Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Deja vu - planning to go over again

Deja vu - planning to go over again

Old Apr 30th 2015, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deja vu - planning to go over again

Originally Posted by xizzles
Hi scotdownunder

For the record, that was astera's personal assessment, with regards to his opinion about Australia.
Hi.
Yeah I realised that was Astera - that's why I quoted him- although you do seem to hold similar views on Singapore. Sounds like it's a difficult decision for you - good luck with it.
For us it was a decision pretty much made for us by circumstances - move where the work is. So we moved to Aus, spent a (mostly) lovely 7 years there, in Melbourne. And then suddenly the work dried up and we are currently in Canada.
Glad we spent the time in Australia though, and luckily all hold citizenship now so maybe one day circumstances will take us back there.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
My opinion only applies if you happen to have lived in Singapore or currently live in Singapore (as an expat). It's more of a comparison, not an assessment of Australia that will differ vastly depending on where you came from. Just like with the universe... everything is relative.

Did I really come across as being "tortured" by living here? I was merely making the point that it's a huge step down from the expat life in Singapore. It is considerably difficult to make the change, I will definitely claim that.

I am staying mainly to secure citizenship for my wife because we're currently juggling 3 passports (the kids have all of them) but we do not have a common one across all 4 of us. I do not enjoy living here after residing in so many places from the US to Europe to Singapore and here. It is just a personal opinion though, and the only reason I am being very direct and straight-to-the-point without all the niceties and watering-down is because I have been an Australian citizen from day 1.
It did sound a bit like you were ' doing hard time' til you could escape lol but as you say it's all relative.
That makes sense now you have said that about the passports though. Nosiness satisfied
Old Apr 30th 2015, 12:09 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
And then suddenly the work dried up and we are currently in Canada.
Interesting move. How do you find Canada, have you been to all the major cities? Do you like Winnipeg - are there any other cities you would prefer to live in if the job could be "moved" there?

That makes sense now you have said that about the passports though. Nosiness satisfied
Going on holidays it makes you think what would happen if things went bad and governments started doing their own evacuations, etc. We need to have a common passport so here we are.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Going on holidays it makes you think what would happen if things went bad and governments started doing their own evacuations, etc. We need to have a common passport so here we are.
Good grief! That's so true! Take the recent earthquake and avalanche in Nepal for example! I gotta give it to you, astera - I would have never thought of that point!
Old Apr 30th 2015, 2:18 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been to Brisbane? It has a lovely city centre and seems much more upscale as a whole than Sydney - even when you look at the people it's a step up the evolution ladder (better dressed, less tattoos, etc.).
In the 21st century west, the more upmarket the area, the more tattoos sported

I think Brisbane is a shithole. Each to their own
Old Apr 30th 2015, 2:19 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is a perfect example of that recurring BE theme - paralysis by analysis
Old Apr 30th 2015, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
This thread is a perfect example of that recurring BE theme - paralysis by analysis
It's not that bad... I just made my first appointment with the immigration agent today, so I'm at least getting the ball rolling somewhat
Old Apr 30th 2015, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
In the 21st century west, the more upmarket the area, the more tattoos sported

I think Brisbane is a shithole. Each to their own
Europe to Singapore to Goldie to Brissie. How life could go downhill so rapidly.
Old May 1st 2015, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Interesting move. How do you find Canada, have you been to all the major cities? Do you like Winnipeg - are there any other cities you would prefer to live in if the job could be "moved" there?

Yeah, interesting would be the right word for it. One extreme to the other - we have gone from hubby having a 80 minute commute each way in +40c to a 3 minute commute in down to -50c.
I quite like Winnipeg though, Canadians are a nice bunch mainly I have found - we are seizing every opportunity to do something different as we don't know if we will get PR or not. Little one has just turned 4 and loves the snow and can skate like she was born here!
Haven't had chance or holidays to visit much of the rest of Canada - it's so huge and flights so expensive. Hope to visit Calgary and the Rockies soon though.
Old May 1st 2015, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

It's not that bad... I just made my first appointment with the immigration agent today, so I'm at least getting the ball rolling somewhat
Do a heads or tails on it. Heads you go/tails you don't. You will either feel disappointed or relieved when the decision is made and that tells you all you need to know
Old May 1st 2015, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Do a heads or tails on it. Heads you go/tails you don't. You will either feel disappointed or relieved when the decision is made and that tells you all you need to know
- thanks for the suggestion dear, but I've already made my peace with the decision, in a large part, from gathering the comments by the helpful folk on these pages, and thrashing out the pros and cons.

A special thank you to astera in particular, for he reminded me that there were/are a lot of good points to Singapore that I've stopped or failed to appreciate. So, things might now turn out so bad if I do decide to let the 189 lapse again...

Similarly, thanks to ABCD......'s incisive questions that forced me to list the good and the bad about the whole process. Quite cathartic!

I'll update you guys if/when I get the visa. I just heard from my agent that I may have to take the IELTS to make up extra points, so my wife is spared from having to do hers! That'll be interesting....
Old May 1st 2015, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Can't seem to edit my own post above ... Noticed a typo: things might NOT turn out so bad if I decide to let the 189 lapse again, not "now"
Old May 1st 2015, 9:36 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Xizzles, hope everything goes well as an mentioned try to keep the door ajar for a few months so that you have a way back in case the charm of living in Australia wears off.

A good idea, since you'll be waiting some time for the formalities to clear anyway, is to maybe make your next holiday a cruise - one of those that does a full circle around Australia and stops in all the major cities (plus a few other interesting places). That way without constantly having to fly, pack+unpack, etc., your "hotel on water" will allow your to spend a full day in each of those cities for a quick look/first impression.

And if you feel like giving the Gold Coast a look, I'd recommend hopping over on Scoot biz (only airline with a non-stop service on this route) and staying at the Q1 (tallest building on this side of the equator). Lovely place this.
Old May 13th 2015, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi all, just an update ... I received my IELTS results, unbelievably, via SMS today. Technology - it's fantastic.

Looks like I have one less hurdle to jump over . The IELTS is a fantastic way to score an extra 20 points needed for a 189!

Listening: 8.5 <--- she who must be obeyed thinks I didn't deserve this, because according to her, I never listen to anything she nags, I mean, says.

Reading: 9.0 <--- well, this is what I do all day long, as part of my job, so I'd be royally screwed beyond redemption if I didn't score well in this section!

Writing: 8.5 <--- to be honest, I reckon I could have done better on this, if I were allowed to type out my answers. I've not picked up a pen or pencil in nearly a decade, apart from signing credit cards & cheques to pay for her majesty's shopping sprees)

Speaking: 9.0 <--- the examiner and I had a really good, friendly chat. This was the part that I enjoyed the most about the whole exam, to be honest

Overall: 9.0.

I'm a happy boy, yes I am.
Old May 15th 2015, 3:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, just an update ... I received my IELTS results, unbelievably, via SMS today. Technology - it's fantastic.

Looks like I have one less hurdle to jump over . The IELTS is a fantastic way to score an extra 20 points needed for a 189!

Listening: 8.5 <--- she who must be obeyed thinks I didn't deserve this, because according to her, I never listen to anything she nags, I mean, says.

Reading: 9.0 <--- well, this is what I do all day long, as part of my job, so I'd be royally screwed beyond redemption if I didn't score well in this section!

Writing: 8.5 <--- to be honest, I reckon I could have done better on this, if I were allowed to type out my answers. I've not picked up a pen or pencil in nearly a decade, apart from signing credit cards & cheques to pay for her majesty's shopping sprees)

Speaking: 9.0 <--- the examiner and I had a really good, friendly chat. This was the part that I enjoyed the most about the whole exam, to be honest

Overall: 9.0.

I'm a happy boy, yes I am.
Congrats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.