Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Did you sort out schools before going out to live permanently?

Did you sort out schools before going out to live permanently?

Old May 17th 2007, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Location: Originally Reading - now the Beautiful Central Coast!
MurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really nice
Default Did you sort out schools before going out to live permanently?

Hello All

Apologies if this has been asked before!

We are in the process of packing up to leave to go to live on Central Coast, NSW at the end of July. We have somewhere to live for the first few weeks and we are now starting to look at schools.

I'd be interested to know if, for those of you with children, if you sorted schools out before you went, left it till you got there etc. We have two children - boy who will turn 13 in June and girl who will turn 8 in June (expensive month!). We are looking to live around Umina Beach, Ettalong, St Huberts island, Woy Woy way.

Thanks

Tracy
Old May 17th 2007, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did you sort out schools before going out to live permanently?

As a parent and married to a school teacher.

I would recommend visiting schools before signing up! You cant really tell if your child will be happy without going to visit and seeing what they do. We have seen very good websites only to find the school not what we want.

We are not in Aus yet, but Ive enquired at a school but will be visiting a few in the areas first before deciding.

In our current school, kids often stay for a couple of hours to a full day first. Then if they like it they sign up! Not sure if this available in Aus.

*Also dont forget to ask to look at some examples of school work.

Me, Id make enquires regarding if they have places. But wait until arrival and visit before signing your child up.

GEMS
Old May 17th 2007, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

PS, ask for recommendations on here. And do some research on any school you may be interested in.
Old May 17th 2007, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

We visited a high school recommended to us when we did a reccie in November and it's next door primary. We really liked both schools but when we arrive permanently at the end of June I want to visit other schools in the area before making a final decision; finding the right schools will be pretty fundmental in how your kids will settle I think, it's not something I'd like to decide from a distance. We basically plan to find the schools first, then find a rental that ensures we are in the catchment area. It's a much more straightfoward system than here; if you are in the catchment area they have to take you.

Martha
Old May 17th 2007, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

MurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really nice

Thank you - I personally wouldn't decide one before we get there and I see it and both we and the kids feel comfortable with it.

I suppose what I was really wondering was whether it's worth making any sort of enquiries now or leaving it till we get there.

I also wonder how long people took to sort schools out - we are leaving the UK at the end of the Summer term so I've said to the kids that they can have their normal UK summer hols, ie, 6 weeks before they have to start school! I think that's fair don't you?!

Tracy
Old May 17th 2007, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MurphFam
Thank you - I personally wouldn't decide one before we get there and I see it and both we and the kids feel comfortable with it.

I suppose what I was really wondering was whether it's worth making any sort of enquiries now or leaving it till we get there.

I also wonder how long people took to sort schools out - we are leaving the UK at the end of the Summer term so I've said to the kids that they can have their normal UK summer hols, ie, 6 weeks before they have to start school! I think that's fair don't you?!

Tracy

Don't forget that they get 8 weeks at summer here too, so maybe meet them in the middle somewhere or you'll end up with no hair

They'll probably settle better by going to school sooner rather than later as it helps them when they get friends. I think they'll probably be bored after a few weeks of trailing round looking for rentals etc.
Old May 17th 2007, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

That's true! I think it would be good idea to get them making friends as soon as - I'm relying on them to help us make friends!!! Some of my good friends have been met through schools and kids clubs!!

Tracy
Old May 17th 2007, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MurphFam
That's true! I think it would be good idea to get them making friends as soon as - I'm relying on them to help us make friends!!! Some of my good friends have been met through schools and kids clubs!!

Tracy

I'd say two - four weeks off after arriving is probably plenty.

I let mine finish school three weeks before we left so that they could spend time with their Grandma and Grandad. Seemed to work pretty well, so maybe that's a way of compromise with them
Old May 17th 2007, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

paleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nicepaleface is just really nice

just in case you may be considering private - some have waiting lists so if you are keen on one maybe worthwhile registering interest from uk so maybe not so far down waiting list if you do decide you like the school once you visit it. then if you do not like it - worst case scenario you have lost the application fee.just an idea.
Old May 17th 2007, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by paleface
just in case you may be considering private - some have waiting lists so if you are keen on one maybe worthwhile registering interest from uk so maybe not so far down waiting list if you do decide you like the school once you visit it. then if you do not like it - worst case scenario you have lost the application fee.just an idea.
We did school visits on our validation trip and made applications/arranged places after that. As we moved half way through the Australian school year (at the beginning of July) we were concerned that the school we selected might not be able to offer places to all 3 of our children and in fact there was a waiting list for two of the year groups. Because of that we chose to pay to hold places from the beginning of the academic year - in the overall cost of moving it seemed a small price to pay to ensure we got places in a school that we (and the kids) felt comfortable with.

Our children had just over 2 weeks off (a week in the UK and 10 days after we arrived) which seemed to work out fine.
Old May 18th 2007, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Wendy;4792400]I'd say two - four weeks off after arriving is probably plenty.

Spot on !! When we arrived we didn't look into sending our son off to school straigt away as we didn't want him to feel 'pushed out', however after 3 weeks he was asking to go to school, I think he was cheesed off with all the 'boring' things you have to do once you land, shopping shopping ad oh yeah shopping (and there's cars, rentals, medicare etc etc.)
S xx
Old May 18th 2007, 12:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Streaks
Spot on !! When we arrived we didn't look into sending our son off to school straigt away as we didn't want him to feel 'pushed out', however after 3 weeks he was asking to go to school, I think he was cheesed off with all the 'boring' things you have to do once you land, shopping shopping ad oh yeah shopping (and there's cars, rentals, medicare etc etc.)
S xx

I was amazed this morning, I said my 14 years old son could stay off school all day (he's got a dental appointment this aft) and he said No thanks, I want to go that's never happened before
Old May 18th 2007, 12:27 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived four years ago in the middle of December, which was right at the START of the 6 weeks school summer holidays so all schools were shut and most of the education department was also on holidays.

We had never been to Australia before and didn't have a home (or suburb) lined up in advance. We found a house, moved in called education department and had kids starting school in the new year at end of January.
Old May 18th 2007, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
I was amazed this morning, I said my 14 years old son could stay off school all day (he's got a dental appointment this aft) and he said No thanks, I want to go that's never happened before
It must be something in the water!! but hey that is impressive for a 14 yr old!
S xx
Old May 18th 2007, 1:29 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=MurphFam;4791865]Hello All

Apologies if this has been asked before!

We are in the process of packing up to leave to go to live on Central Coast, NSW at the end of July. We have somewhere to live for the first few weeks and we are now starting to look at schools.

I'd be interested to know if, for those of you with children, if you sorted schools out before you went, left it till you got there etc. We have two children - boy who will turn 13 in June and girl who will turn 8 in June (expensive month!). We are looking to live around Umina Beach, Ettalong, St Huberts island, Woy Woy way.

Thanks

We are in Perth, have 3 kids and we couldn't get them booked into a school until we actually had proof that we were living in the area same as the preferred school.
We were renting and had to show them our rental agreement (if morgaged you had to show them the papers)...it took 3 weeks to get them sorted out.