Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

Old Jan 11th 2011, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

audie123 is just really niceaudie123 is just really niceaudie123 is just really niceaudie123 is just really niceaudie123 is just really niceaudie123 is just really niceaudie123 is just really niceaudie123 is just really nice
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

Originally Posted by fiz
Audie-not sure if you have seen this already but there is a new posting on the other well known forum which relates to submissions re immigration problems over disability...there is apparently a group meeting with a Minister and a deadline of jan 31st for adding cases/info.

Don't know how to pass on an exact link to this thread-perhaps someone else can help?

Fiz

Dear Fiz

you have been such a support to me and Ithank you so much. I am sorry that I haven't contacted you before this - I have not been too well and we had to put our very dear litle cat SUshi to sleep this week. She was 18 and is very much missed.

I will be pm'ing you shortly. I'm almost ready to make up my mind on whether to go to the migration review board and also set myself up with the Minister's appeal.

will be in touch this morning

I want to send hugs to you

have a good day

audie
Old Jan 11th 2011, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

jtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

Originally Posted by MikenSueNW3
I disagree strongly – opinions are OK, but there is a right and wrong way of expressing them in this context.

I'm off elsewhere. Byee

Mike
Might be the Aussie way (which no doubt I will get used to in time) but goes against the grain of everything I was brought up to believe and how to behave.

I'm not that sensative but I was a little shocked by this outburst - must be all the rain putting folk in a bad mood!
Old Jan 11th 2011, 2:13 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by audie123
Actually while we are on this topic - is there a rule where we cannot be on more than one forum - to be unable to MENTION some useful info from another site?
There is no such. People can be members of as many forums/sites as they wish. That's your propagative, and neither myself or the moderators, would ever suggest that someone could only be a member at one place. However, as I hope you can understand we don't allow members to cut and paste content from other forums and post it here due to copyright issues etc.

I may have read rules in the begining saying that it is not permitted to mention another forum but that doesn't make sense.
Again there is no such rule, and as such if you've read such a rule you did not read it here. The only rule where we mention other communities is rule 8 which states: "We realize members of BritishExpats may also be members of other forums/communities, do not try to degrade or discredit other forums/communities, their administrators, moderators, or their members."

Sue
Old Jan 11th 2011, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

MikenSueNW3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would quote MikenSue as well. It seems that all the moderators have changed and NOT for the better.

To have one of our moderators saying that someone posted a load of crap is less than acceptable.

The comments people make are indeed their own opionions and very often they are qualified with the statement - I am not an expert so do check with an agent, lawyer etc etc.

This forum has descended into rude and crass name calling - not the place for me.

Actually while we are on this topic - is there a rule where we cannot be on more than one forum - to be unable to MENTION some useful info from another site? - I may have read rules in the begining saying that it is not permitted to mention another forum but that doesn't make sense . We are permitted to watch several stations on tv and comment. We are able to read many newspapers from the UK, Canada and AUstralia and agree or disagree with whatever is our feeling. Is this site above this?

At the moment my situation is very stressful - I have received helpful information from people on two forums. I don't take as gospel everything tht is sent to me - I read it though and then decide myself whether it is relevant to me. What is important is that there are people out there who both need and want help or just someone to talk to.

Our friends and family (especially those who are really not keen on us leaving them) do not want to hear about our visas woes, so we need this forum to be upbeat sometimes, to be sympathetic and definitely not to be told that their posts are CRAP.

I would have thought that rudeness should not be tolerated - especially by the moderators. Actually I did not even realise that we had moderators before all this vegemite stuff. I am happy to say that I can still talk with our vegemite friend and many of the others on PIO and if this means that I will be expelled fromm BE - so be it! I actually think the whole thing is ridiculous. I just popped in today as I have ill all week and that has woken me up, so for that I thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!
audie
Here, here; and thanks, Audie.

Mike
Old Jan 11th 2011, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

Dear Fiz

you have been such a support to me and Ithank you so much. I am sorry that I haven't contacted you before this - I have not been too well and we had to put our very dear litle cat SUshi to sleep this week. She was 18 and is very much missed.

I will be pm'ing you shortly. I'm almost ready to make up my mind on whether to go to the migration review board and also set myself up with the Minister's appeal.

have a good day

audie
Our greatest sympathies, Audie. Have strength.

Mike
Old Jan 11th 2011, 10:47 am
Just Joined

DavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to all

I would quote MikenSue as well. It seems that all the moderators have changed and NOT for the better.

To have one of our moderators saying that someone posted a load of crap is less than acceptable.

The comments people make are indeed their own opionions and very often they are qualified with the statement - I am not an expert so do check with an agent, lawyer etc etc.

This forum has descended into rude and crass name calling - not the place for me.

Actually while we are on this topic - is there a rule where we cannot be on more than one forum - to be unable to MENTION some useful info from another site? - I may have read rules in the begining saying that it is not permitted to mention another forum but that doesn't make sense . We are permitted to watch several stations on tv and comment. We are able to read many newspapers from the UK, Canada and AUstralia and agree or disagree with whatever is our feeling. Is this site above this?

At the moment my situation is very stressful - I have received helpful information from people on two forums. I don't take as gospel everything tht is sent to me - I read it though and then decide myself whether it is relevant to me. What is important is that there are people out there who both need and want help or just someone to talk to.

Our friends and family (especially those who are really not keen on us leaving them) do not want to hear about our visas woes, so we need this forum to be upbeat sometimes, to be sympathetic and definitely not to be told that their posts are CRAP.

I would have thought that rudeness should not be tolerated - especially by the moderators. Actually I did not even realise that we had moderators before all this vegemite stuff. I am happy to say that I can still talk with our vegemite friend and many of the others on PIO and if this means that I will be expelled fromm BE - so be it! I actually think the whole thing is ridiculous. I just popped in today as I have ill all week and that has woken me up, so for that I thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!
audie
Dear Audie

thank you for voicing my thoughts exactly - it was me that started the whole "will a UK fridge/freezer be good enough for Australia" because I had genuinely heard that it would not and I have to consider the value of shipping it. I did not expect my question to be described as a load of crap either. I have never moved to a hot climate before so some of my questions may be stupid to those who have but they are genuine, and I certainly have received lots of advice from forumites which I value - but only abuse from Moderators who seem to think that because they are volunteers they can be rude and thoughtless. I will probably not bother with this thread anymore and stick to PIO.

Gill
Old Jan 11th 2011, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

yomvard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DavidandGill
Dear Audie

thank you for voicing my thoughts exactly - it was me that started the whole "will a UK fridge/freezer be good enough for Australia" because I had genuinely heard that it would not and I have to consider the value of shipping it. I did not expect my question to be described as a load of crap either. I have never moved to a hot climate before so some of my questions may be stupid to those who have but they are genuine, and I certainly have received lots of advice from forumites which I value - but only abuse from Moderators who seem to think that because they are volunteers they can be rude and thoughtless. I will probably not bother with this thread anymore and stick to PIO.

Gill
And so say all of us...I too had my hand slapped for trying to help Phoebe by daring to mention someone on the other site that would be able to help her. None of us know what we are doing when we start out on this journey, even once we have our visa and trying to sort out the best way to go. Nobody should be made to feel stupid for asking any question that they feel is necessary for info. Certainly not being told they talk crap...not impressed, lets face it, it wouldn't have happened on the other site would it girls and boys !!
Audie, lovely to hear from you ... please keep going and hope you will soon feel better.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 8:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I don't expect my post to be greeted with open arms, but here goes.

I'm sure most of you are aware of the horrendous floods affecting large parts of Queensland. BE has always been a really strong community when a disaster like this hits, and we lean on each other and help each other out when we can.

Sue has started a forum for posts about or concerning the floods. We are trying to make the forum as visible as possible in order to help posters find out what has happened to their friends and family. I thought I'd just post the link in here as you may find info in there that's helpful if you or your families are affected, and likewise if you have any info that might help others, its a good place to share.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sue
There is no such. People can be members of as many forums/sites as they wish. That's your propagative, and neither myself or the moderators, would ever suggest that someone could only be a member at one place. However, as I hope you can understand we don't allow members to cut and paste content from other forums and post it here due to copyright issues etc.

Again there is no such rule, and as such if you've read such a rule you did not read it here. The only rule where we mention other communities is rule 8 which states: "We realize members of BritishExpats may also be members of other forums/communities, do not try to degrade or discredit other forums/communities, their administrators, moderators, or their members."

Sue
In that case, it seems strange that the "system" blocks out a URL link to a particular piece of information on another forum that a member may find interesting or useful. As a result one has to resort to using cryptonyms and hoping that the reader cottons on to one's meaning!

Mike
Old Jan 12th 2011, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by yomvard
And so say all of us...I too had my hand slapped for trying to help Phoebe by daring to mention someone on the other site that would be able to help her. None of us know what we are doing when we start out on this journey, even once we have our visa and trying to sort out the best way to go. Nobody should be made to feel stupid for asking any question that they feel is necessary for info. Certainly not being told they talk crap...not impressed, lets face it, it wouldn't have happened on the other site would it girls and boys !!
Audie, lovely to hear from you ... please keep going and hope you will soon feel better.
Here, here
Old Jan 12th 2011, 9:30 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikenSueNW3
In that case, it seems strange that the "system" blocks out a URL link to a particular piece of information on another forum that a member may find interesting or useful. As a result one has to resort to using cryptonyms and hoping that the reader cottons on to one's meaning!

Mike
Unfortunately we do get issues with spam from time to time and we do have to put the odd site on our censor, but that is only used as a last resort. However lets not go down that road especially in light of Pollyana's post ... there are lots of people suffering right now and all Pollyana was trying to do was highlight how members of BE are reaching out each other, and to those that may need our help. Repeatedly bringing up issues regarding another forum, and the splitting of a thread, seems very insignificant when other members of BE, and their families, may be going through a very difficult time right now.

It seems that a very small handful of people assume that myself and the moderators do not care about the other members of this site and I can assure you this is not the case. We've seen people through illness, bereavement, job losses and other things that aren't appropriate for me to go into right now. And we've always been there for each other, as the members have been there for one another.

At the end of the day, for many of us, BE is a big giant family, and as in all families we may disagree with each other from time to time, or may have a bad day and take it out on the other person, but we are still family and we are always there for each other

I'm sure you will join me in sending your thoughts and prayers to those caught up in this terrible flood.

Sue
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Dear Fiz

have a good day

audie
PS to my earlier reply: I have now PMed you – hope it helps.

Incidentally, I have now heard from G Palmer, so maybe more soon.

Mike
Old Jan 24th 2011, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

jtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to behold

Over here in Adelaide for our annual trip and noticed there has been very little action on this thread for a while.

Are we all talking again?

Having a ball - great being with all the family. Been to several 'opens' in areas we like - the prices are stable but with the pound behaving so badly we've had to trim our budget considerably. Still lots available, just a little smaller.

Great weather - averaging 26-30 but 34 on Sunday when we had our family beach picnic at Silver Sands near Aldinga. Thank goodness we have a pool and aircon.

Good to see we're slowly climbing the ladder and who knows, we may be on our way here this time next year.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:33 pm
fiz
Forum Regular

fiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jtct
Over here in Adelaide for our annual trip and noticed there has been very little action on this thread for a while.

Are we all talking again?

Having a ball - great being with all the family. Been to several 'opens' in areas we like - the prices are stable but with the pound behaving so badly we've had to trim our budget considerably. Still lots available, just a little smaller.

Great weather - averaging 26-30 but 34 on Sunday when we had our family beach picnic at Silver Sands near Aldinga. Thank goodness we have a pool and aircon.

Good to see we're slowly climbing the ladder and who knows, we may be on our way here this time next year.
Well I'm still here-it's a real shame that this forum has become so diminished isn't it? Saw a programme on Adelaide last week (one of the Phil down under ones)-it looks beautiful. One of my ambitions when I move to Sydney is to see a bit more of Oz-I've been out 9 times and never been further from Sydney than the Hunter valley!

House prices-and the pound! Did you see the report saying how Sydney (closely followed by other Oz cities) was the 2nd most unaffordable in the world?! And that's before they add in the pound factor.
Still, we have chosen to follow this route and all the advantages will make up for the money side, I'm sure
Enjoy the rest of your visit-the next year will fly by...!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

We can still afford something nice in Adelaide as long as the pound doesn't go too low. Saw this beauty yesterday - what a view! May still be able to afford if if we have less new furniture for a while.

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...vale-107077357

Sydney prices are very much higher so it looks like SA is definitely the place for us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.