Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any University Lecturers Done the Move to Oz?

Any University Lecturers Done the Move to Oz?

Old Dec 22nd 2008, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

ramlmmjem is on a distinguished road
Default Any University Lecturers Done the Move to Oz?

I'm very seriously considering a move to a Senior Lecturing post in an Adelaide university (have received the offer). Is there anyone here who's moved from a UK to an Australian university who can give an un-censored comparison to working in the two sectors as an aid to the final thinking over the holiday?

Alistair
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Any University Lecturers Done the Move to Oz?

Sorry I can't help you, but I work for a UK Uni (admin not teaching though) and I am looking at doing what you are doing, going from here to an Adelaide uni.

If it is not rude of me to ask, how did you obtain your position (I am not asking for specifics just general stuff) such as did you fly over for the interview of was it over the telephone etc.

I am an Aussie though so I am lucky I don't have to worry about Visa's etc. If there is any info you would like I would gladly help you.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Grant funding is harder to come by in Oz than the UK, so that's a big issue for your research. The teaching side of things is similar, maybe a little less arduous here in Oz preparation wise but it probably varies more from Uni to Uni than country to country. Some Unis have 7am lectures which can be a shock to the system :-)

Be aware of the status of the Unis in Adelaide - Uni of Adelaide is good, Flinders OK, Uni of South Australia pretty poor (by local league tables etc). This will affect funding success big time.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by seayork2002
Sorry I can't help you, but I work for a UK Uni (admin not teaching though) and I am looking at doing what you are doing, going from here to an Adelaide uni.

If it is not rude of me to ask, how did you obtain your position (I am not asking for specifics just general stuff) such as did you fly over for the interview of was it over the telephone etc.

I am an Aussie though so I am lucky I don't have to worry about Visa's etc. If there is any info you would like I would gladly help you.
I've replied privately to you.

Regards

Alistair
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Anne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really nice

Originally Posted by James516
Grant funding is harder to come by in Oz than the UK, so that's a big issue for your research. The teaching side of things is similar, maybe a little less arduous here in Oz preparation wise but it probably varies more from Uni to Uni than country to country. Some Unis have 7am lectures which can be a shock to the system :-)

Be aware of the status of the Unis in Adelaide - Uni of Adelaide is good, Flinders OK, Uni of South Australia pretty poor (by local league tables etc). This will affect funding success big time.
hi, where can I see the tables of the universities to see how good they are? thx
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by just4us_5
hi, where can I see the tables of the universities to see how good they are? thx
If you go to:

http://www.topuniversities.com/unive.../fullrankings/

You'll see that in the laterst Times Higher rankings:

Adelaide is 106th in the world
Flinders is 273rd in the world
University of South Australia is 303rd

Uni of SA is bigger than the other two put together.

Alistair