debt in uk

Old Dec 20th 2006, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: debt in uk

Originally Posted by fastrhino
I am new to this forum and this is only my second post.

I have to agree with some of the comments regarding the banks and credit card companies in the UK, they do make credit to easy and tempting for people to obtain.

Most financial institutions have to budget for bad debts, they write millions off each year but still make an healthy profit.

I recently closed a credit card account which had $19500 limit on it :scared: It was orriginally a £2k card but other 6/7 yrs the limit grew (as a good customer who paid his bill) and the cheques would regularly arrive before christmas and holiday time.

I think anyone who can shaft the man and get away with deserves a pat on the back,,,if a few paople can beat the system good luck to them.

and before i get shouted down, i plan to pay any outstanding debts,,,,under the wifes orders

mick

Whilst I hate banks as much as anyone (our mortgage co is trying to charge us £365 'admin fee' for paying off our mortgage! This is on top of the discharge fee! Ba$tards!) ANYWAY whilst I hate banks very much I still think people should pay off their debts. Partly just because of the ethics, but also (more practically) because the banks will just look at what they have lost and share out the cost between borrowers who do pay their debts. So whilst one selfish person might be laughing their ar$e off on the other side of the world, honest people are being penalised for it. Not good!
Old Dec 20th 2006, 7:24 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by esperanza
Whilst I hate banks as much as anyone (our mortgage co is trying to charge us £365 'admin fee' for paying off our mortgage! This is on top of the discharge fee! Ba$tards!) ANYWAY whilst I hate banks very much I still think people should pay off their debts. Partly just because of the ethics, but also (more practically) because the banks will just look at what they have lost and share out the cost between borrowers who do pay their debts. So whilst one selfish person might be laughing their ar$e off on the other side of the world, honest people are being penalised for it. Not good!
Good post. Says it all really
Old Dec 21st 2006, 9:07 am
Chris

tscw1 will become famous soon enough

I've just transferred some money from my bank to a Westpac account under the girlfriend's name. The bank, lets call them LloydsTSB told me I would be charged £20 for the transaction, so we do it, then on the statement now is a charge called agent's fee £3.96. I know the fee is only nominal, but they told me one fee and charged me an extra one without warning, ba$tards!
Old Dec 21st 2006, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

chris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tscw1
I've just transferred some money from my bank to a Westpac account under the girlfriend's name. The bank, lets call them LloydsTSB told me I would be charged £20 for the transaction, so we do it, then on the statement now is a charge called agent's fee £3.96. I know the fee is only nominal, but they told me one fee and charged me an extra one without warning, ba$tards!
thats banks for you, where in tyne & wear you from?
Old Dec 21st 2006, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tscw1
Query it! Don't get too stressed, but put your case firmly and ask them to revoke the charge. If you're prepared to go through with it then threaten to close your account with them. Banks get away with all sorts of naughty charges because most people don't question them. Fight it! Good luck!
Old Dec 21st 2006, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

fastrhino will become famous soon enough

I discussed this with a collegue today, the whole pay all your debts off or just bugger off and stick two fingers up at the banks and so on.

He is firmly of the opinion he as paid £££££££££s in interest and charges, etc

so he is prepared to run the gauntlet ,credit card bill forget it, the mobile phone company he signed up with for 18 months can whistle, so can Mr Murdock for the sky contract, how about AOL,,,,,stuff them too

Like he says, he has paid his way,,,they would not think twice about stuffing his credit rating for one missed payment, so he feels no duty to them at all,,,faceless corporations who make millions and have debt collectors knocking on your door for pennies.

Now I have to admire his honesty and I hope that he can pull it off,,,he is modern day outlaw,,,,going to a country where one of their biggest folk heros is Ned Kelly.

mick

ps this is a genuine work mate not a fictional one
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 12:42 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

We had some appalling dealings with - let us say, Lloyds TSB <G> - when my MIL died. And her husband had been a branch manager!

Some TSB salesman persuaded her to invest almost all her money in TSB unit trusts, with her in her eighties! I had advised against it, but she had been adamant. So I had negotiated a lower fee - which they hadn't honoured and which I had to press for - and they even admitted that the "investment" was inappropriate for someone that age!

After threatening them they refunded the "investment" plus interest for the year or so they'd been held. Actually, since the market had plunged in the meantime she did OK.

Press home the complaint!
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 5:14 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fastrhino
I discussed this with a collegue today, the whole pay all your debts off or just bugger off and stick two fingers up at the banks and so on.

He is firmly of the opinion he as paid £££££££££s in interest and charges, etc

so he is prepared to run the gauntlet ,credit card bill forget it, the mobile phone company he signed up with for 18 months can whistle, so can Mr Murdock for the sky contract, how about AOL,,,,,stuff them too

Like he says, he has paid his way,,,they would not think twice about stuffing his credit rating for one missed payment, so he feels no duty to them at all,,,faceless corporations who make millions and have debt collectors knocking on your door for pennies.

Now I have to admire his honesty and I hope that he can pull it off,,,he is modern day outlaw,,,,going to a country where one of their biggest folk heros is Ned Kelly.

mick

ps this is a genuine work mate not a fictional one
Actually I told the mobile phone to poke it, NTL were last seen trying to chase me for 10GBP (having spent considerably more than that in post to here), the water board decided that I didnt tell them that I was moving so wanted to do me for another 6 months of rates, and the council were threatening me with the bailiff for 9 pounds (actually illegal since its below the amount they can take action for).

There are some niggly little things in life that you just say - b*llloc*s, do your worst thank you very much and skippy the kangaroo says hi. In the end you cant be arsed to stay up all night and spend time and money phoning some call center idiot who really cant grasp that you no longer live in the UK and despite doing the right thing to begin with they still cant manage to close accounts properly.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

There are some niggly little things in life that you just say - b*llloc*s, do your worst thank you very much and skippy the kangaroo says hi. In the end you cant be arsed to stay up all night and spend time and money phoning some call center idiot who really cant grasp that you no longer live in the UK and despite doing the right thing to begin with they still cant manage to close accounts properly.[/QUOTE]

Well said

I have exactly the same thing over very small amounts, water, gas etc.

My biggest problem is with the Inland Revenue. Despite telling me when we left that I didn't owe them anything, in fact they owed me £800.00, the have suddenly conjured up a bill for $12500 that they reckon I owe from 2001 when I was self employed. Wrong in 2001 I was PAYE and even filled in a self assessment for that year.

After numerous phone calls (one lasting 40 minutes) and letters I have told them that I will now only speak to them in person at my home address. I know people on here will say things like I will be thrown in the Tower of London, hung drawn and quartered etc. I don't care anymore
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 7:33 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Jond, not many here would say you should be hung drawn and quartered for that...especially anything related to greedy tax man who is often wrong anyway. Others have a problem with folk running up debts and taking out loans they have no intention of paying off.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 7:52 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by busterboy
Jond, not many here would say you should be hung drawn and quartered for that...especially anything related to greedy tax man who is often wrong anyway. Others have a problem with folk running up debts and taking out loans they have no intention of paying off.
Spot on.