Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do I need to change my old fashioned driving licence?

Do I need to change my old fashioned driving licence?

Old Jun 22nd 2005, 8:02 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road
Default Do I need to change my old fashioned driving licence?

Hi

I have done a search and can't quite find the answer to this. I only have the old fashioned paper driving licence as I have had no need to change it. I am going to WA and realise that I only need to fill in a form (download from where?), pay some money and wey hey. But I wondered if I should put my UK driving licence into a plastic one first. I also have some old points on my paper one that expired about 5 years ago but I don't want anyone looking at that not carerfully enough

Anne
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 8:11 pm
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Do I need to change my old fashioned driving licence?

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
Hi

I have done a search and can't quite find the answer to this. I only have the old fashioned paper driving licence as I have had no need to change it. I am going to WA and realise that I only need to fill in a form (download from where?), pay some money and wey hey. But I wondered if I should put my UK driving licence into a plastic one first. I also have some old points on my paper one that expired about 5 years ago but I don't want anyone looking at that not carerfully enough

Anne
if you have anything but a serious endorsement ie DD or DR the chances are you probably have a SP30 or SP50 which is only valid for 4 years HOWEVER you need to pay £19 to get it removed.
Transfering your paper licence to photo licence is easy and free.!!!!
Change your address to that of your parents or neighbours and it won't cost you a penny ( apart from having the endorsements removed!!)

Easy peasy
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 8:32 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by brisbec
if you have anything but a serious endorsement ie DD or DR the chances are you probably have a SP30 or SP50 which is only valid for 4 years HOWEVER you need to pay £19 to get it removed.
Transfering your paper licence to photo licence is easy and free.!!!!
Change your address to that of your parents or neighbours and it won't cost you a penny ( apart from having the endorsements removed!!)

Easy peasy
I know it's easy, but do I NEED to change it so it doesn't confuse the Australian's?
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 8:36 pm
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough

I know it's easy, but do I NEED to change it so it doesn't confuse the Australian's?
I'm sorry i really don't know the answer to that one.
Personally i would think that a paper one backed up with a passport would suffice but you never know

I'm sure there's someone on here will have the answer

unfortunately................it's not me!!!!
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 9:20 pm

amanda76 is an unknown quantity at this point

why not just change it?!!!
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 10:28 pm
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

i reckon it'd probably make life easier. Small cost in the scheme of things
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jjonboy
i reckon it'd probably make life easier. Small cost in the scheme of things
Its nice not having to renew it though - photo ones are only valid for 5? years.... paper ones go up to age 75 I think
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 12:09 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

OK. Definitive answer time...

I'm in WA.
I had an old paper license.
It had 3 points for speeding on it, (less than a year old).
Went along and gave them my old license & did the theory test,
(which you don't have to do now).
No questions asked, they gave me my new WA license there and then
and the UK points do not transfer to the WA license.
You start with a clean slate.

Woohooo!!
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 12:29 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Scossie
OK. Definitive answer time...

I'm in WA.
I had an old paper license.
It had 3 points for speeding on it, (less than a year old).
Went along and gave them my old license & did the theory test,
(which you don't have to do now).
No questions asked, they gave me my new WA license there and then
and the UK points do not transfer to the WA license.
You start with a clean slate.

Woohooo!!
Did they give you back the UK paper one, unmarked ?

Some States retain it, others punch a hole it and others just give it back unmarked (eg QLD)

They accepted my UK paper one in QLD last year.

The one possible thing that could happen, if you get a curious counter assistant, is that they MAY ask what the endorsements are for ?

Not for the purpose of adding them on to your Australian licence, but to determine if you are eligible to get one in the first place.

A clean copy may be safer, and potentially less hassle. Although, I haven't heard of it happening to anyone yet on this forum.

Old Jun 23rd 2005, 12:54 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Did they give you back the UK paper one, unmarked ?

Some States retain it, others punch a hole it and others just give it back unmarked (eg QLD)

They accepted my UK paper one in QLD last year.

The one possible thing that could happen, if you get a curious counter assistant, is that they MAY ask what the endorsements are for ?

Not for the purpose of adding them on to your Australian licence, but to determine if you are eligible to get one in the first place.

A clean copy may be safer, and potentially less hassle. Although, I haven't heard of it happening to anyone yet on this forum.
Nope, they didn't do anything to it. Just gave me it back.
They weren't interested in the points either.
The only thing the girl was a bit confused about was what kind of vehicle I was licenced to drive. She asked me if I'd ever driven vans in The UK. I said I had, but only Transit vans & stuff like that.

"Oh well then", she said, "I'll upgrade you to a heavy vehicle license!".

There was no argument from me...

So....... I ended up with my points taken off and an upgraded license!!

Woohooo again...
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 2:05 am

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

Ditto to what Scossie said. My other half had a paper licence only, got it returned unmarked along with a heavy vehicle WA licence.