Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

crime in melbourne

crime in melbourne

Old May 30th 2009, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

husaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant future
Lightbulb Re: crime in melbourne

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
Reason is self defence. Vietmanese and Chinese learn self defence and martial arts in their school program. Vietnamese more prone into handling fight situations, because they have seen the worse during American reign. Sadly not Indians who never learn self defence probably thinking that everybody will respect you because you respect everybody.
And on top of that, I would say no need to be there if you have to resort to carrying knife and roaming in gangs. Though I don't think there is any need for that. This is passing phase and govt will do something about that. Indian students will come out of this stronger. But if you feel it's necessary to carry knife to visit grocery and walking at odd hours, I would say, come back to India on first flight. You have far greater chances of becoming an important publice feagure in India than you will ever have in Australia if you are a hooligan . You are there to make a better future through study and hard work. If that is not happening, I don't see any reason to be there.
Old May 30th 2009, 5:39 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: crime in melbourne

Reason is self defence. Vietmanese and Chinese learn self defence and martial arts in their school program. Vietnamese more prone into handling fight situations, because they have seen the worse during American reign. Sadly not Indians who never learn self defence probably thinking that everybody will respect you because you respect everybody.
That's the biggest load of rubbish I have ever read. What a stereotypical generalisation. Vietnamese and Chinese learn martial arts because they are Vietnamese or Chinese. The Vietnamese are more prone to handling a fight because of the American reign? WTF! Are you serious?

The only Vietnamese or Chinese that learn martial arts are the ones that want to. There are many that don't. Secondly, martial arts isn't going to prevent attackers.

There is a traditional Indian martial art you know.
Old May 30th 2009, 5:42 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by husaing
And on top of that, I would say no need to be there if you have to resort to carrying knife and roaming in gangs. Though I don't think there is any need for that. This is passing phase and govt will do something about that. Indian students will come out of this stronger. But if you feel it's necessary to carry knife to visit grocery and walking at odd hours, I would say, come back to India on first flight. You have far greater chances of becoming an important publice feagure in India than you will ever have in Australia if you are a hooligan . You are there to make a better future through study and hard work. If that is not happening, I don't see any reason to be there.
I thought this site was called British Expats?
Old May 30th 2009, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

husaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Deancm
I thought this site was called British Expats?
Moderators have clarified on this many many times. This is open to all nationalities.
Old May 30th 2009, 5:58 am
Account Closed

Moderators have clarified on this many many times. This is open to all nationalities.
Well that kind of defeats the purpose for a British Expat. Emigrating to another country from the UK is a bit different to emigrating to another country from a country other than the UK. Should rename the site to World Expats.
Old May 30th 2009, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Well that kind of defeats the purpose for a British Expat. Emigrating to another country from the UK is a bit different to emigrating to another country from a country other than the UK. Should rename the site to World Expats.
Pull your head in Dean
Old May 30th 2009, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

Hi Deancm,
I risk being misunderstood here but will still speak my mind. There are two ways of looking at this. Do you think there are no dedicated sites for indians willing to migrate to Australia? Just google around and you will find aplenty. But still BE is hugely (most) popular among Indians, Chinese, Mid easterns etc just because of its quality, content, better regulation, usability etc etc. You can either feel proud of the fact that the site which was meant to be for a small country (founded by british expats only I guess) is catering to the expats from around the world. Or you may suffocate by the overwhelming presence of people of other cultures and nationalities and their concerns being discussed. I think we can do very little about the fact that every third guy in the world is either Indian or Chinese
Old May 30th 2009, 6:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by spart
Pull your head in Dean
For what reason?
Old May 30th 2009, 6:22 am
Account Closed

Hi Deancm,
I risk being misunderstood here but will still speak my mind. There are two ways of looking at this. Do you think there are no dedicated sites for indians willing to migrate to Australia? Just google around and you will find aplenty. But still BE is hugely (most) popular among Indians, Chinese, Mid easterns etc just because of its quality, content, better regulation, usability etc etc. You can either feel proud of the fact that the site which was meant to be for a small country (founded by british expats only I guess) is catering to the expats from around the world. Or you may suffocate by the overwhelming presence of people of other cultures and nationalities and their concerns being discussed. I think we can do very little about the fact that every third guy in the world is either Indian or Chinese
I couldn't give a toss what race/nationality you are. I am talking about relevance. Emigrating to Australia from India is completely different to emigrating from the UK because the UK and India are completely different countries.

As you mentioned the quality of content on the site. Content that is unrelated or irrelevant is only going to dilute the quality of the site.

Now, somebody that was Indian, Chinese or whatever but residing in the UK and planning to emigrate to Australia, then I can see the relevance in that but someone living in China, India or whatever planning to emmigrate is not the same thing and becomes irrelevant to the aim of the site.

Last edited by Deancm; May 30th 2009 at 6:31 am.
Old May 30th 2009, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

I couldn't give a toss what race/nationality you are. I am talking about relevance. Emigrating to Australia from India is completely different to emigrating from the UK because the UK and India are completely different countries.

As you mentioned the quality of content on the site. Content that is unrelated or irrelevant is only going to dilute the quality of the site.
I dont have an option but to agree with you on that. Having said that, there are some common concerns which I had and discussed with people from other nationalities eg. availability of jobs in IT sector in Aus, cost of living, citizenship related questions. But certainly, some concerns will be specific to the coutry and culture you belong to.
Old May 30th 2009, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

This is basically what is being reported in India about Melbourne at present, so it is relevant.

I can understand your feelings about this. I dont think situation is anywhere near as bad as what happened in the UK in the early to mid 70's... IE AFAIK people are not travelling distances to have a go at Indians, lets hope it doesnt get to that stage.

For those that doubt that people did travel, I knew people associated with Football clubs that travelled from South London to Southall when the football season was over.

I also dont buy the self defence association especially when it comes to the Chinese.

I think the main difference between the Chinese and Indians is Indians tend to be seen more late at night, it's that simple, and now this sad fad is out in the open, more idiots want to boast to their mates that they bashed an Indian.

The Police probably do need to be more proactive on this, however the laws need to be applied equally across the board, otherwise Indians will find themselves singled out across the general population, as being different.

This is a real mess at present.
Old May 30th 2009, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

Now, somebody that was Indian, Chinese or whatever but residing in the UK and planning to emigrate to Australia, then I can see the relevance in that but someone living in China, India or whatever planning to emmigrate is not the same thing and becomes irrelevant to the aim of the site.
I agree the primary objective of the site would have been to help British Expats but as the forum became popular people from many other nationalities joined and they were happily embraced by the owners. Now, if you see carefully, this website has become the best forum for sharing views among all kinds of migrants from everywhere. I am sure, owners are earning a substainal amount of $$$ also from the Google Ads being displayed. So more members, more the popularity, more page views, more clicks, more $$$$..
Old May 30th 2009, 7:16 am
Account Closed

I agree the primary objective of the site would have been to help British Expats but as the forum became popular people from many other nationalities joined and they were happily embraced by the owners. Now, if you see carefully, this website has become the best forum for sharing views among all kinds of migrants from everywhere. I am sure, owners are earning a substainal amount of $$$ also from the Google Ads being displayed. So more members, more the popularity, more page views, more clicks, more $$$$..
Theoretically yes. The problem is it could become a victim of it's own success. You see, the more people that come and post information that is not relevant to the mission of the site, the less the site becomes relevant. The less relevant the informaton the less value the site adds to the users. Once the site ceases to add value or be of use, people will move to other more relevant sites and then the site will fade away into the internet ether. No users, no money.
Old May 30th 2009, 7:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
The Police probably do need to be more proactive on this, however the laws need to be applied equally across the board, otherwise Indians will find themselves singled out across the general population, as being different.

This is a real mess at present.
A bit of a catch22 situation as well because the more noise Indians make about it the more it will piss off the Aussies and more attacks could happen. Also, because India is being so vocal about it and threatening to pull students out of Australia, some Aussies might get the idea that if the attacks continue the students will stop coming here or go home.

Last edited by Deancm; May 30th 2009 at 7:39 am.
Old May 30th 2009, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

I think there is a definite, general dislike of the fresh off the boat Indians throughout the general public in Australia though and while no-one deserves to get bashed, many of them don't exactly portray positive attitudes that help themselves or integrate them well into Australian society. The relevance of this is while the general community dislikes them as a group, it will only serve to re-inforce the actions of the more extreme or immature element of society who will commit violence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.