Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

crime in melbourne

crime in melbourne

Old Jun 2nd 2009, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: crime in melbourne

I agree that not labelling situations is a good thing. I was listening to a bloke on the tv recently who said that the worst thing the press can do is give a certain type of crime a title as it makes it seem more sophisticated, especially to kids. What could be more attractive to a vulnerable teenager than being told they are a gang member or someone from the hood, and don't get me started on "happy slapping". I do think there is something to be said for keeping things a bit quiet, although it comes to a point where something is happening so visciously/frequently that the press will hype things up even more. As my little said recently, "I don't understand why everyone can't just get on with each other and stop being so nasty" - out of the mouth of babes!
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 1:29 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ronan_in_Oz
Here you go:

1) You said you can Identify Indians from Srilankans (if I understood you correctly). You ONLY see an Unknown person on the TV and you can tell if he is Indian or Srilankan. This is what I call Rubbish. Nobody can. For your information, India is a huge country bordering Pakistan, Nepal, Burma, bhutan, Bangladesh and China. People from South India appear similar to Srilankans. People from East India appear similar to Chinese or Burmese etc. There are no visible differences.

Well if you can still distinguish, you are a genius.

2) You mentioned that since Indians outnumber Pakistanis and Bangladeshis, the guy you saw on CCTV was clearly an Indian (based on the probability). This is what you said:

"Ironically enough, one of the perpetrators of the train bashing was clearly an Indian."

what kind of reasoning is this??? Rubbish....

Why do we need to waste money on Facial recognition technology when we have people who can so easily identify someone's Nationality from a distorted CCTV image.... I sincerely hope you are not trying to provoke people here with your baseless statements ....
Whoaaaa!!!! Pedantic!

OK, just for your benefit. One of the perpetrators of the train bashing was clearly of Indian/Pakastani/Bangladeshi descent considering they all look the f **ing same.

If I was a betting man I would say Indian.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

moin will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Deancm
Whoaaaa!!!! Pedantic!

OK, just for your benefit. One of the perpetrators of the train bashing was clearly of Indian/Pakastani/Bangladeshi descent considering they all look the f **ing same.

Excellent matey!! now saying that they all f***ing same is f***ing crossing the line!! and its spelled Pakistani and not how you are actually pronouncing it!!
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moin
Excellent matey!! now saying that they all f***ing same is f***ing crossing the line!! and its spelled Pakistani and not how you are actually pronouncing it!!
Typo.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

But these are young Indian students we're talking about - working in McD/KFC/other odd jobs to make ends meet - what bling would they be carrying?

I think [and hope] these are not racist attacks but opportunistic crime - young+alone+foreign country+ travel late night+crime prone area....
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

gsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud ofgsidhu has much to be proud of

G'day/Good evening/Sat-Sri-Akaal folks

Interesting post, i'm from Indian descent, born and raised in Birmingham till the grand old age of 31 before moving to Oz.

I've been in Oz a year now, I personally havent had any problem from crime nor racism here, most of the aussies(of all colours, weight, hairstyles, religion etc..) i've meet have been nice enough, a few twats along the way but nothing to write home about.

The new immigrants coming over be it indian, sri lankans, chinese, welsh etc.. just need to exercise common sense travelling late at night, knowing about known crime hotspots, sussing out situations, not advertising for dell, apple or nokia.

I appreciate that some are only able to get jobs which finish late into the night and can only afford to live in run down areas. But you do have a choice i.e. fly back or stick it out - it really is as simple as that - it will get better

My grandparents and parents had to do it in the UK back in the 50s and 60s, and from what they tell me it was much much worse, this current spat of indian bashings. But thanks to them I've had a good life in the UK and we'll all better for it (Thank u Britain)

What would i like to see over these recent attackers:

1. Indian media to calm down and report in perspective, not make generalising statements about Australia is racist (thats just Bo**ox),
and whip up this hysteria which will just motivate thugs to attack
indians more.

2. VicPolice to dish out some proper long sentences to those attackers
caught. I'm hoping this will deter would be attackers - heres hoping

3. I think this is already being done but Oz and Indians authorities need
to do a much better job on educating prospective students to keep safe.

Unfortunatley scum/thugs/hooligans are in every country its a sad fact of life.

I'm proud and happy of my Indian Heritage, British Heritage and my new life in Oz

Thats my 3 cents over - now lets all get together this long weekend and celebrate with great Aussie PRIDE - the Queens Birthday
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gsidhu
G'day/Good evening/Sat-Sri-Akaal folks
Excellent post
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

Whoaaaa!!!! Pedantic!

Probably you can write a whitepaper on "How to decode the origin of Indian-like face".

FYI - For cleanshaved hair-cut person, it impossible to distinguish between
1. North Indian and West Pakistani
2. Tamil Indian and Srilankan
3. Sikkimi Indian and Nepali
4. Indian Punjabi and Lahori Punjabi
5. Indian Bengali and Bangladeshi

Probably you don't know how many cultures exists in India like we sometimes fail to identify White Aussies, Poms and other europeans. This world is so diverse and according to Darwin's theory - Diversity one the key quality of which plays an important role in the survival of a species. Lets have "unity in diversity"
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sr71
That would be opening a can of worms.
Why chinese are not being targetted, my theories will be (If you don't agree just ignore, no need to be rude )

1. Most of them know martial arts and attacking them may backfire. If you don't agree, try pinching one, it will clear your doubt.

2. They don't mingle as much as Indians, this keeps their nature concealed. The more a community mingles, the more friends and well as Enemies it earns.

3. Average Chinese is comparatively richer than average Indian. So they can afford to live in posh areas and afford to live by doing less risky jobs.

4. Someone rightly pointed out - they mostly have female company. And attackers haven't at least lost respect for women yet.

5. Winning #1 spot in Olympics has created respect of their physical ablities and strength in front of the world. They can proudly say "Chinese are best athletes in the World" and prove it by showing 2008 Olympics medal tally. So attackers know they are not "Soft" targets

6. China has far good economic and diplomatic relations with Australia than India. China does a lot more export/import with Australia. I remember Indo-Aussie relations have got tense many times. The latest one you know, the last one was when Aus refused to supply Uranium to India (for civil purpose) and voted against it at NPT. So in a sense, a chinese may be seen as partners/friends by many Aussies.

Last edited by mpgrewal; Jun 2nd 2009 at 4:21 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
Why chinese are not being targetted, my theories will be (If you don't agree just ignore, no need to be rude )

1. Most of them know martial arts and attacking them may backfire. If you don't agree try pinching one, it will clear your doubt.

2. They don't mingle as much as Indians, this keeps their nature concealed. The more a community mingles, the more friends and well as Enemies it earns.

3. Average Chinese is comparatively richer than average Indian. So they can afford to live in posh areas and afford to live by doing less risky jobs.

4. Someone rightly pointed out - they mostly have female company. And attackers haven't at least lost respect for women yet.

5. Winning #1 spot in Olympics has created respect of their physical ablities and strength in front of the world. They can proudly say "Chinese are best athletes in the World" and prove it by showing 2008 Olympics medal tally. So attackers know they are not "Soft" targets

6. China has far good economic and diplomatic relations with Australia than India. China does a lot more export/import with Australia. I remember Indo-Aussie relations have got tense many times. The latest one you know, the last one was when Aus refused to supply Uranium to India (for civil purpose) and voted against it at NPT. So in a sense, a chinese may be seen as partners/freinds by many Aussies.
Most of us won't think that deep..Thanks for the post!!
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

ronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to all

Whoaaaa!!!! Pedantic!

Well now Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi appear similar to you.. a complete u turn aye...

To be honest Im not surprised... As I said earlier, way to go.....

Last edited by ronan_in_Oz; Jun 2nd 2009 at 6:38 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

ronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to all

1. Most of them know martial arts and attacking them may backfire. If you don't agree, try pinching one, it will clear your doubt.

6. China has far good economic and diplomatic relations with Australia than India. China does a lot more export/import with Australia. I remember Indo-Aussie relations have got tense many times. The latest one you know, the last one was when Aus refused to supply Uranium to India (for civil purpose) and voted against it at NPT. So in a sense, a chinese may be seen as partners/friends by many Aussies.
I doubt if an average person is actually aware or can think of point 5 and 6.

To give you an example, I was reading an article on the Melbourne protests by Indian students. An Aussie lady who was present there got interviewed and she was asked about her reaction on the protest. And she said "Are they Sri Lankans who are protesting?".

Last edited by ronan_in_Oz; Jun 2nd 2009 at 6:57 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ronan_in_Oz
I doubt if an average person is actually aware or can think of point 5 and 6.

To give you an example, I was reading an article on the Melbourne protests by Indian students. An Aussie lady who was present there got interviewed and she was asked about her reaction on the protest. And she said "Are they Sri Lankans who are protesting?".
Exactly my point!!
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

folic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond repute

There's a tiny handful of posters in this thread who have claimed origins in the Sub Continent and who are deliberately goading other posters, imo. So, firstly, they should take a good look at what they've written and why.

As for Chinese supposedly 'knowing martial arts' ... come on, that's really poor. Would the same poster claim 'all negroes have rhythm' or 'all Scots eat oats and wear kilts ' ?

We have a group of young Asians (Chinese) as neighbours and naturally, living in Sydney, we're familiar with a huge Asian presence on daily basis. I can tell you, our Asian neighbours couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. And this leads to another point --- the Asians I've observed are not arrogant -- generally speaking. In fact, they're generally self-effacing and don't challenge. They generally don't show off, or mouth off. Which is intelligent, because they're not physically large or strong, as a general rule.

On the other hand, I had reason, imo, to mention to someone what I considered to be the insufferable arrogance, ignorance and rudeness of many Sub Continentals. This was shortly after we moved to Sydney. The person replied that although Australians were not impressed by them, these Sub Continentals were in fact the wealthier class in their own country and were accustomed to treating people 'like dirt' -- and unfortunately continued to do so after their arrival in Australia. Only then did I begin to understand the situation.

It really behoves the Indian government to explain to those of its people who intend to travel through or live or study in Western nations that it would be in their own best interests to remember 'When in Rome do as the Romans do'. Whilst the Indian students may belong to a privileged class at home, they are not considered anything special in Australia and they'd be wise to bear this in mind.

The other thing the Indian government should do is remind its people that whilst the Australian government might welcome hoardes of Sub Continentals (students or other) into Australia from a purely economic (or strategic) point of view .. such sentiments and open-door policies are not necessarily shared by the majority of the Australian public who in fact pay & employ those temporary Aussie politicians. Small point but relevant. In the very same way as the Indian government promotes India as welcoming Western tourists .. despite that the Indian people may resent those tourists or even harbour decidedly hostile feelings towards them.

Discretion and an awareness that Australia has vastly different attitudes, expections, values, etc. to Sub Continental nations, should form a major part of the personal security and survival package taken on board by people from other nations prior to their arrival in Australia. Australia is not going to bend over backwards to 'fit in' with the expectations and demands of foreigners or their media and government. It is the foreigners who must, of necessity and common sense, 'fit in' with Australia.

It's up to the Indian students to study survivors (people have mentioned the Chinese, for example) and how they comport themselves .. then adopt those same behaviours in addition to making whatever adjustments are necessary to ensure their own survival in a strange land. If that means dressing-down or moving out of a comfortable ghetto situation and into a different location within Melbourne, then such will be far more effective re: their personal security than arranging protests which may well backfire in their faces and further aggravate their situation. It would be wise for the foreign students also to establish friendships, etc. with others, rather than banding together with their own kind almost exclusively.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 9:09 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry with respect I disagree on these two the others I liked. Your average bloke who conducts these attacks knowledge of the above two facts would be minimal.

"You grab his bag after I knock him down"
"No way mate , hes chinese we owe them them after the vote in the NPT"

Your giving these violent f**kknuckles way too much credit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.