. Seems to defeat the purpose of the roundabout. Yet, on ordinary roads people didn't seem to feel the need to give way to the right. We are not sure this rule even applies in Brisbane as so many people ignored it.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:02 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha ha so bloody true!
For some reason common sense gets left in the boot when the average QLD'er jumps behind the wheel of a car. Can somebody who has taken lessons/test in Australia tell me if they learn all the below during them? The left lane of most motorways is usually the quickest as there is only me in it. Also forget any rules you have learnt at a roundabout its pot luck whether the indicator flashing matches the intended exit. Forget about going on the roads if its raining the place usually grinds to a halt anyway.

Last edited by TrickyTree; Jul 9th 2008 at 11:07 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.