Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Costs associated with a 457

Costs associated with a 457

Old Dec 13th 2008, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

ramlmmjem is on a distinguished road
Default Costs associated with a 457

Well, it looks as though I may have an offer of a job. I'd be coming on a 457 and wonder whether anyone could briefly (unless they have loads of time!) go through the costs associated with this. I'm assuming the greatest would be the fees and the medical but would appreciate confirmation.

Many thanks

Alistair
Old Dec 13th 2008, 8:10 am
Mikey82

Mike82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Costs associated with a 457

Originally Posted by ramlmmjem
Well, it looks as though I may have an offer of a job. I'd be coming on a 457 and wonder whether anyone could briefly (unless they have loads of time!) go through the costs associated with this. I'm assuming the greatest would be the fees and the medical but would appreciate confirmation.

Many thanks

Alistair

Hi Alistair

The only part we needded to pay was for the medicals, which for me and my fiancee with no tatoos cost 500 quid. I would shop around for these as some prices vary, you can get a list of approved medical centres from the dep immigration website. The sponsoring company I am going to work for have paid for Visa, Shipping, flights and they have said they will reimburse the costs of the medicals when we arrive! So its working out we dont pay a thing!! Leave UK 27th January and it cant come quick enough, nerves starting to kick in a wee bit with Claire tho!

Hope this helps, All the best and good luck

Mike
Old Dec 13th 2008, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Costs associated with a 457

When we came over on a 457 (almost 3 years ago) we only had to have a medical for our daughter (she was 2 at the time). For DH & I we just had to have x-rays, no medicals. I think all in it came to about £400-ish, which the sponsoring company reimbursed (in AUD) once we arrived.

We didn't have time to shop around for the medical & xrays (we were out here within a couple of months of DH being offered the job!) so just went for the closest one to us
Old Dec 14th 2008, 10:39 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ramlmmjem

Many thanks

Alistair
My firm paid for all the fee's once I had passed the mandatory 3 month probation. Also paid my airfare and my families medical fees.
Just watch if you have kids(?) and moving the NSW, I understand you have to pay school fees on a 457.

Don't forget the requirements for the 457 visa, if you get laid off/sacked you have 28 days to find a new employer willing to take you on, or leave the country.

You will be entitled to reciprocal health care for immediate and necessary medical treatment.

Good luck.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I didn't have to have a medical for my first 457. On the second 457 I just had to have an x-ray to check for TB, which my employer/sponsor paid.

However - other costs associated with a 457 include:

You may have to pay for medical insurance. If you are British then you are entitled to medicare - but your employer may write it into your contract that you must also have private insurance while on a 457. I'm paying $2,500 a year for it. It's deducted from salary so I can't get out of it. Since it's more for my employer to get out of being responsible for any medical fees that I incur while here, rather than for my benefit, I see it as a cost. I'd be happy with just accident and emergency insurance, but they have me on an everything inclusive policy (including pregnancy - despite being male!)

You may have a clause written into your contract that you have to pay back some of your relocation costs should you leave within a set time. Depends what your plans are whether this is enforced. The last foreigner who left this place got out of this clause by taking paid holiday, moving abroad, then telling the boss that he wasn't coming back after he had used all his holiday pay.

Make sure that you get any promises from the employer in writing. I had a couple of relocation costs promised verbally over the phone before I came, although when I tried to claim them I was told I couldn't (by the same person). For things like flights.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

ramlmmjem is on a distinguished road

Thanks a lot! Very helpful.

All the best to everyone for a good festive season and a very happy new year.

Alistair