Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To damn hot, whats pont of beautiful country if its to hot to enjoy

To damn hot, whats pont of beautiful country if its to hot to enjoy

Old Dec 7th 2009, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To damn hot, whats pont of beautiful country if its to hot to enjoy

Originally Posted by laguna33p
I agree with dave99. When I was in Perth a few years ago I vividly remember it being too hot, to the point where I was looking for places to hide...but there was no escape. I could never live there because I know I wouldn't tolerate it. Remember, people do die from extreme temperatures.
It was 27 in Perth today, and will be 27 tomorrow. The ave temp in Perth in summer is 31 degrees (max) There are some hot days here and there, but they are far from the norm.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 3:36 pm
Banned

LanceMorgan is an unknown quantity at this point

South East Queensland. Beautiful one day - perfect the next

I spent 4 years there and could not argue with that.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LanceMorgan

And where are you now?

EDIT: Ah - I see you live in Thailand. Why so?

Last edited by Alfresco; Dec 7th 2009 at 6:46 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 6:37 pm
"Its Not for Girls"

Yorky1969 has a spectacular aura aboutYorky1969 has a spectacular aura aboutYorky1969 has a spectacular aura about

Geeez......I have just applied for a visa in Perth. I need to stop reading these posts I think. They just make me fed up.
Originally Posted by dave99
I did forget to put where I was didnt I :P

I am in Perth and it was 36 today thats just to hot for me, I dont think I can last another summer to be honest maybe it is time to start looking for a new place..
Old Dec 7th 2009, 8:54 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LanceMorgan

We lived just south of the Sunshine Coast for almost 2 years. I was really worried about how I would cope with the heat, especially being the delicate English Rose I am, who couldn't go anywhere near the Med through the summer months.

But I coped - and for 9 months of the year the weather was absolutely perfectly gorgeous - some of the remaining 3 months I couldn't venture far from the air con unit, but it wasn't every day and I just made sure I got everything I needed to do early on!

We've just moved to the Blue Mountains - couple of hot days so far but beautiful the rest of the time. Ok, ok, so it was only 2 weeks ago we moved, but hey, I'm doing 'glass full'
Old Dec 7th 2009, 9:18 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

In this county that is "too hot":
- went to a garden party on friday night (we cooled ourselves down with some cold beers)
- xmas bbq on saturday with the kids running around in the garden after dark, playing on the trampoline etc
- sunday went to the beach on bribie then sat in the beer garden at the pacific for a couple of hours.
- monday got home from work and took the little one for a swim in the neighbours pool.

It IS actually possible to do stuff over here, even in the middle of the day. But most people stay in the shade between 12 and 3pm.

Old Dec 7th 2009, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

The weather is ever so lovely today - raining and not cold Hope we continue to have many such days in Mel...
Old Dec 7th 2009, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dave99
I have been here 4 years and dont know if I can face another summer, its just to damn hot already

Whats the point of having this great outdoors life, a beautiful country, if its to damn hot to go out !

Anyone else feel this way
Been here six years and I struggle with summers here too. Lived near Wollongong on the South Coast (2 hours south of Sydney) for 4 years and now live in a small coastal village 35km north of Coffs Harbour on the Mid North Coast, NSW. Coffs Habour, according to a UN report, is supposed to have one of the most temperate climates in the world. Hogwash. We've had 5 floods in 12 months - the last of which made headlines in the UK -and been caught up in a mini tornado which was very frightening. Since the last flood three weeks ago we've had no rain and temperatures of 29-30C for the past two weeks. It's not just the fact it is so hot that is the problem. But that we have to contend with bush fires (we've had a few so far and summer has only just started), drought, mosquitoes, deadly snakes, poisonous spiders, flies and in the summer you can't swim on many beaches in Queensland because of the poisonous jellyfish. The box jellyfish is one of the most dangerous creatures known to man. The pain is excruciating if you are stung by one. The advice in Australia is to stay out of the sun in the summer between 10am and 3pm. I don't want to be stuck indoors for all those hours when I am not at work. It's all very well saying put the air con but it is very expensive to run and not very environmentally-friendly either. The cost of electricity is more expensive in regional Oz than the city and we've just had a 20% hike in prices. We don't have air conditioning,our hot water is solar powered and all our lights are low-energy bulbs because it's a new house and yet our bills is still astronomical. When its very hot you also have to be very careful about how you store and cook food to avoid food poisoning. I am also fed up of having to water the garden everyday. We need rain desperately but not a six-month supply in one hit !!!!
Old Dec 7th 2009, 10:46 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by kips
in the summer you can't swim on many beaches in Queensland because of the poisonous jellyfish.
It doesn't stop many people swimming in South East Queensland. Maybe we don't get them down this way ?

Pretty common up in Far North QLD though....

http://www.reef.crc.org.au/publicati.../Jellyfish.htm

and
The most notable concern when swimming at beaches in Queensland is marine stingers. All Queensland beaches north of Town of Seventeen Seventy (near Gladstone) (that is a 7 hour drive North of Brisbane) can attract the marine stingers during the summer months of the year.
Beaches in the northern section of Queensland have longer stinger seasons than beaches in the south due to the warmer water and greater prevalence of mangrove swamps.

Dangerous Marine Stingers are present at Queensland beaches during the following periods:

From Cape York to Townsville - October to June

From Townsville to Gladstone - December to March

Most popular beaches in areas prone to marine stingers have stinger-resistant enclosures so beachgoers can enjoy swimming throughout the year.
http://www.qldbeaches.com/stingers.html

and for anyone going to Japan....
in recent years Japan has recorded outbreaks of the giant Nomura jellyfish, which can weigh up to 200 kg
Now THAT is some jellyfish

Old Dec 8th 2009, 1:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not just the fact it is so hot that is the problem. But that we have to contend with bush fires (we've had a few so far and summer has only just started), drought, mosquitoes, deadly snakes, poisonous spiders, flies and in the summer you can't swim on many beaches in Queensland because of the poisonous jellyfish. The box jellyfish is one of the most dangerous creatures known to man. The pain is excruciating if you are stung by one. The advice in Australia is to stay out of the sun in the summer between 10am and 3pm. I don't want to be stuck indoors for all those hours when I am not at work. It's all very well saying put the air con but it is very expensive to run and not very environmentally-friendly either. The cost of electricity is more expensive in regional Oz than the city and we've just had a 20% hike in prices. We don't have air conditioning,our hot water is solar powered and all our lights are low-energy bulbs because it's a new house and yet our bills is still astronomical. When its very hot you also have to be very careful about how you store and cook food to avoid food poisoning. I am also fed up of having to water the garden everyday. We need rain desperately but not a six-month supply in one hit !!!!
If you're near Coffs then I don't quite see why you're worried about the odd bluebottle swarm up in QLD. They are relatively rare anyway and the SLS always tell you when they are coming. It sounds horrendous where you are, I rarely see a spider and have only seen one harmless snake around our property. It must be cooler down where you are. I get the impression that you don't actually enjoy living here, never had a problem with food going off, anything that could go off is in the fridge or freezer and they both do their job.

I would also wonder why you're watering the garden if there is little water. Leave it, if it dies it's not the end of the world, and most stuff actually just lies dormant until you get rain and then it all picks up again. We've never watered and have a fair few FNQ plants put in by the previous owner and we were told they would die immediately if we didn't water them. They've gone months and months without water, as soon as a bit of rain comes, they're back to normal.

To be honest, unless it's your grey water, I have really strong feelings about 'proper' water being wasted on plants. It's just wrong.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Been here six years and I struggle with summers here too. Lived near Wollongong on the South Coast (2 hours south of Sydney) for 4 years and now live in a small coastal village 35km north of Coffs Harbour on the Mid North Coast, NSW. Coffs Habour, according to a UN report, is supposed to have one of the most temperate climates in the world. Hogwash. We've had 5 floods in 12 months - the last of which made headlines in the UK -and been caught up in a mini tornado which was very frightening. Since the last flood three weeks ago we've had no rain and temperatures of 29-30C for the past two weeks. It's not just the fact it is so hot that is the problem. But that we have to contend with bush fires (we've had a few so far and summer has only just started), drought, mosquitoes, deadly snakes, poisonous spiders, flies and in the summer you can't swim on many beaches in Queensland because of the poisonous jellyfish. The box jellyfish is one of the most dangerous creatures known to man. The pain is excruciating if you are stung by one. The advice in Australia is to stay out of the sun in the summer between 10am and 3pm. I don't want to be stuck indoors for all those hours when I am not at work. It's all very well saying put the air con but it is very expensive to run and not very environmentally-friendly either. The cost of electricity is more expensive in regional Oz than the city and we've just had a 20% hike in prices. We don't have air conditioning,our hot water is solar powered and all our lights are low-energy bulbs because it's a new house and yet our bills is still astronomical. When its very hot you also have to be very careful about how you store and cook food to avoid food poisoning. I am also fed up of having to water the garden everyday. We need rain desperately but not a six-month supply in one hit !!!!
You forgot the cockroaches. They carry all sorts of diseases and run around the kitchen while your sleeping!!
Old Dec 8th 2009, 2:14 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by markbhx
You forgot the cockroaches. They carry all sorts of diseases and run around the kitchen while your sleeping!!
For sure. I never let New South Welshmen in the house now.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 3:07 am
ABCDiamond

Mortein.....

Old Dec 8th 2009, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Mortein.....
Good for instant death, but doesn't stop the buggers getting in. The barrier spray is useless, its drys up and they walk straight over it.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 3:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Good for instant death, but doesn't stop the buggers getting in. The barrier spray is useless, its drys up and they walk straight over it.
Not in our house they don't. Get sprayed properly and then keep screen doors shut. Not having those feral creatures in here thanks very much - daughter is terrified of them and I'm terrified of the noise she makes if she sees one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.